49ers could have multiple candidates for New Orleans Saints' defensive coordinator opening (1 Viewer)

What can people tell me about Tomsula? Finding any concrete info on him is pretty hard.

Everything I've read on Donatell make me really interested in him. Everywhere he has went as DB coach, he has turned that team into a top-10 pass D. In addition, he's put up career best numbers for alot of players in his scheme and his teams always have high takeaways.

Still, from the sounds of the candidates I'd be happy with either.

Supposedly hes done better with Cary Williams and Jimmy Smith than ud think.

Haven't done much research but an article i read recently just gave him a lot of props for the work he did specifically with those two guys.

Considering Cary Williams is a 7th round pick whom the Ravens signed to the practice squad, and considering now he's a starting CB, I think they've done pretty well with him.

I also don't think Jimmy Smith is all that bad.

Payton has stated more than once that you have to run the ball and STOP THE RUN. Well this guy knows how to coach his guys to stop the run. The 49er have ranked 5th (3.8), 8th (3.8), 3rd(3.6), 2nd (3.6), and 1st (3.5) in YPC allowed from 2007-2011. They ranked 16th before he took over.

We'll see you on Airline Drive for an interview February 4th since you're already in Nola after the big game is done, Tomsula ;)

What can people tell me about Tomsula? Finding any concrete info on him is pretty hard.

Everything I've read on Donatell make me really interested in him. Everywhere he has went as DB coach, he has turned that team into a top-10 pass D. In addition, he's put up career best numbers for alot of players in his scheme and his teams always have high takeaways.

If you guys got either of them on your defensive coaching staff, you would get better. Tomsula would be missed the most though, in my opinion. He was only one of four coaches that Harbaugh kept from the Singletary staff when he took over.

He is a monster on the sidelines so it would be hard getting him in the booth. Some of his soundbits are hilarious. As much as I wouldn't want him to go to you guys :covri: It would honestly be a great opportunity because he would have Drew on the other side of the ball. Top 15 defense and you guys win division easily next season.

I would also bet that Cameron Jordan gets over 10 sacks next season especially since he was a Cal Bear :mwink:

If you guys got either of them on your defensive coaching staff, you would get better. Tomsula would be missed the most though, in my opinion. He was only one of four coaches that Harbaugh kept from the Singletary staff when he took over.

He is a monster on the sidelines so it would be hard getting him in the booth. Some of his soundbits are hilarious. As much as I wouldn't want him to go to you guys :covri: It would honestly be a great opportunity because he would have Drew on the other side of the ball. Top 15 defense and you guys win division easily next season.

I would also bet that Cameron Jordan gets over 10 sacks next season especially since he was a Cal Bear :mwink:
Thanks for the input! What impresses you about him? Do you think he will be a good play caller? I always see him on the sideline going crazy, he has alot of intensity and is very fiery which is really needed here.

Thanks for the input! What impresses you about him? Do you think he will be a good play caller? I always see him on the sideline going crazy, he has alot of intensity and is very fiery which is really needed here.

Every single player on our defense respects him and he lights a fire in their ***, and watching him on the sidelines gets me psyched too.

I think it would be a waste if he ended up in the booth. Playcall on the sidelines maybe? Overall, he is one of my top 2 favorite coaches on the team and you guys would notice a boost if he ended up on your staff. He was also picked to coach the Niners for the last game of the season prior to Harbaugh's hiring.

I've been wanting Jim Tomsula over Ed Donatell since the search for a DC began. I don't know why some people want Donatell. Tomsula is the guy who's really helped build this defense.

He has been a D-line coach for 6 years, 2 years as Def Co, 1 year as a HC in NFL Europe. Has been with the 49er's as D-line coach since then though he did take over as interim HC when Singletary was fired.

Jim Tomsula Record, Statistics, and Category Ranks - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Every single player on our defense respects him and he lights a fire in their ***, and watching him on the sidelines gets me psyched too.

I think it would be a waste if he ended up in the booth. Playcall on the sidelines maybe? Overall, he is one of my top 2 favorite coaches on the team and you guys would notice a boost if he ended up on your staff. He was also picked to coach the Niners for the last game of the season prior to Harbaugh's hiring.

Thanks for your comments Youngb. Always good to get feedback and thoughts from a fan of a player/coaches current team.

I don't know that he would end up in the booth though. Wasn't GW on our sidelines while he was here? I know Spags was, I just don't remember if GW was. Saints fans, help me out here?

Thanks for your comments Youngb. Always good to get feedback and thoughts from a fan of a player/coaches current team.

I don't know that he would end up in the booth though. Wasn't GW on our sidelines while he was here? I know Spags was, I just don't remember if GW was. Saints fans, help me out here?

He was on the sidelines. Come to think of it, I can't think of many of our coaches that have been "box guys".

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

My only issue with coveting the Niners defensive staff is that talent trumps coaching.

Niners starting D:

Justin Smith (All Pro) 4th overall pick
Ray McDonald (2011 PFF All Pro) 3rd round
Isaac Sopoaga
Ahmad Brooks (2012 2nd team AP All-NFL) 3rd round
Bowman (needs no intro) 2nd round
Willis (needs no intro) 1st round
Aldon Smith (needs no intro) 1st round...backed up by Clark Haggans'
Carlos Rogers 9th overall pick
Tarell Brown (not that great...picked on a bit)
Goldson (1st team All Pro)
Donte Whitner 8th overall pick

That's a sickening collection of talent/athleticism. We can't touch that on D. Not to mention the fact that most of those guys are young.

On their front 7 only Willis and A. Smith were premier draft picks. The rest have DEVELOPED into great players. That's the key...development. It's not like this defense doesn't have talent. Jordan & Hicks has the potential to be a top DE duo. Buckley can be just as good as Sopoaga. The real difference is at the LB position. Willis and Aldon Smith are freaks of nature and it would be extremely difficult for Lofton to develop into Willis and any Saints pass rusher to develop into a 20 sack guy like Aldon. Bowman was a third round pick...much like Martez Wilson. Brooks as a third rounder as well. They are all fantastic players...but they weren't all pro bowlers the moment they stepped on the field (minus Willis and Aldon).

On their front 7 only Willis and A. Smith were premier draft picks. The rest have DEVELOPED into great players. That's the key...development. It's not like this defense doesn't have talent. Jordan & Hicks has the potential to be a top DE duo. Buckley can be just as good as Sopoaga. The real difference is at the LB position. Willis and Aldon Smith are freaks of nature and it would be extremely difficult for Lofton to develop into Willis and any Saints pass rusher to develop into a 20 sack guy like Aldon. Bowman was a third round pick...much like Martez Wilson. Brooks as a third rounder as well. They are all fantastic players...but they weren't all pro bowlers the moment they stepped on the field (minus Willis and Aldon).

This.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom