49ers, and falcons no interest in Revis (1 Viewer)

I think Nnamdi may be the better deal for us (if the eagles cut him). I believe he will take less than Revis & a Revis trade will cost us a draft pic plus the higher salary.

I heard this morning that Revis' cap number for next season (if he's traded) would only be $3M. If that's true, then we should really make a move on him, even if its only for 1 year.

I'd give them Ingram and our 3rd this year and a 4th next year to have Revis for next season and next season only.

Precisely. The man is seeking 16 to 17 million a year as A corner! My God is he crazy?? 12 mil max but even that is too high especially after an axle where he should be happy he actually still has a chance of playing. What he is doing is a sign of pure selfishness. If he wants 17 mil then go get some endorsements. What a classic case of being a selfish catch u next Tuesday!

He should be selfish, no one else is gonna look after him better then he will himself. These guys lifestyles can and often do come to a complete hault before they want them to. Thats why i believe any elite athlete should try and make as much money as he can in the prime of his career, because once that window is over, its gone forever. Drew brees was made the richest qb in nfl history (before the flacco deal) that dosent make drew selfish for taking up tons of cap space. It just means hes getting the most out of what hes worth while he can. This is just a form of entertainment for us fans but to these guys its their lives, and businesses. So im all for these guys squeezing every dollar they can out of the nfl.... After all the is the american dream, and the american way. #capitalismbaby

It's already been reported that he wants to be paid the highest amount ever for a defensive player

"Been reported" doesn't say "who", but that would explain the $16 million mark since Julius Peppers cap figure this year is about that I think. But that's the backloaded years for Peppers, not the average value of his deal. Revis won't see $16 mil

I'd rather get Nnamdi in free agency (once he get's released.

I think he fits the mold/scheme better if that makes sense. Plus, maybe he's a little humble & comes at a cheaper price tag? However, at 31...he doesn't have too much bargaining

I heard this morning that Revis' cap number for next season (if he's traded) would only be $3M. If that's true, then we should really make a move on him, even if its only for 1 year.

I'd give them Ingram and our 3rd this year and a 4th next year to have Revis for next season and next season only.

According to Rotoworld his cap hit for a team trading for him would be 3m in salary, 1m in roster bonus (due march 16), 1m workout bonus, and 1m in reporting bonus. That adds up to 6m cap hit for a team trading for him before the 16th or 5m if the trade goes down after. I can't link it since my company has rotoworld blocked. (I used my phone to look it up)

Just because a GM says he's not interested, it doesn't mean he's not interested. Teams are probably waiting for Rex Ryan to say something stupid, causing more hard feelings with Revis and dropping the Jet's demands.

I cannot think of a reason in the world why a team would want to commit to Revis at this point, I mean you know he's going to need a new contract and that's a tough enough decision to make (whether you want to skew the salary scale on the team), and then you've got to factor in reasonably high draft choices, plus trying to gauge Revis' recovery...If I were a GM, I'd be punting until at least July.

I cannot think of a reason in the world why a team would want to commit to Revis at this point, I mean you know he's going to need a new contract and that's a tough enough decision to make (whether you want to skew the salary scale on the team), and then you've got to factor in reasonably high draft choices, plus trying to gauge Revis' recovery...If I were a GM, I'd be punting until at least July.

Exactly. I would imagine the trade compensation will be much lower once training starts. Even then teams may be hesitant to make the deal.

Interesting article on the Revis situation:

"The Jets brought this on themselves," one rival AFC personnel executive said. "Not being able to tag the player, the short-sighted contract a couple years ago -- they're here because of how they decided to do business."

In short, [new Jets GM John] Idzik now has to clean up a mess he didn't create. Among the complications:

» Revis is going into the final year of his deal and can't be tagged next season. He's already staged two holdouts, and threatened another, and has always desired to be paid at the top of the market. So if the Jets or a team trading for him go into 2013 without a new deal in place, they risk losing him in 2014 for nothing more than a compensatory pick.

» Because of his stature and the investment they've made in developing and paying him, the Jets need to get a suitable return for Revis. Trouble is, then, a team trading for Revis not only would need to amend his long-term situation financially or risk losing him, but also pour draft-pick resources into the equation. It's a lot to ask.

» Revis' ACL recovery colors all of this. Yes, scores of guys have returned to full strength from knee reconstructions, but corner is the position where this type of injury typically hits hardest. So there's a catch-22 here. If you're trading for him, you can take a leap of faith, sign him, and hope he becomes what he was. Or you go the short-term route, and risk throwing draft picks away for a player who's not at full strength in 2013, which would defeat the purpose of a one-year rental.

New York Jets face hard decision regarding Darrelle Revis' future - NFL.com

:covri:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom