49ers analyst suspended over racist comments about Lamar Jackson (1 Viewer)

Is Jerry Jones opinion of Ezekiel Elliot the only one that matters? It's a short sighted take Hump. Besides, what seems to be blown out of proportion is the sentiment that Ryan is somehow "under attack." He said something dumb, persons have explained why, the 49ers chose to suspend him over it, the sun still rose and set today. No one, at least no one sensible, that I have seen, is calling him a Klansman. Persons have pushed back on his rhetoric and I have attempted to explain why. Why the zero sum game? We can disagree and call his take dumb and still not think he is racist or meant malice. I do. Why does it have to be "he did nothing wrong" or "he's racist!" Nuance is still a thing.

There’s definitely a middle, I walk it. Agree with your assessments. I could have worded my post better, admittedly.

I just want to tack onto this, bclemms, because I share NP's admiration for you as a poster. You said this:

You know, Moon is illustrative, perhaps the trailblazer, of the black quarterback's journey from stereotype to success. Despite his stellar collegiate career, Moon went undrafted by the NFL. Do you know why?

In Never Give Up on Your Dream: My Journey, Moon chronicles the racism he encountered. Most black players of his generation, and definitely those who came before Moon, could tell similar disheartening stories. Repeatedly pushed to move to another position by coaches who assumed he lacked the smarts to play quarterback, Moon, believing he had the chops to lead, never gave up.

“In football, the ‘thinking’ positions down the middle — quarterback, center, [inside] linebacker — were the ones that we weren’t allowed to play.

Despite the fact that there were a lot of African-Americans playing in the National Football League in the ’50s, ’60s and ’70s, there was a stereotype that we weren’t capable of succeeding at certain positions. If you played those positions in college and you got drafted, you knew you were probably going to get moved in the NFL. Supposedly, we weren’t smart enough or had the leadership qualities or whatever it took. At every position, for African-Americans, conquering that myth at quarterback was so important.”

So, in reality, it took Moon going to the CFL and "proving" he could play quarterback before the NFL took him "for his arm." 5 straight Grey Cup championships and 2 Grey Cup MVPs along with 21 thousand yards and 144 touchdowns before the NFL considered him worthy of playing the position. Moon's CFL and NFL yard and touchdown totals? 70,553 yards and 435 touchdowns. Better career numbers than Dan Marino. Only behind the quartet of Manning, Brady, Brees and Favre.

Statistically, probably the 5th best QB of all time but spent the first six years of his career playing in Canada fighting stereotypes about black men. And he was a "pocket passer" to boot. Imagine the battle for guys who weren't quite as gifted throwing but were still capable of playing the position. I know it is hard to fathom for some but these tropes didn't die overnight. They are still here, still with us, and vigilance is required, by all of us, if we want to truly make them "the past."
Moon is one of my all time favorite QB’s. I actually got to meet one of his receivers, Haywood Jeffires. Great guy.

As I posted the article from PFT, Sherman and Dee Ford said they both have Ryan’s back and it’s being blown way out of proportion. Being that they know him personally I’ll take their opinion over anyone else’s.
You totally mischaracterized my post. I copied a post that I disagreed with and responded. Yet you represent the copied post as if it was mine.
That is lying. Smh.

Moon is one of my all time favorite QB’s. I actually got to meet one of his receivers, Haywood Jeffires. Great guy.

Mine too. Haywood freaking Jeffires. No way! Man, that run n shoot offense was a thing of beauty. I bleed black and gold through and through, but people underestimate the impact a guy like Moon had on young black kids like me, watching a brother sling it all over the field to dude's like Haywood, Drew Hill, Ernest Givens and Curtis Duncan. It changed what we thought was possible in pro football.

You totally mischaracterized my post. I copied a post that I disagreed with and responded. Yet you represent the copied post as if it was mine.
That is lying. Smh.

And you totally jumped the gun. I made a visual mistake as I’m now about 90% blind. I did not lie, and shake your head all you’d like.

Mine too. Haywood freaking Jeffires. No way! Man, that run n shoot offense was a thing of beauty. I bleed black and gold through and through, but people underestimate the impact a guy like Moon had on young black kids like me, watching a brother sling it all over the field to dude's like Haywood, Drew Hill, Ernest Givens and Curtis Duncan. It changed what we thought was possible in pro football.

Yep! A guest in his home. I was a teenager and he was quite impressed that I knew how to correctly spell his last name. That team was electric to watch. Whole WR crew was bad to the bone. Moon is one of the GOAT’s imo.

Oh and Haywood was very very humble.

Listen, I don't want to derail the thread and I would rather it not get sent to the EE, but part of the problem is assuming or thinking that racism is "in the past." A thing to be remembered. It is deeper than people picking cotton in a field at the hand of a whip. Institutional, structural, foundational and systemic mechanisms built into the fabric of our society. No, I am here to tell you, as a wealthy, successful black man that it is alive here in our present and not relegated to our past.

That aside, yes, persons can make mistakes. But, part of the progress that you are seeking is for persons to call out things that play to racial tropes and stereotypes. Telling the marginalized they are sensitive or to get over it or accusing them of playing the race card defeats progress. It's an attempt to maintain the status quo or, more deliberate, to reassert past societal norms. I understand the pendulum swing back toward equality can unnecessarily injure minor or unintended actions but that is part of the price we need to pay for a better society for everyone. Lamar Jackson's skin color has nothing to do with his performance on the football field. Full stop. His skin is not a performance enhancer. That's ridiculous. It should be called out.

Please stop with the sophistry. NO ONE is saying racism no longer exists. My only point is that labeling too much as racist is counterproductive.

Racism is genetic and while civilization will overcome nature for most of us, some will always be racist. We seek affinity with the highest association. i.e. Family, friends, nationality, religion, sex, race, occupation, sports team etc. Each of us prioritizes those associations individually. Civil socialization helps us moderate this tendency and become more tolerant and accepting. Heck, someday we might all become good friends with Atlanta Fans. Probably long after we have forgotten why anyone thought color mattered.

I just want to tack onto this, bclemms, because I share NP's admiration for you as a poster. You said this:

You know, Moon is illustrative, perhaps the trailblazer, of the black quarterback's journey from stereotype to success. Despite his stellar collegiate career, Moon went undrafted by the NFL. Do you know why?

In Never Give Up on Your Dream: My Journey, Moon chronicles the racism he encountered. Most black players of his generation, and definitely those who came before Moon, could tell similar disheartening stories. Repeatedly pushed to move to another position by coaches who assumed he lacked the smarts to play quarterback, Moon, believing he had the chops to lead, never gave up.

“In football, the ‘thinking’ positions down the middle — quarterback, center, [inside] linebacker — were the ones that we weren’t allowed to play.

Despite the fact that there were a lot of African-Americans playing in the National Football League in the ’50s, ’60s and ’70s, there was a stereotype that we weren’t capable of succeeding at certain positions. If you played those positions in college and you got drafted, you knew you were probably going to get moved in the NFL. Supposedly, we weren’t smart enough or had the leadership qualities or whatever it took. At every position, for African-Americans, conquering that myth at quarterback was so important.”

So, in reality, it took Moon going to the CFL and "proving" he could play quarterback before the NFL took him "for his arm." 5 straight Grey Cup championships and 2 Grey Cup MVPs along with 21 thousand yards and 144 touchdowns before the NFL considered him worthy of playing the position. Moon's CFL and NFL yard and touchdown totals? 70,553 yards and 435 touchdowns. Better career numbers than Dan Marino. Only behind the quartet of Manning, Brady, Brees and Favre.

Statistically, probably the 5th best QB of all time but spent the first six years of his career playing in Canada fighting stereotypes about black men. And he was a "pocket passer" to boot. Imagine the battle for guys who weren't quite as gifted throwing but were still capable of playing the position. I know it is hard to fathom for some but these tropes didn't die overnight. They are still here, still with us, and vigilance is required, by all of us, if we want to truly make them "the past."

That was over 40 years ago. I know black QB's would never, ever be given a chance back then. In fact, only 1 QB was taken in the first round that year. A guy by the name of Doug Williams from Grambling.

I loved Moon, one of my favorite players growing up. I remember being in the dome feeling dirty for liking Moon after Glanville had one of his LB's on special teams go after Morten Anderson and lay him out after a kickoff in one of the all time cheap shots. Moon threw one of the prettiest balls I've ever seen. I know his whole story, it's actually very similar to Kurt Warner's and Doug Flutie's story. Sometimes guys get passed on, back in the late 70's and early 80's though it was certainly harder for black QB's, not only at the NFL level but getting the chance to play QB long before then.

Today's NFL is 70% black despite blacks only making up 12% of the population. Want to hear a fun fact? Name the white player who has taken the most snaps at CB in the NFL since Jason Sehorn retired in 2002? If you guessed there haven't been any white players to take a snap at CB in NFL in 17 years you would be really close. The answer to the question is Julian Edelmen when he played corner for a game after the Patriots secondary was decimated by injuries. RB's, there has been 1 white RB drafted in the NFL in the last 28 years. During that same span, more than 20 black QB's have been taken in the first round, quite a few #1 overall.

Remember when Ditka traded the world for Ricky Williams, wedding dress and all? It was 7 years before that since the last time a white RB was drafted in the 1st round of the NFL prior to CMAC. 25 year gap. Only a handful of white RB's even had carries over the last 20 years, the ones you remember were mostly FB's that got touches due to injury and excelled. There were a few white RB's that were drafted then asked to play FB.

So if 1 in 8 Americans are black but 3 out of 4 NFL players are black, it's a statistical impossibility. Even QB's taken in the first round are disproportionately black to population numbers. Today's NFL black players get more opportunity than white players, there are no other explanations.

Find me the announcer that said White players in rugby have an advantage because they use a white rugby ball and i'll tell you there was nothing racist about referencing Lamar's skin color as a tactical advantage.

You can say guys can play action better than others for all kinds of reasons but to reference skin color is stupid. And now this poor Lamar is getting evaluated by millions of white people if his darkness is an unfair advantage instead of his talent and hard work being evaluated. Tim Ryan is bloody stupid

Racism is genetic

this could be one of the stupidest things i've ever read in my life... I guess that's why children instinctively play with each other fully integrated and color blind, until "genetics" take over as they grow into adulthood and "biology" compels them to start judging people by the color of their skin. (yet somehow an amazing number of people around the world manage to avoid this genetic defect. incredible indeed...)

Yup. What the guy said is racial, not racist. His error was to say anything racial at all. Only people of certain races are permitted in today's society to make remarks about race, even if they're true, and Tim Ryan is not one of them.
Actually, he said nothing of race. He only mentioned the color of his skin. He didn't say you can't see the ball because he is African American, he said because of his dark skin color. It's a huge difference and only shows how incredibly stupid people have become.

Actually, he said nothing of race. He only mentioned the color of his skin. He didn't say you can't see the ball because he is African American, he said because of his dark skin color. It's a huge difference and only shows how incredibly stupid people have become.
If Taysom hill had dark skin....ok, wait...I’m lost

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom