"5 NFL vets destined to fall off the cliff this season" Brad Gagnon names Drew the #1 (1 Viewer)

2010 Favre was DOA. But Favre relied so heavily on throwing the ball into seemingly impossible windows that he was destined to drop off a cliff once his physical gifts failed him.

Marino was a gradual decline. He wasn't the same at the end of his career, but was still a better QB than Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and 2015 Manning who probably could've won a Super Bowl if he'd had a better defense or skill position players.

I know. It's like these talking heads think Drew is either going to be great or unplayable. For Drew it's a gradual decline, not a cliff.

How many great QBs have showed up one season and couldn't play a lick all of the sudden? Manning is the only guy who comes to mind right off the bat.

My one take-away from that article is that there are far too many people writing articles. That is some lazy stuff right there.

I opened up an interview with Armstead at the beginning of training camp this way: “My question has to do with Drew, age and a falloff …”

Armstead cut me off saying, “Those three terms shouldn’t even be in the same thought. Superman. Superman.”

“Why don’t you subscribe to that theory?” I asked.

“If you consider an MVP season as falling off, sheet, I want to fall off too,” Armstead said. “After a year like Drew had and that’s falling off, sign me up.”

:LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

I'll easily take the bet of Brees falling off a cliff. It's not happening.

Drew Bree’s QB rating was 115 last season. His “drop off” period was the end of the season, when injuries pile up and the Saints had already locked up a playoff spot and were trying just not to get people hurt.

Most importantly his completion percentage was 74%. That is an unthinkable stat only 15 years ago. Joe Montana at his best would never have dreamed of completing 74% of his passes.

A high completion percentage means EFFICIENCY. In today’s league it isn’t about how many yards you get, it’s about when you get them. Can you move the sticks. Can you convert 4th and 3s. Drew can still do that. Deep in the playoffs he will need other people to step up to help carry the load, but even if he “drops off” to 68%, that will still be enough to give us at least one home playoff game. Let Cam Jordan and Alvin Kamara do the rest.

Sorry if already posted. Saw this on the MSN news feed. Talk about your bulletin board material. I hope and pray Drew makes Gagnon eat this.

1565125040322.png

New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees: I include him with great reluctance, but few quarterbacks have ever succeeded beyond 40. Sure, Tom Brady did, but he’s a hell of an anomaly. Brees will soon become only the second player ever to attempt 10,000 career passes, and there are signs he’s slowing down. In his last four games of the 2018 regular season, he threw just three touchdown passes to three interceptions and posted an ugly 84.7 passer rating.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly, but according to this chart, Drew led the NFL in Passer Rating last year (talking about starting QB's):

And...

Percent Completions: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...=PASSING_COMPLETION_PERCENTAGE&qualified=true

I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly, but according to this chart, Drew led the NFL in Passer Rating last year (talking about starting QB's):

I'm not questioning that reporter's knowledge and insight, but I've got SAINTS ball caps that are older than him!

And they have been putting articles out about Brees decline and Payton going to the Cowboys for what 5+ years now? I mean, eventually they will be right (about Brees, likely after he retires and one day Payton will not be the Saints coach) but they've already been wrong for years now...to the point where anyone saying/writing about this should be humiliated...but PK and all the others seem above the facts....

2010 Favre was DOA. But Favre relied so heavily on throwing the ball into seemingly impossible windows that he was destined to drop off a cliff once his physical gifts failed him.

Marino was a gradual decline. He wasn't the same at the end of his career, but was still a better QB than Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and 2015 Manning who probably could've won a Super Bowl if he'd had a better defense or skill position players.
Favre went DOA because he was a beer drinking, pill popping, tobacco spitting, woman chaser who probably didn't hit the weights, or the tread mill for more than 30 minutes a week in the offseason & it finally caught up to him. Plus the last three years of his career the media was following him around like the cops chasing OJ the first couple of weeks of training camp just to see if he decided he wanted to play that season for 20 million bucks that year. It was great theater. The question is how good could he have been & for how long had he disciplined himself & taken care of his body like both Brees & Brady do. I don't know that these two guys don't have a secret side wager to see if one, or both of them makes it to 50 & beats old man Blanda's record for time served.

1565127187385.png

Okay, I saw this kid the other day. He came riding up on a bicycle with black pants, white shirt & a back pack. And started witnessing about the book of Mormon.

Brees "falling off the cliff" is low hanging fruit. The reason is simple...he's a statistical anomaly.

The productivity he's maintained for going on 13 years is unprecedented. So statistical theory implies that eventually there is a regression to the mean. The thing is, the "mean" for Drew Brees would still be better than most starting QBs in the league.

So basically, Brees would be considered "in decline" putting up numbers that most QBs could only aspire to achieve.

There were some claiming Brees was in decline last year because he failed to put up 4,000 yards. That should tell you how skewed Brees has made things with his insane productivity.

I know. It's like these talking heads think Drew is either going to be great or unplayable. For Drew it's a gradual decline, not a cliff.

How many great QBs have showed up one season and couldn't play a lick all of the sudden? Manning is the only guy who comes to mind right off the bat.

And his ace still won the Super Bowl in his "couldn't play a lick" season.

Sorry if already posted. Saw this on the MSN news feed. Talk about your bulletin board material. I hope and pray Drew makes Gagnon eat this.

New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees: I include him with great reluctance, but few quarterbacks have ever succeeded beyond 40. Sure, Tom Brady did, but he’s a hell of an anomaly. Brees will soon become only the second player ever to attempt 10,000 career passes, and there are signs he’s slowing down. In his last four games of the 2018 regular season, he threw just three touchdown passes to three interceptions and posted an ugly 84.7 passer rating.

Drew was injured trying to make a tackle after an interception vs the Falcons. The team didn't really talk about it, but if you look at his stats before that moment and after, it's pretty obvious that's why his numbers went down last season. I don't think many people really know about it.

Brees before that hit:

2,964 Yds, (257/334 77%) 25 TDs, 1 Int (127 rating)
Per Game Avg : 296 yards (26/33) 2.5 TDS, .1 Int
8.9 yards gained per pass attempt

Brees after that hit:

1,028 Yds, (107/155 69%) 7 TDs, 4 Ints (91.5 rating)
Per Game Avg : 205 yards (21/31) 1.4 TDs, .8 Int
6.6 yards gained per pass attempt

I've seen it before so would not be that surprising if it happened. However, if his argument is based on a player being an 'anomaly'...then no one epitomizes the word 'anomaly' more than Drew Brees. Too short to play in the NFL...weak arm..."Career-Ending" shoulder injury...only team that wanted him was a hurricane ravaged team/city...yet he made it all work to the tune of a Superbowl.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom