49ers analyst suspended over racist comments about Lamar Jackson (1 Viewer)

Seemed more of an observation than anything else. Not sure how Ryan was degrading the black race with this comment. If the ball was peach colored, would we be offended if the races were swapped out. Not particularly tactful commentary but not racist in my opinion.

Or... until you play the Seachickens ?

... and to the point of another post... should he censor himself of a logical observation, no... of course not, although in this day and age his goatee could offend some group or person or another... irregardless BROADCASTING such things is beyond stupid, as a radio broadcaster he has to hold a FCC license and always be concise and deliberate about how he says or does anything way more strenuously than this....

... unless he his Herbert I suppose ?
Regardless. Irregardless ain't a word. ?

Sucks for him. It’s a valid observation and doesn’t disparage the fact that he’s African American — however, as many have pointed out — when you are in the public eye, broadcasting to the public, you just can’t say anything that can be misconstrued as racist or racially insensitive.

It was a poor decision.
This is my line of thought as well.

I don't think your wife is racist. And in my opinion, there are two factors separating Ryan's comments from her observations.

1) discussing something that makes her job harder in a pragmatic way is a normal human function. And discussing it with her husband in her home is again considered a normal function.

2) If, while she was attempting to start an IV on a person with a dark complexion, a random observer started pointing out the difficulty she was having in a way that made both her and the patient feel self-conscious about it, well probably more than one person would tell them to shut up.
To Point 1: Is the fact that the complexion of skin camoflauging the ball that was darker because it was wet not making the job of the players on defense harder in a pragmatic way?

To Point 2: If she were discussing this fact with fellow nurse co-workers both white and black and they all unanimously agreed, but an aide, who is black, overheard the conversation and felt offended, is it now inappropriate to discuss?

The issue for me is that we should not have to censor logical observations for fear that those with over-heightened sensibilities would find said observation offensive.

I'm kind of confused on this one.

Should we ignore that Lamar Jackson is black or that contrasting colors are easier for the human eye to detect?

If the same guy said that Boise State gets more interceptions at home because QB's have difficulty picking up the blue jerseys against the blue field would we all be ok with it?

If the 49ers don't think similar colors and eliminating contrast make it more difficult for the human eye to pick up then why do their linemen where glove colors that match the opposing teams colors as closely as possible to minimize holding calls? Maybe we are trying to pretend Lamar Jackson isn't black or maybe we've gotten way too sensitive.

With all that said, what an idiot that guy is for making a comment that references any person's color in today's world regardless of the reason.
From start to finish, this is (IMHO) a great response. :melike:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom