49ers could have multiple candidates for New Orleans Saints' defensive coordinator opening (1 Viewer)

Sean Payton had no head coaching experience before we got him. We've had two "experienced" guys in a row and didn't get what we wanted. I'm okay taking a shot at finding the next great DC at this point.

This. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Do we really need/want someone who is not more seasoned that either of these two guys? While they may be good and may do great somewhere as a DC, but I'd rather have someone that has been there and done that to be able to legitimately turn this D around. A first time DC may not be able to do that.

If we land either one and they do great, the I'll gladly admit I'm wrong. Until then, I am tentative to have a first timer DC come in here and straighten this D out.

You mean someone like Spags?

I would rather see a young up and comer who has a great plan and track record who is out to make a name for himself. I don't want a been there done that sort of person who may think that the way they did it 15 years ago when they first had success is the way to go.

This may sound wrong....but i want a guy with no aspirations to be a head coach so he can stick with this team for more than 3 years and help build a system.....kinda like the steelers.

This may sound wrong....but i want a guy with no aspirations to be a head coach so he can stick with this team for more than 3 years and help build a system.....kinda like the steelers.

The Steelers DC had aspirations of being a head coach, he just wasn't very good at it when he got the shot. So he went back to what he could do so well and in effect built an outstanding defense.

I'd like a young guy who might be more willing to adapt schemes to stop trendy offenses. Some of the established guys get set in their ways of calling games and don't succesfully account for changes in the game.

On the whole, anything has to be better than what we had this past season, right?

Gotta start some where.

Sean Payton had no head coaching experience before we got him. We've had two "experienced" guys in a row and didn't get what we wanted. I'm okay taking a shot at finding the next great DC at this point.

True, everyone does have to start somewhere. Just thinking of all the work that needs to be done to fix that D, and yes, SP had the same issue when he came here.

I won't be upset if it works.

Both Donatell and Tomsula had some good thoughts/concepts about being a DC but reading this article makes me really intrigued by Jim Tomsula.

Some of his statements sound like he simply fits. He also seemed to choose his words very wisely when speaking about the Saints.

"Tomsula dismissed any talk of another job, maintaining he's focused solely on the Baltimore Ravens. But he called the Saints a talented group of defenders and feels Payton and Joe Vitt will have the Saints ready to bounce back next season".

This statement sounded as if he was in the interview.

Tomsula added: "Everybody wants to categorize defenses with the big buzz words, 4-3, 3-4, bah, bah. You look at Dallas' 3-4 vs. the Texans' 3-4 vs. the Steelers' 3-4 vs. the Niners' 3-4 vs. the Green Bay Packers' 3-4 vs. the San Diego Chargers. Everything is a little different. ... The whole magic with the whole thing is how does it work with the players that you have. Obviously, you watch that with the Saints all the time. Their offense runs by the people that they have. When they add a new component, things change a little bit to work around that guy. So how do I put the pieces together in the puzzle to make it work."

Link

Per Jay Glazer on sirus radio just now,Saints are looking at 49er's Ed Donatell .and will probally interview Rob Ryan too,because he's a 3-4 guy..just as we thought

Per Jay Glazer on sirus radio just now,Saints are looking at 49er's Ed Donatell .and will probally interview Rob Ryan too,because he's a 3-4 guy..just as we thought

Glazer is really reliable when it comes to Saints news, surprised Payton allowed him leak this knowing Philly is interested in him as well.

I hope we stay away from Rob Ryan.

I don't think the Saints necessarily need the bombast that Rob Ryan brings to the table at this point. Donatell would be a very good choice. So would Tomsula.

Donatell has done a very good job with the 49ers as the secondary coach. He's done a terrific job developing Culliver (3rd rd), and Goldson (4th rd) has really shined in the last two years, not to mention the significantly improved play of Terrell Brown at the other corner.

There never seems to be much mention of this because the 49ers are always refered to as a 3-4 team, but for most of the year they were playing with a very undersized front 6: Justin Smith and Ray McDonald at DT, and putting Brooks and Aldon Smith at DE with their hands in the dirt, essentially playing a 4-2...goes back to Tomsula's comments of scheming to your talent.

Please say no to Ryan!

I think I have this right, but if I don't someone please set me straight . Unless a coach is NOT under contract or his contract is set to expire, teams are not required to allow them to interview for non-head coach jobs. Right?
If that's true, then are the coaches in question free to interview? Otherwise we must first get permission to interview them?

I found this story from last year:

The 49ers have denied the Buccaneers and their first-year coach, Greg Schiano, permission to interview secondary coach Ed Donatell for their defensive coordinator opening, the NFL Network reported.

Read more: Ed Donatell can't interview with Bucs, 49ers say - SFGate

I wonder if the situation will be the same and the niners will stop us from interviewing either of both Donatell and Tomsula.

Things have been really quiet, and I know the league always want to keep the SuperBowl as the highlight of the week. I don't think we wil hear a lot until tuesday or wednesday.

BTW, anyone remember how good the Atlanta defense was under Mora? Donatell was his defensive coordinator.

I don't think the Saints necessarily need the bombast that Rob Ryan brings to the table at this point. Donatell would be a very good choice. So would Tomsula.

Donatell has done a very good job with the 49ers as the secondary coach. He's done a terrific job developing Culliver (3rd rd), and Goldson (4th rd) has really shined in the last two years, not to mention the significantly improved play of Terrell Brown at the other corner.

There never seems to be much mention of this because the 49ers are always refered to as a 3-4 team, but for most of the year they were playing with a very undersized front 6: Justin Smith and Ray McDonald at DT, and putting Brooks and Aldon Smith at DE with their hands in the dirt, essentially playing a 4-2...goes back to Tomsula's comments of scheming to your talent.

They do a good job of maxing their player's talent.

Ray McDonald (290 lbs), Ian Williams (305 lbs), and Ricky Jean Francois (295 lbs) all played alot at NT for them over the last 2-3 years.

This makes me feel better about Bunkley (306 lbs) being able to play 3-4 NT in their scheme.

I worried about not having > 310 lbs NT in the 3-4 but the 49ers don't seem to focus on that. Sopoaga (330 lbs) is the largest NT they have and he only played 335 snaps this year according to PFF (he graded very poorly, -12).

On their front 7 only Willis and A. Smith were premier draft picks. The rest have DEVELOPED into great players. That's the key...development. It's not like this defense doesn't have talent. Jordan & Hicks has the potential to be a top DE duo. Buckley can be just as good as Sopoaga. The real difference is at the LB position. Willis and Aldon Smith are freaks of nature and it would be extremely difficult for Lofton to develop into Willis and any Saints pass rusher to develop into a 20 sack guy like Aldon. Bowman was a third round pick...much like Martez Wilson. Brooks as a third rounder as well. They are all fantastic players...but they weren't all pro bowlers the moment they stepped on the field (minus Willis and Aldon).

Thank You. I believe "talent" is relevant. The football definition of talent, to me, means the ability to be faster and stronger than most. After that it really is a matter of finding a way to be better at what you do than the player that's trying to stop you from doing it.

At this level, most of the athletes are commonly superior, world class athletes. There are metrics that are fairly well set at each position. Teams want a CB --for example-- to be able to run a 40 yard dash in a certain time. He needs to be able to meet other metrics regarding weight and height. It's that way at most positions. So it's not like the Saints have routinely been drafting slower or weaker guys than anyone else. They have been drafting very athletic players. Tez is kinda freakish. All of our guys are strong enough and fast enough. They have athletic talent. The real difference, I believe, is knowing and anticipating and judging what to do and when to do it, and then doing it better and faster than the player trying to prevent you from doing it.

That is COACHING by definition.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom