5 Days at Memorial - Katrina doc on Apple TV (1 Viewer)

something came up that reminded me of this just last night. My GF cannot talk about the war that happened in her country. In fact, none of the Vn people that I know are willing to. So when we were purchasing NYC Flex passes last night, it occurred to me that she may not be able to do the 911 stuff. She agreed that it may be difficult but eventually said she would like to go anyway. I told her that it had messed with me for a long time (the people jumping in particular). It kind of generated a similar feeling - something just better left in the past. But we are going.
One of the simplest but most profound art pieces I ever saw was called ‘the other Vietnam memorial’
There was a central pillar with ‘pages’ (so a circular book)
It was filled with the names of the Vietnamese deaths from the Vietnam war - it was huge

9/11 hit personally for me - an ex (who lived in NYC) had broken up A few months before- we got back together after that - but try as we might we still couldn’t make it work

Contrast to Katrina when my now wife and I (early into the relationship) evacuated together- we figured if we could handle that, how hard could marriage be

something came up that reminded me of this just last night. My GF cannot talk about the war that happened in her country. In fact, none of the Vn people that I know are willing to. So when we were purchasing NYC Flex passes last night, it occurred to me that she may not be able to do the 911 stuff. She agreed that it may be difficult but eventually said she would like to go anyway. I told her that it had messed with me for a long time (the people jumping in particular). It kind of generated a similar feeling - something just better left in the past. But we are going.

the 9/11 museum - be prepared.

We went in 2009 ( temporary museum wife and I went to ) and then i took my girls back in June ( the new finished one ) . I needed them to understand.

There is a room off pathway thru with a small warning sign ( not large enough in my view ) that is ONLY about ( with narration and video ) of what messed with you in particular. I walked in, looked up, saw and immediately reversed out and kept my girls out.

The whole thing is well done - in the footprint of the towers ( its actually IN the lower levels of Tower I i believe - where the walls are laid bare to see foundation, pilings, retaining wall/bulkhead wall etc )

ITs very hard but also quite nice to see all the varying nationalities that come to pay respect to those whose lives were forever changed by 9/11.

Episode 5 and it’s getting really rough

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom