49ers had lowest min. win probability to win a game of all-time per NextGen (1 Viewer)

Yep complete classic Saints right there. This team is cursed. I just dont get it.

This team fought and overcame so much bad luck only to be snake bitten in almost an unimaginable way. A crippled QB leading his team to victory after a large deficit.

The most improbable part was the 88yd TD drive with no timeouts.

All the others are kind of unremarkable.

When the Rams got the ball with 1:57, the Niners had all three TOs.

The Rams weren’t going to pass due to wanting the Niners to burn their timeouts and they weren’t running worth a darn that game. So the 3 and out seemed almost inevitable.

Hell, the reason the Niners punted was because they felt they had a good chance of getting it back.

Also when the Niners did score there was only about 30 seconds or so left, so preventing the Rams from scoring in the final drive of regulation wasn’t all that remarkable. The Rams, again weren’t going to take a huge risk.

Also in OT the Niners won the toss and had an 8 minute drive for a FG before the Rams ever touched the ball.

So it really makes me question the stats that determine those “chance of winning” percentages. That game stunk for us, but it wasn’t some epic collapse or epic comeback. It was a 7 point game for most of the second half.

I’d have found it to be more “appropriate” to this season had they tied and we missed the playoffs as a result. 😆

Saying the Saints are cured is so 80s.
If they were cursed, the franchise wouldn’t have made it to 9 wins with these injuries.
They have no idea what a curse is….the Saints prior to 1987 had 0 winning seasons, was first victory for Tampa Bay after 0-26 start to franchise, blew a 35-7 halftime lead against the 49ers, and became the first fan base to wear “anonymous” Schweggman grocery bags over their heads.

The curse was Mecom and has long since been exorcised.

They have no idea what a curse is….the Saints prior to 1987 had 0 winning seasons, was first victory for Tampa Bay after 0-26 start to franchise, blew a 35-7 halftime lead against the 49ers, and became the first fan base to wear “anonymous” Schweggman grocery bags over their heads.

Agreed. Everything that has happened outside the horrid no-call and the Minneapolis Miracle are all things that happen commonly due to the parity in the league.

We missed the playoffs due to a 5 game losing streak and an inexcusable loss to the hapless Giants.

Seasons have to be looked at in their entirety. Sure we still had a shot at the end that didn’t come through, but that’s not because of a curse.

It was a miracle that we won 9 games. CSP should be coach of the year for cobbling together a winning season.

The Rams weren’t going to pass due to wanting the Niners to burn their timeouts and they weren’t running worth a darn that game. So the 3 and out seemed almost inevitable.

Hell, the reason the Niners punted was because they felt they had a good chance of getting it back.

Also when the Niners did score there was only about 30 seconds or so left, so preventing the Rams from scoring in the final drive of regulation wasn’t all that remarkable. The Rams, again weren’t going to take a huge risk.

Also in OT the Niners won the toss and had an 8 minute drive for a FG before the Rams ever touched the ball.

So it really makes me question the stats that determine those “chance of winning” percentages. That game stunk for us, but it wasn’t some epic collapse or epic comeback. It was a 7 point game for most of the second half.

I’d have found it to be more “appropriate” to this season had they tied and we missed the playoffs as a result. 😆
I was following the “chance of winning” during that game more than I have for any other game. It fluctuated wildly. Once OT started and FOX picked up the bonus coverage, I switched from ESPN’s Gamecast to TV, but I’d imagine that the chance of winning went up drastically after LA’s first down play, and continued to do so.

The talk of curses and conspiracies gets way overplayed around here. Think Vikings and Bills fans don't feel cursed? What about football fans in St. Louis, who have suffered the loss of two franchises since the 80s? Cowboys' fans and "The Catch"and later the controversial incomplete call against the Packers? I watched the Chiefs endure bad calls on the same day the Saints were no-called out of a NFC championship by ****** officiating. (Edited: Hell, anybody really think Rams' fans aren't feeling bewildered and disappointed by the loss to the Niners?)

Not even scratching the surface here. Every team suffers heartbreaking losses that defy reason and explanation. Every team, at some time or another, has felt screwed over on a bad call. NFL officiating has always been plagued by human error and, sure, you'll get no argument from me that it only seems to get worse (whether that's true or not.) Many of us remember the Jerry Rice fumble that wasn’t called and cost the Saints a game.

The Saints have had their share of bad breaks and this season, especially, was one setback after the next, but it's really not true that the universe is out to get us, nor is the league, for that matter, or whatever else helps makes sense of the disappointment in people's minds.

No. They’re in the playoffs with a division championship and the 3 seed. We’re done for the year.

I didn't say anything about the consequences being the same, but have you ever enjoyed watching the Saints collapse after a 17 point lead?

I will concede that "just as" was inaccurate.

Yep complete classic Saints right there. This team is cursed. I just dont get it.

This team fought and overcame so much bad luck only to be snake bitten in almost an unimaginable way. A crippled QB leading his team to victory after a large deficit.
We totally didn't handle business on our end in the earlier part of the season. We should have beat NY. The MIA game as other have pointed out was just good 'ol fashioned shafting to not reschedule it.

Don't forget about the trick play the hapless Rams fell for that netted SF a TD. Heck Samuel had as many TD's as Jimmy G.

I hate to say it, but I really want Dallas to bounce SF from the playoffs.

We totally didn't handle business on our end in the earlier part of the season. We should have beat NY. The MIA game as other have pointed out was just good 'ol fashioned shafting to not reschedule it.

The Miami game was a travesty but since it was already scheduled for Monday, I really don't know that moving it would have been terribly beneficial. How many players did we get back for Tuesday? I remember seeing an article that went into why some games were moved and others weren't, but I didn't do more than glance at it and couldn't tell you if the reasons seemed genuine or not. With the way our season went, it was hard to get too invested in the decisions that just made everything else seem even worse.

At the start of the season, the league made it clear they weren't rescheduling games beyond the week they were scheduled to be played. If they did move the Miami game, that would have just shortened the prep for the Panthers, and I don't know how much better off we would have been.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom