49ers could have multiple candidates for New Orleans Saints' defensive coordinator opening (1 Viewer)

Will Harbaugh let Tomsula go though?

How can a coach, Harbaugh, not allow a coach to be interviewed for a upward move to another team? Is all the speculation moot if he won't allow the coach to go anywhere?

I really don't doubt that either guy can coach and I trust our front office and Payton to make a good hire.
But neither guy is a guaranteed fix.
We need a few key players and if either guy can find talent in the draft that others can't see then kudos.

How can a coach, Harbaugh, not allow a coach to be interviewed for a upward move to another team? Is all the speculation moot if he won't allow the coach to go anywhere?

he cant. not if its considered an "upward" move. If lateral, then I think they have the option of saying no.

im going off old knowledge on this. So not sure if this still holds true.

On their front 7 only Willis and A. Smith were premier draft picks. The rest have DEVELOPED into great players. That's the key...development. It's not like this defense doesn't have talent. Jordan & Hicks has the potential to be a top DE duo. Buckley can be just as good as Sopoaga. The real difference is at the LB position. Willis and Aldon Smith are freaks of nature and it would be extremely difficult for Lofton to develop into Willis and any Saints pass rusher to develop into a 20 sack guy like Aldon. Bowman was a third round pick...much like Martez Wilson. Brooks as a third rounder as well. They are all fantastic players...but they weren't all pro bowlers the moment they stepped on the field (minus Willis and Aldon).

Bowman dropped because of durability and character concerns, Justin Smith had 8.5 sacks and 2 ints his rookie season. They both performed at a high level almost immediately.

My point is that the Spags and GW schemes probably would've worked if we had Willis, Bowman, Aldon Smith, and Justin Smith. Spags system worked fine in NY and was statistically the worst defense in NFL history on the Saints last year. We lack talent on defense, plain and simple.

You can't really say the Saints lack talent until we get a DC that can develop the players the Saints pick up. I'm really liking what I'm seeing about Tomsula, we need a guy to develop our Front 7.

Do we really need/want someone who is not more seasoned that either of these two guys? While they may be good and may do great somewhere as a DC, but I'd rather have someone that has been there and done that to be able to legitimately turn this D around. A first time DC may not be able to do that.

If we land either one and they do great, the I'll gladly admit I'm wrong. Until then, I am tentative to have a first timer DC come in here and straighten this D out.

he cant. not if its considered an "upward" move. If lateral, then I think they have the option of saying no.

im going off old knowledge on this. So not sure if this still holds true.
There was a change in wording "upward" move for NFL assistants not long ago. Currently NFL rules state that you are a HC or an assistant, it matters not if you are a DL coach or a DC (you are considered an assistant).

That means that outside of a promotion to HC it is considered a lateral move and the assistant must gain permission from the HC/Team to interview for the job.

So in this case both would need permission from the 9ers to interview for our DC opening.

The links below may to a better job explaining this than I have.

Link 1

Link 2

I heard today that the 9ers are practicing at our facility while BAL is doing so at Tulane. I can hear Mickey/Sean now, "Please remember how well we treated you in New Orleans when we call you next week."

I think it only makes sense to talk to everyone before hiring, I am guessing this is why its been quiet on the D/C hunt since the superbowl has yet to be played. Payton is going to weigh his options very carefully, It has to be quite annoying to keep changing D/C's, this hire has to be a defacto homerun so we can get the stability on defense that matches our offensive stability.

Do we really need/want someone who is not more seasoned that either of these two guys? While they may be good and may do great somewhere as a DC, but I'd rather have someone that has been there and done that to be able to legitimately turn this D around. A first time DC may not be able to do that.

If we land either one and they do great, the I'll gladly admit I'm wrong. Until then, I am tentative to have a first timer DC come in here and straighten this D out.

Gotta start some where.

Every single player on our defense respects him and he lights a fire in their ***, and watching him on the sidelines gets me psyched too.

I think it would be a waste if he ended up in the booth. Playcall on the sidelines maybe? Overall, he is one of my top 2 favorite coaches on the team and you guys would notice a boost if he ended up on your staff. He was also picked to coach the Niners for the last game of the season prior to Harbaugh's hiring.

Payton doesn't make our guys go in the booth. GW and Spags both were on the sidelines.

on their front 7 only willis and a. Smith were premier draft picks. The rest have developed into great players. That's the key...development. It's not like this defense doesn't have talent. Jordan & hicks has the potential to be a top de duo. Buckley can be just as good as sopoaga. The real difference is at the lb position. Willis and aldon smith are freaks of nature and it would be impossible for lofton to develop into willis and any saints pass rusher to develop into a 20 sack guy like aldon. Bowman was a third round pick...much like martez wilson. Brooks as a third rounder as well. They are all fantastic players...but they weren't all pro bowlers the moment they stepped on the field (minus willis and aldon).

fify

How is it impossible for any of our current LBs to develop into an Aldon Smith type player? Both Tez and Broughton have comparable physical attributes. Neither has had a season to be in a 3-4 behind a Justin Smith type DE that can open holes for them to blitz. Maybe Tomsula can come in and turn Cam Jordan into another Justin Smith, which in turn could turn Tez/Broughton/Draft Pick into an Aldon Smith type player.

Sean Payton had no head coaching experience before we got him. We've had two "experienced" guys in a row and didn't get what we wanted. I'm okay taking a shot at finding the next great DC at this point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom