Saints 49er vs Saints (1 Viewer)

Very difficult matchup.

@B-Train , when you say "very difficult matchup", do you mean in general like any two 10-2 NFL teams playing each other, or specifically?

For instance, I think the Saints O running game between the tackles (particularly to the right side C gap) is a favorable matchup for us. I think the Saints D's ability to stop the run is a favorable matchup for us. I also think the Saints STs is a favorable matchup for us.

Is the very difficult matchup for the Saints O's pass protection in your opinion? The Saints D's short middle pass defense?

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but just feel the Saints may lay an egg Sunday like the first Falcons' game. Niners have a better overall defense and there are question marks on the left side of the Saints offensive line. Remember, we are not playing the Bucs, Cards or Jaguars.

Still I hope they win.

31-17 Saints
Sacred score. I almost went with it too but just don't see it happening.

With my 27-20 prediction, I'd like it to be 24-14 at the halfway through the fourth quarter and we just keep pounding the rock to run time off the clock and we manage a field goal and only allow them two FGs to make the game look closer than it really was. Kind of like the Dallas score looks a lot closer than it was from last night.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but just feel the Saints may lay an egg Sunday like the first Falcons' game. Niners have a better overall defense and there are question marks on the left side of the Saints offensive line. Remember, we are not playing the Bucs, Cards or Jaguars.

Still I hope they win.
There is no way this team is coming out and laying an egg for this game. And with Armstead looking to be back, Easton playing seemingly just as well as Peat (even though we don't know if he's the mauler Peat is in the run game) and Line being back to bust open holes for the running game, there really aren't the question marks you're talking about. Their wide nine is easier than a traditional front to run on. And our run defense is better than theirs. They've shown that if they can't run the ball effectively and have to put it on Jimmy G, they aren't this unbeatable team everyone makes them out to be.

So just don't be a Debbie Downer and be more of a realist.

@B-Train , when you say "very difficult matchup", do you mean in general like any two 10-2 NFL teams playing each other, or specifically?

For instance, I think the Saints O running game between the tackles (particularly to the right side C gap) is a favorable matchup for us. I think the Saints D's ability to stop the run is a favorable matchup for us. I also think the Saints STs is a favorable matchup for us.

Is the very difficult matchup for the Saints O's pass protection in your opinion? The Saints D's short middle pass defense?
I’m looking at it more holistically. Overall defense, theirs is better. Overall offense, theirs is better. I don’t have as good an eye for the X’s and O’s That you might have. I understand that the “overall” statistics are a bit misleading and also don’t account for the fact that the saints are playing at home after a mini-bye whereas the 49ers are on their second rod game in a row with lots of travel.

I’m looking at it more holistically. Overall defense, theirs is better. Overall offense, theirs is better. I don’t have as good an eye for the X’s and O’s That you might have. I understand that the “overall” statistics are a bit misleading and also don’t account for the fact that the saints are playing at home after a mini-bye whereas the 49ers are on their second rod game in a row with lots of travel.
I really think their overall offense wouldn't be ranked higher than ours if we didn't play 5 low scoring games with TB under center. I'll bet if you took the time to average out our offense under Brees and compared it to theirs, we'd be ranked higher than them.

The 9ers have lost two of their last 4 and played a brutal game this past weekend. They stayed in Florida, so travel isn't going to be the issue I hoped it would, but I still think our offense with Brees matches up better against their defense than their offense does against our stout run defense. They have proven that the NEED the running game to not just be good, but to dominate, for their offense to hum along. Put it on Garoppolo and we'll definitely force them into some bad situations and likely get a couple picks - as long as we don't come out too amped up like we did against Atlanta on Thanksgiving and commit a bunch of stupid penalties on defense for the entire first quarter. Our run defense is much better than theirs. I think we're allowing around 85 ypg and they're giving up around 115.

I really think their overall offense wouldn't be ranked higher than ours if we didn't play 5 low scoring games with TB under center. I'll bet if you took the time to average out our offense under Brees and compared it to theirs, we'd be ranked higher than them.

Also, when I was looking at some numbers this week, I realized the Saints O has played 6 of 12 games against rush defenses that were ranked # 2 (Tampa x 2) , # 3 (Bears), # 4 (Rams), and # 7 (Falcons x 2) in yards allowed per carry. So the Saints O might actually be better at running the ball than we might otherwise think.

26-24 Saints - Lutz will come through big in this one. I can see a fast start by SF, but we keep chipping away, putting up points and take over the game. 49ers make a few mistakes that will stall drives and add 1-2 turnovers.

Thats a great stat. I hope we lean on it. If we challenge their secondary, there will be turnovers.

Also, when I was looking at some numbers this week, I realized the Saints O has played 6 of 12 games against rush defenses that were ranked # 2 (Tampa x 2) , # 3 (Bears), # 4 (Rams), and # 7 (Falcons x 2) in yards allowed per carry. So the Saints O might actually be better at running the ball than we might otherwise think.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom