49ers could have multiple candidates for New Orleans Saints' defensive coordinator opening (1 Viewer)

Analyze This

increase after a decline
Reaction score
Both Donatell and Tomsula had some good thoughts/concepts about being a DC but reading this article makes me really intrigued by Jim Tomsula.

Some of his statements sound like he simply fits. He also seemed to choose his words very wisely when speaking about the Saints.

"Tomsula dismissed any talk of another job, maintaining he's focused solely on the Baltimore Ravens. But he called the Saints a talented group of defenders and feels Payton and Joe Vitt will have the Saints ready to bounce back next season".

This statement sounded as if he was in the interview.

Tomsula added: "Everybody wants to categorize defenses with the big buzz words, 4-3, 3-4, bah, bah. You look at Dallas' 3-4 vs. the Texans' 3-4 vs. the Steelers' 3-4 vs. the Niners' 3-4 vs. the Green Bay Packers' 3-4 vs. the San Diego Chargers. Everything is a little different. ... The whole magic with the whole thing is how does it work with the players that you have. Obviously, you watch that with the Saints all the time. Their offense runs by the people that they have. When they add a new component, things change a little bit to work around that guy. So how do I put the pieces together in the puzzle to make it work."

Link

Tomsula could make Cam Jordan + Ansah/Mingo/Dion Jordan as good as the Aldon Smith + Justin Smith combination.

I have wanted Tomsula this whole time. He strikes me as more DC ready than Donatell

Plus he is the guy that can best work with and develop our front 7

I think our front 7 need the most help since we are moving to a 3-4 and I am not sure Donatell who is primarily a secondary kind of guy can teach them everything.

Sounds like he is interviewing for the position already! Any bios on him? Also speaking the same language coach is. hhhmmmmmm

Tomsula sounds like he'd be willing to adept to fit the players.

Tomsula added: "Everybody wants to categorize defenses with the big buzz words, 4-3, 3-4, bah, bah. You look at Dallas' 3-4 vs. the Texans' 3-4 vs. the Steelers' 3-4 vs. the Niners' 3-4 vs. the Green Bay Packers' 3-4 vs. the San Diego Chargers. Everything is a little different. ... The whole magic with the whole thing is how does it work with the players that you have.

Tomsula is the guy that I stated I wanted from the beginning. Obviously, he brings to the table the 3-4 concepts that I think would give us an aggressive defense that we all desire. But he also seems to be a good family man, and one who I think would fit in to our culture here.

Tomsula sounds like he'd be willing to adept to fit the players.

Thats what I took away from his quotes as well. The guy gets it. He made it clear every 3-4, 4-3 is different with each team due to the varying personnel. Exact opposite of what we had last year

Jimmy Smith has been a major disappointment, so has Cary Williams. Pollard, Reed and Webb have always been good. I would not touch who ever it is.

Supposedly hes done better with Cary Williams and Jimmy Smith than ud think.

Haven't done much research but an article i read recently just gave him a lot of props for the work he did specifically with those two guys.

My only issue with coveting the Niners defensive staff is that talent trumps coaching.

Niners starting D:

Justin Smith (All Pro) 4th overall pick
Ray McDonald (2011 PFF All Pro) 3rd round
Isaac Sopoaga
Ahmad Brooks (2012 2nd team AP All-NFLhttp://www.49ers.com/team/roster/Isaac-Sopoaga/9ebd9e31-35b6-4534-b60b-b33c15f7e417) 3rd round
Bowman (needs no intro) 2nd round
Willis (needs no intro) 1st round
Aldon Smith (needs no intro) 1st round...backed up by Clark Haggans'
Carlos Rogers 9th overall pick
Tarell Brown (not that great...picked on a bit)
Goldson (1st team All Pro)
Donte Whitner 8th overall pick

That's a sickening collection of talent/athleticism. We can't touch that on D. Not to mention the fact that most of those guys are young.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom