49ers analyst suspended over racist comments about Lamar Jackson (1 Viewer)

I just can't comprehend what this dude was thinking :cautious:

I see nothing wrong of what he said. It was his option. All he said was dark skin, dark football and dark uniforms. This country has become too thin skinned and wants to scream racist for every little thing. He didn’t call him a name, now that would be different if he did. Go ahead and blast me out for my opinion. LOL!! ?

I'm kind of confused on this one.

Should we ignore that Lamar Jackson is black or that contrasting colors are easier for the human eye to detect?

If the same guy said that Boise State gets more interceptions at home because QB's have difficulty picking up the blue jerseys against the blue field would we all be ok with it?

If the 49ers don't think similar colors and eliminating contrast make it more difficult for the human eye to pick up then why do their linemen where glove colors that match the opposing teams colors as closely as possible to minimize holding calls? Maybe we are trying to pretend Lamar Jackson isn't black or maybe we've gotten way too sensitive.

With all that said, what an idiot that guy is for making a comment that references any person's color in today's world regardless of the reason.
I agree, the word racist is being thrown around ridiculously now...

Of course a team could always make their uniforms out of this print

1575545605215.png

Costello: Well then who has the ball?

Abbott: Yes.

Costello: I mean the fellow’s name.

Abbott: Who.

Costello: The guy with the football.

Costello: The player carrying the ball.

Abbott: Who!

Costello: The guy with the football

Abbott: Who has the football

Costello: I’m asking you who’s has the footnall

Abbott: That’s the man’s name.

Costello: That’s whose name?

Abbott: Yeah.

Costello: Well go ahead and tell me.

Abbott: That’s it.

Costello: That’s who?

Last edited:
Regardless. Irregardless ain't a word. ?

Irregardless is a word sometimes used in place of regardless or irrespective, which has caused controversy since the early twentieth century, though the word appeared in print as early as 1795. Most dictionaries list it as non-standard or incorrect usage, and recommend that "regardless" should be used instead.

...irrespective of that it is a double negative and redundant and redundant...

...and I get you ?

Of course a team could always make their uniforms out of this print

1575545605215.png

Costello: Well then who has the ball?

Abbott: Yes.

Costello: I mean the fellow’s name.

Costello: The guy with the football.

Costello: The player carrying the ball.

Abbott: Who!

Costello: The guy with the football

Abbott: Who has the football

Costello: I’m asking you who’s has the footnall

Abbott: That’s the man’s name.

Costello: That’s whose name?

Costello: Well go ahead and tell me.

Abbott: That’s it.

Costello: That’s who?

I see nothing wrong of what he said. It was his option. All he said was dark skin, dark football and dark uniforms. This country has become too thin skinned and wants to scream racist for every little thing. He didn’t call him a name, now that would be different if he did. Go ahead and blast me out for my opinion. LOL!! ?

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THIN SKINNED? ???

Now being a broadcaster on air, had he prefaced it with "in my opinion" he would side step heat on his FCC broadcast license, but I doubt it would make a difference over all.

My, we’ve become so sensitive...
We used to lynch people bc we thought they looked at a white woman
We wouldn’t let certain religions join our clubs
We would fire people if we found out they liked people we didn’t
We are nowhere near as sensitive as we used to be

To Point 1: Is the fact that the complexion of skin camoflauging the ball that was darker because it was wet not making the job of the players on defense harder in a pragmatic way?
Not any more than another player of color handling a ball. Plus it diminishes the fact that Jackson is playing at a high level and is an incredible talent by trying to find some reason outside of praising his abilities to explain why he's good. It's similar to people criticizing Brees' accomplishments by complaining about how pass heavy the offense he plays in is or that he gets too many yards by dinking and dunking the ball to Kamara and letting him do the hard work. It is an effort to delegitimize the player's accomplishments by finding a "pragmatic"reason why he beat your team.

Plus it's so stupid. Look at this picture from that very game. The ball blends in with literally nothing here. The 49ers should suspend him for being dumb about football, not for being racially insensitive.

article-695x390-9e8da8bada2a784a72df68bde4aee466.jpg

To Point 2: If she were discussing this fact with fellow nurse co-workers both white and black and they all unanimously agreed, but an aide, who is black, overheard the conversation and felt offended, is it now inappropriate to discuss?

The issue for me is that we should not have to censor logical observations for fear that those with over-heightened sensibilities would find said observation offensive.

I'm of the opinion that we don't get to dictate to others how they feel about things. And that if another co-worker was offended and said so, I hope your wife and the others in the discussion would have some level of respectful empathy for the other employees' feelings and not have that discussion in front of her anymore. We have a tendancy to get defensive when something we say isn't popular, but we as a species almost never step back and consider why the other person may not have liked it. We instead double down with indignation and question who in the world they think they are to criticize us. And we really should try to do the former more than the latter.

We judge our intentions, but other people's actions. The world would be a better place if we would step outside ourselves more and realize that.

I don't really disagree with you here.

My thought is that he really risked his career because of how some may view his comments.

Agreed. Justice for Juicy! ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom