49ers analyst suspended over racist comments about Lamar Jackson (2 Viewers)

I'm kind of confused on this one.

Should we ignore that Lamar Jackson is black or that contrasting colors are easier for the human eye to detect?

If the same guy said that Boise State gets more interceptions at home because QB's have difficulty picking up the blue jerseys against the blue field would we all be ok with it?

If the 49ers don't think similar colors and eliminating contrast make it more difficult for the human eye to pick up then why do their linemen where glove colors that match the opposing teams colors as closely as possible to minimize holding calls? Maybe we are trying to pretend Lamar Jackson isn't black or maybe we've gotten way too sensitive.

With all that said, what an idiot that guy is for making a comment that references any person's color in today's world regardless of the reason.

I'm kind of confused on this one.

Should we ignore that Lamar Jackson is black or that contrasting colors are easier for the human eye to detect?

If the same guy said that Boise State gets more interceptions at home because QB's have difficulty picking up the blue jerseys against the blue field would we all be ok with it?

If the 49ers don't think similar colors and eliminating contrast make it more difficult for the human eye to pick up then why do their linemen where glove colors that match the opposing teams colors as closely as possible to minimize holding calls? Maybe we are trying to pretend Lamar Jackson isn't black or maybe we've gotten way too sensitive.

With all that said, what an idiot that guy is for making a comment that references any person's color in today's world regardless of the reason.
Yup. What the guy said is racial, not racist. His error was to say anything racial at all. Only people of certain races are permitted in today's society to make remarks about race, even if they're true, and Tim Ryan is not one of them.

Article on Foxsports.com

From the article:

Ryan made the comments Monday in an interview on the 49ers’ flagship radio station KNBR when describing Jackson’s ability to fake handoffs and keep the ball on runs that hurt San Francisco in a 20-17 loss to the Ravens last week.
“He’s really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin color with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing,” Ryan said on air. “I mean you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point.”

What's crazy is that I thought the exact same thing while watching the game on Sunday. It literally seemed as if the ball disappeared at times during his fakes.

I don't see anything racist about this observation. Admittedly, I am white, but to me it just seems a logical observation. Are we no longer allowed to point out logic?

He didn't say he could run faster, or jump higher, or any other stereo-type. He said that it seemed as if the ball disappeared at times. Which it did.

My wife, an ICU nurse, says that it is harder for her to start IV's on black people because it's harder to make out the veins against the darker skin than it is with lighter skin. Is she now racist? Or is she merely pointing out a logical fact?

And to those who state that he shouldn't have said that in today's climate, isn't that a problem in and of itself? We have to refrain from saying logical statements for fear that some may find it offensive, no matter how bizarre and irrational their thought process might be? Why should he have to censor himself in such a manner?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom