4th and 2 (1 Viewer)

mmule

Mikee-GA is back!
Reaction score
Great game y'all.

One question, was it too windy to try a FG from inside the 30 in the first quarter? I wouldn't have gone for a 4th and 2 at that point from that field position. Do you think we'd have tried it if Hartley'd been active.

I figure if we'd had an extra 3 points at that point it may have changed how both teams approached the game. Maybe we'd have been a little more comfortable a little earlier, and maybe made the Bills a little more anxious a little earlier.

Mikeeeeeee

had Brees not slipped he would have had time to scan the field and find an open reciever. instead he tripped and threw a pass to Reggie before the play had developed.

For Carney yes. His leg isn't strong enough for a 45ish yarder in that kind of wind. It's a tough kick for anyone but nearly impossible for him.

I liked the call. Not sure Carney has great range anymore, especially in a fickle wind. Good call, bad execution...imo.

i'm glad we went for it - i wasn't glad we called a play so similar to two on that drive that did not go well at all - the dump to shockey when stinch got called for block in the back and the jump "pass" to devery

For Carney yes. His leg isn't strong enough for a 45ish yarder in that kind of wind. It's a tough kick for anyone but nearly impossible for him.

Yep. And if you miss it. You give up the ball seven yards back. Can't punt it - you net 25 yards or so, max.

We had 3 choices there.

A) Use Carney, who's range is already suspect, from 45 yards out with wind.
B) Punt it, most likely only gaining 8 yards becasue it's all but guranteed to be a touchback that close to the goaline.
C) Go for it.

The call wasn't the normal call but it was the right one for that situation.

had Brees not slipped he would have had time to scan the field and find an open reciever. instead he tripped and threw a pass to Reggie before the play had developed.

I'm rewatching the game right now and you have it on the money. Brees lost his footing, throwing the timing off. Reggie was pretty much his only choice.

agreed with the call. It would have been a very difficult FG try with that wind. The play would have worked had Drew not lost his footing coming out of the snap. I think the play was designed to go to RB on the swing/screen type play. With Drew loosing his footing, another defender was able to get out there in the flat and ge to RB before he could get going and use the one blocker he had out there.

QUESTION:

If Payton KNOWS this is 4 down territory when it is THIRD & 2... why not run it twice? I didn't like the fact that we threw it twice in that situation...

I thought thats one of the reasons we got Evens, 4th and short

The wind seemed awfully unpredictable too, the flags on each of the goal posts were blowing in different directions.

Carney doesn't have the leg from that far out, especially with the swirling winds in Buffalo.

The play was a designed swing screen to Reggie. If Brees doesn't stumble, Stinchcomb takes out the safety, and Reggie beats the LB to the first down marker.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom