49ers could have multiple candidates for New Orleans Saints' defensive coordinator opening (1 Viewer)

I found this story from last year:

The 49ers have denied the Buccaneers and their first-year coach, Greg Schiano, permission to interview secondary coach Ed Donatell for their defensive coordinator opening, the NFL Network reported.

Read more: Ed Donatell can't interview with Bucs, 49ers say - SFGate

I wonder if the situation will be the same and the niners will stop us from interviewing either of both Donatell and Tomsula.

Things have been really quiet, and I know the league always want to keep the SuperBowl as the highlight of the week. I don't think we wil hear a lot until tuesday or wednesday.
You would think that would create some bad blood for those coaches who are being denied an opportunity to get a promotion. I can understand denying permission for a lateral move, but teams not letting coaches move up in the coaching hierarchy seems wrong to me.

They do a good job of maxing their player's talent.

Ray McDonald (290 lbs), Ian Williams (305 lbs), and Ricky Jean Francois (295 lbs) all played alot at NT for them over the last 2-3 years.

This makes me feel better about Bunkley (306 lbs) being able to play 3-4 NT in their scheme.

I worried about not having > 310 lbs NT in the 3-4 but the 49ers don't seem to focus on that. Sopoaga (330 lbs) is the largest NT they have and he only played 335 snaps this year according to PFF (he graded very poorly, -12).

Thats because they 1gap/2gap. U don't need a big NT when u 1 gap. Shaun Cody for the Texans is not ur typical NT he weighs about 308. Yet they did fabulously with him...as long as hes in rotation with other players.

Bunkley is cool...we just need to find another guy to pair with him. Be it Hicks or a draft pick or Bunkley,Hicks, and a draft pick.

You would think that would create some bad blood for those coaches who are being denied an opportunity to get a promotion. I can understand denying permission for a lateral move, but teams not letting coaches move up in the coaching hierarchy seems wrong to me.

What if the guy didn't want to go to that particular team and asked that the request be denied?

That is possible right?

What if the guy didn't want to go to that particular team and asked that the request be denied?

That is possible right?
Hopefully that's the case with Donatell and Tomsula because you would think the Saints opening would be more attractive than the Bucs.

Thats because they 1gap/2gap. U don't need a big NT when u 1 gap. Shaun Cody for the Texans is not ur typical NT he weighs about 308. Yet they did fabulously with him...as long as hes in rotation with other players.

Bunkley is cool...we just need to find another guy to pair with him. Be it Hicks or a draft pick or Bunkley,Hicks, and a draft pick.

I know you have been studing the 1 Gap vs. 2 Gap 3-4 schemes. I'm guessing the 9ers run a combination of the two schemes?

We can find a cheap NT in FA to pair with Bunk they don't cost a lot. These are just a few that come to mind:

Aubrayo Franklin
Ricky Jean-Francois (assuming we get one of the 49ers assistants)
Mike Devito
Sammy Hill
Terrance Knighton
Pat Sims

Somewhat disappointed if we're targeting Donatell instead of Tomsula. Donatell has been a DC before, and not a very good one IIRC. This Tomsula guy looks like an up-and-comer, and I like him better.

Somewhat disappointed if we're targeting Donatell instead of Tomsula. Donatell has been a DC before, and not a very good one IIRC. This Tomsula guy looks like an up-and-comer, and I like him better.

I've had my eye on Tomsula for a while, even before Harbaugh got there. I know he has never been an NFL DC but he has been a coordinator in NFL Europe and a Head Coach, and a Interim HC for the 9ers. He's a fiery guy and has also got his D-line to play well. Now how will he do with coaching up the other guys like the secondary, LB's etc, Coach will have to find that out through the interview process.

They do a good job of maxing their player's talent.

Ray McDonald (290 lbs), Ian Williams (305 lbs), and Ricky Jean Francois (295 lbs) all played alot at NT for them over the last 2-3 years.

This makes me feel better about Bunkley (306 lbs) being able to play 3-4 NT in their scheme.

I worried about not having > 310 lbs NT in the 3-4 but the 49ers don't seem to focus on that. Sopoaga (330 lbs) is the largest NT they have and he only played 335 snaps this year according to PFF (he graded very poorly, -12).

Well, Ian Williams barely played this year, 32 snaps on defense. Ricky Jean played more, 287 snaps, but most of those came when Justin Smith when down.

49ers Snap Count: Boone, Davis provided stability on right side of O-line | CSN Bay Area

But you're right, Fangio did a very good job of playing to his talent. Sopoaga wasn't very good this year and he didn't play very much (333 snaps).

McDonald didn't play NT. I don't know what PFF is writing, but I watch all of their games and I can tell you that Ray MacDonald did not play NT for them, at least in a traditional 3-4 scheme. The 49ers moved both Justin Smith and MacDonald inside in a more traditional 4 man look most of the time, with Aldon Smith and Brooks playing DE. In this respect, the 49ers were pretty imaginative. The downside was that they're really thin, in terms of depth, at DL.

But the 49ers defense is sort of odd, in that their fastest LBs that are really their coverage LBs are their inside Linebackers. Fangio started using Willis a lot more in coverage last year, and then even more this year, and, of course, Bowman. Those are their primary coverage linebackers, as opposed to their outside LBs, Brooks and Aldon Smith. In this respect, they really have dialed up their defense to fit their talent. They were not as stout against the run this year, but they were better against the pass.

I've heard a lot of talk about the 49ers dominating defense. Imo, they are not a dominating defense. When they get pressure from the front four (and they usually don't send more than four) then they are a great defense. But when the pressure wanes from the front four, they're no longer great. Good, yes. Great, no.

I've had my eye on Tomsula for a while, even before Harbaugh got there. I know he has never been an NFL DC but he has been a coordinator in NFL Europe and a Head Coach, and a Interim HC for the 9ers. He's a fiery guy and has also got his D-line to play well. Now how will he do with coaching up the other guys like the secondary, LB's etc, Coach will have to find that out through the interview process.
Tomsula did a fantastic job during the end of Singletary's tenure...Singletary got fired with one game remaining in the season, the team was in complete chaos; Tomsula was named the interim head-coach and ended up winning the game. He provided a very level head at a time when a level head was needed. Personally, I think Tomsula would make an excellent head coach.

Every single player on our defense respects him and he lights a fire in their ***, and watching him on the sidelines gets me psyched too.

I think it would be a waste if he ended up in the booth. Playcall on the sidelines maybe? Overall, he is one of my top 2 favorite coaches on the team and you guys would notice a boost if he ended up on your staff. He was also picked to coach the Niners for the last game of the season prior to Harbaugh's hiring.

Gregg Williams Coached and called plays from the Sidelines so it's very likely if he came here he could have that ability.

I found this story from last year:

The 49ers have denied the Buccaneers and their first-year coach, Greg Schiano, permission to interview secondary coach Ed Donatell for their defensive coordinator opening, the NFL Network reported.

Read more: Ed Donatell can't interview with Bucs, 49ers say - SFGate

I wonder if the situation will be the same and the niners will stop us from interviewing either of both Donatell and Tomsula.

Things have been really quiet, and I know the league always want to keep the SuperBowl as the highlight of the week. I don't think we wil hear a lot until tuesday or wednesday.

This is what I don't understand. I thought that teams could only deny permission if it was a lateral move. I thought if it would be a promotion for the coach they could not restrict a team from interviewing them if the coached wanted to take the interview...when did that change. Thats kinda of cold for the niners to deny a coach a chance to get promoted.

This is what I don't understand. I thought that teams could only deny permission if it was a lateral move. I thought if it would be a promotion for the coach they could not restrict a team from interviewing them if the coached wanted to take the interview...when did that change. Thats kinda of cold for the niners to deny a coach a chance to get promoted.

I believe someone explained this in another thread but Position Coach- to Coordinator is considered a lateral move by the League guidelines, a promotion would be a Head Coaching job.

in that case I can see Harbaugh just being a **** and denying us any access to any of his coaches.

The NFL qualifies a promotion to be a HC opportunity only. All assistant jobs (DC or DL coach) are equal and count as a lateral move.

Either of these guys will have to gain permission to interview.

Hopefully that's the case with Donatell and Tomsula because you would think the Saints opening would be more attractive than the Bucs.

Not when the defense your inheriting was dead last in total yards.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom