40 yards of gold (Ted Ginn Jr.) (1 Viewer)

A few of the contestants and their times (I tried to make sure it was official times because some of the unofficial pro day times are always like .5 seconds off)

Ginn - 4.28
Ford - 4.28
Waynes - 4.31
Franklin - 4.32
Rodgers-Cromartie - 4.33
Anderson - 4.34
Coleman - 4.37
Cohen - 4.42
James - 4.48
Byard - 4.49
Baker - 4.53
Kamara - 4.56
Hunt - 4.62

Cool deal and I'll likely catch it if I can, but is anyone else here surprised this is happening in this day and age? Teams are usually fairly strict now about offseason activities that might result in injuries. The last offseason made-for-TV contest I can remember was the Quarterback Challenge contests, in the 1990s. It spawned a video game on Nintendo, IIRC.

All that said, I'll be pulling for whichever Saints players are taking part :)

DRC and a LB among the field? I don't see them having a chance. I think personality has a lot to do with who competes.

Not that I'm against Ginn but I'm pretty sure that 4.28 was during the year he was drafted which was 2007. I know he is still in very good shape but years of pounding, injuries, etc play a big part in if he can maintain that speed. He is still a very fast player but I'll put money he doesn't run under a 4.3 where some of these other guys are still very young and healthy.

I wish this was more of “a thing.” I have always been curious about how players’ 40 times age over time.

Does everyone get slower when they get to the league? Does everyone get slower at age 28-30? If so, how much slower? Does anyone get faster? If so, at what age? How much slower does a guy’s 40 time get when he isn’t specifically training for it as he did coming out of college? All questions I have pondered in my years of watching football.

Ted Ginn and some of these other guys will be great test studies.

But why?

It's about time they started this again. Replace the pro-bowl with stuff like this.

Excellent idea. Let the Pro Bowl list be just a list, not a game. Do individual skill competitions with each position. Can you imagine if this had been done back in the day? Morten Andersen and someone like Jason Hansen could have kept backing up five yards at a time to see who'd be the first one to miss!

Because I could care less about who wins. Because regardless of whoever wins, some one will claim that if they raced again, THEY would win. It's all about me... me... me. And frankly I'm so tired of that.

Ask me how many track meets I have watched in my life... and the answer would be one to none... so why would I want to watch this.

Furthermore, it's a publicity stunt and don't we already have enough of those.

Last thought... it's actually more fun to listen to them chip to each other about who's the fastest than to watch the race.

Excellent idea. Let the Pro Bowl list be just a list, not a game. Do individual skill competitions with each position. Can you imagine if this had been done back in the day? Morten Andersen and someone like Jason Hansen could have kept backing up five yards at a time to see who'd be the first one to miss!

I really like this concept. No one cares about the pro-bowl game anymore because players are limited in what they can do and put forth little to no effort. If it was a competition of position skills instead I think players would be more inclined to give their all to win, especially for the notariety of being the best and maybe even put a monetary prize for first place and the Conference with the most winners gets home field in the Super Bowl.

I really like this concept. No one cares about the pro-bowl game anymore because players are limited in what they can do and put forth little to no effort. If it was a competition of position skills instead I think players would be more inclined to give their all to win, especially for the notariety of being the best and maybe even put a monetary prize for first place and the Conference with the most winners gets home field in the Super Bowl.

Home jerseys, that is, right? League wouldn't want the game played in the Dome every year ;)

Because I could care less about who wins. Because regardless of whoever wins, some one will claim that if they raced again, THEY would win. It's all about me... me... me.

Like how nobody does that in the annual NBA dunk contests?

Do you feel the same way about all individual competitions like golf?

I'll be watching.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom