5 no brainer internal moves that I anticipate the Saints making this offseason to prepare for free agency (1 Viewer)

Bayareasaint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Good afternoon who dats and happy Valentine's day!!!

This will be my first ever thread after lurking here for over a decade so please take it easy on me.

I wanted to help give other Saints fans an idea of how we might see the roster manipulated in the next month or so in preparation for free agency. As the title mentions, I think you can expect these 5 moves to occur, and want to give you an idea of where we may be cap wise in it's wake. These are my opinions alone, no regurgitated crap that came from some podcast or a blogger on the internet. I enjoy the start of a new league year as much as the games themselves. The roster manipulations, the salary dumps, and the rumor mill that's connected to the big prized free agents.

The Saints are sitting in the $12M range in terms of their current cap space. I know some sites may differ, but I will be using the salary information provided by Spotrac.com to explain the moves and the financials that go with it.

With that said, let's get into it!!

1. Restructure Michael Thomas

This is the biggest no brainer of the offseason. We will be doing this with at least one other player this offseason. Simply put, you are pushing the guarantees of the players contract down the road for financial flexibility now. This is a move that you only want to do if you feel confident that the player can be effective at the end of the contract. If you feel confident that the player will be, then this is an easy move. If you have concerns about a players age or ability to stay healthy (Armstead) then you try to hold off on doing this with your larger salaried players.

Financial impact: The Saints would clear roughly $8.2M in cap space, and put them at around $20.2M in total space.

2. Release Janoris Jenkins

This also feels like a given to me. We needed what he gave us last year, but we we're never going to pay him $11.25M in 2020 to be our number 2 CB. We will need to address that position at some point, but the free agent market is very juicy at this position. We will have a lot of options if we deem it a necessary position to address in free agency.

Financial impact: Jenkins has zero dead money on his deal. He will cost us nothing to release, which I'm sure played a role in us acquiring him during the season. His release will free up $11.25M leaving us at roughly $31.45M in total space.

3. Release Kiko Alonso

Unfortunately, Kiko got hurt at the worse possible time. He will not be ready to play at any point through the first 12 weeks of the 2020 season. His contract also dictates this as he has approximately $850K in dead cap charges if released. That's not a big number. Alonso really helped us last year at a position of need, but be prepared to say adios, nice to have known ya'!!

Financial impact: This move would free up around $7.825M and leave us with about $38.7M in total cap space.

4. Restructure Terron Armstead

I mentioned earlier why this could be a dangerous move, however, let me tell you why it makes perfect sense. Terron only has 2 years left on his deal, so your essentially guaranteeing his 2021 season by restructuring his deal. If Armstead we're to get hurt and miss say 7 games next year, would you anticipate the Saints cutting him this time next year? I say no way!! If you agree with that then you should be all for it.

Financial impact: This move would free up around $4.9M and put us around $43.6M in total cap space.

5. Trade Sheldon Rankins

This might be where you disagree with me, but as the great singer Bryson Tiller would say... Let me explain. I like Rankins a lot, but I feel he is a luxury not a necessity. A good 3-technique can really help a defense, but I feel like we have other options at the position especially if we bring back Onyemata. He would surely be a more affordable contract then what it would cost on Sheldon's 5th year option for 2020, and a long term contract after that (not to mention putting a tag on him for 2021). Also, I feel like we could get our 2nd round pick back in a trade.

Financial impact: Sheldon's fifth year option has no dead cap tied to it. His trade would free up the whole $7.7M he is scheduled to make in 2020. This would leave us around $51.3M in cap space.

So please let me know your thoughts on these possible moves and any others you would like to see the Saints make prior to the new league year. Again, take it easy on me as this again is my first thread ever!! I'd like to create another one on how I would utilize the $50M+ in space. We obviously have a lot of free agents I'd like to retain and a 41 year old future Hall Of Fame QB to fairly compensate. I am also aware that a trade would have to wait until after the new league year begins, but wanted to include it here as a move that still would impact our offseason. So I hope you enjoyed this... Now go buy your significant other some chocolate covered strawberries and a blank card with your heart-felt words explaining what they mean to you. Peace

Last edited:

This will be my first ever thread after lurking here for over a decade so please take it easy on me.

I wanted to help give other Saints fans an idea of how we might see the roster manipulated in the next month or so in preparation for free agency. As the title mentions, I think you can expect these 5 moves to occur, and want to give you an idea of where we may be cap wise in it's wake. These are my opinions alone, no regurgitated crap that came from some podcast or a blogger on the internet. I enjoy the start of a new league year as much as the games themselves. The roster manipulations, the salary dumps, and the rumor mill that's connected to the big prized free agents.

The Saints are sitting in the $12M range in terms of their current cap space. I know some sites may differ, but I will be using the salary information provided by Spotrac.com to explain the moves and the financials that go with it.

This is the biggest no brainer of the offseason. We will be doing this with at least one other player this offseason. Simply put, you are pushing the guarantees of the players contract down the road for financial flexibility now. This is a move that you only want to do if you feel confident that the player can be effective at the end of the contract. If you feel confident that the player will be, then this is an easy move. If you have concerns about a players age or ability to stay healthy (Armstead) then you try to hold off on doing this with your larger salaried players.

Financial impact: The Saints would clear roughly $8.2M in cap space, and put them at around $20.2M in total space.

This also feels like a given to me. We needed what he gave us last year, but we we're never going to pay him $11.25M in 2020 to be our number 2 CB. We will need to address that position at some point, but the free agent market is very juicy at this position. We will have a lot of options if we deem it a necessary position to address in free agency.

Financial impact: Jenkins has zero dead money on his deal. He will cost us nothing to release, which I'm sure played a role in us acquiring him during the season. His release will free up $11.25M leaving us at roughly $31.45M in total space.

3. Release Kiko Alonso

Unfortunately, Kiko got hurt at the worse possible time. He will not be ready to play at any point through the first 12 weeks of the 2020 season. His contract also dictates this as he has approximately $850K in dead cap charges if released. That's not a big number. Alonso really helped us last year at a position of need, but be prepared to say adios, nice to have known ya'!!

Financial impact: This move would free up around $7.825M and leave us with about $38.7M in total cap space.

I mentioned earlier why this could be a dangerous move, however, let me tell you why it makes perfect sense. Terron only has 2 years left on his deal, so your essentially guaranteeing his 2021 season by restructuring his deal. If Armstead we're to get hurt and miss say 7 games next year, would you anticipate the Saints cutting him this time next year? I say no way!! If you agree with that then you should be all for it.

Financial impact: This move would free up around $4.9M and put us around $43.6M in total cap space.

5. Trade Sheldon Rankins

This might be where you disagree with me, but as the great singer Bryson Tiller would say... Let me explain. I like Rankins a lot, but I feel he is a luxury not a necessity. A good 3-technique can really help a defense, but I feel like we have other options at the position especially if we bring back Onyemata. He would surely be a more affordable contract then what it would cost on Sheldon's 5th year option for 2020, and a long term contract after that (not to mention putting a tag on him for 2021). Also, I feel like we could get our 2nd round pick back in a trade.

Financial impact: Sheldon's fifth year option has no dead cap tied to it. His trade would free up the whole $7.7M he is scheduled to make in 2020. This would leave us around $51.3M in cap space.

So please let me know your thoughts on these possible moves and any others you would like to see the Saints make prior to the new league year. Again, take it easy on me as this again is my first thread ever!! I'd like to do create another one on how I would utilize the $50M+ in space. We obviously have a lot of free agents I'd like to retain and a 41 year old future Hall Of Fame QB to fairly compensate. So I hope you enjoyed this... Now go buy your significant other some chocolate covered strawberries and a blank card with your heart-felt words explaining what they mean to you. Peace

Bayarea! Thx for finally coming out of the closet. You post some awesome stuff. Please keep bringing it on!

1. Probably too soon to restructure Thomas.
2. I would think we would at least try to see if we could get Jenkins to stay for the right money. Competent CBs are very, very hard to find.
3. I don't think he'd be missed.
4. We just did this recently. We'll see.
5. It's pretty difficult to get anything for a guy who finished the last two seasons with injuries, one of them significant. Might be better off extending him if he understands his market value, given his injury history.

3. Release Kiko Alonso

5. Trade Sheldon Rankins

So please let me know your thoughts on these possible moves and any others you would like to see the Saints make prior to the new league year. Again, take it easy on me as this again is my first thread ever!! I'd like to create another one on how I would utilize the $50M+ in space. We obviously have a lot of free agents I'd like to retain and a 41 year old future Hall Of Fame QB to fairly compensate. I am also aware that a trade would have to wait until after the new league year begins, but wanted to include it here as a move that still would impact our offseason. So I hope you enjoyed this... Now go buy your significant other some chocolate covered strawberries and a blank card with your heart-felt words explaining what they mean to you. Peace
I like it. But lets add JackRabbit to the restructure list. We need a good #2. JackRabbit was used to being the #1 until he came to us. You still can save about 6 mil off of a restructure.

Restructuring Warford can save cap, about 8 mil.

Patrick Robinson is a straight up cut that saves cap, 4 ml.

A Nick Easton cut saves 4 mil.

Mario Edwards can save us 3 mil.

And I would dangle Rankins in a trade, but not cut him. He's too valuable to give away, even with the cap savings.

GOOD POST.

I like the list but I disagree with Rankins and Jenkins. Rankins is special but he can't go a whole year without a serious injury so far, and even though Jenkins is older it's worth trying to a respectable deal with him.

All good thoughts here. Rankins can't be just given away in a trade, and I'm sure he won't. For those older Saints fans like me, this isn't our father's FO. And they'll make a concerted effort to coax a good deal out of Jackrabbit. He's a solid vet worth tinkering some numbers for.

The Jenkins situation is so tough; because the Saints have had so much trouble finding a reliable solution at the #2 Cornerback spot for seemingly the last six seasons. (Devante Harris, Crawley, Apple) all didn't pan out, and you do have to pay for this position..

On the other hand.. Corners usually don't get better after the age of 31; so you are taking a risk with an extension when he inevitably hits the point of a harsh decline. Either eat an $11 mil cap hit for a team tight on cap, or try your luck in free agency again..

Some Corners on the free agent market: High price: Byron Jones, Chris Harris Jr, James Bradberry.
Next tier: Logan Ryan, Kendall Fuller, Trae Waynes, Jimmy Smith, Bradley Roby, Kendall Fuller.

What kind of value does Sheldon Rankins actually have on the trade market? After 2 season ending injuries with only one year left on his deal I don't think anyone's giving up anything substantial for him with that level of uncertainty.. A 4th rounder, maybe a 3rd if we're extremely lucky? I think for better or for worse Rankins is staying with the Saints this year on his 5th year option.. and he either comes back and makes a lot of money for himself with a resurgence, or he never really truly recovers and the Saints can move on after this season...

Last edited:
1) It is pretty rare that a team restructures a contract less than a year after granting it, it will make sense to restructure MT at some point but really don't think it will happen so soon.
2) I think our Saints will make every effort (short of a huge money multiyear deal) to keep Jenkins, I think he can play at a high level for another 2 maybe 3 years....would hate to see him walk.
3) Agreed.
4) I think we have already restructured Armstead once...
5) You are assuming Rankins has some trade value, his inability (or bad luck) to stay healthy makes me believe he wouldn't garner more than a late round pick....

3. Release Kiko Alonso

5. Trade Sheldon Rankins

1. Agree but maybe too early to do.
2. We need JJ more than he needs us. Find a way to sign him
3. I like Kiko. I'd like to see him stay. ANzelone is a guy who just can't stay healthy he may have to go
4. I don't think Armstead leaves until Brees Leaves. BUt he certainly has a problem staying healthy but a great guy and great team mate.
5. Rankins if healthy is the bomb. He needs to stay.

The Jenkins situation is so tough; because the Saints have had so much trouble finding a reliable solution at the #2 Cornerback spot for seemingly the last six seasons. (Devante Harris, Crawley, Apple) all didn't pan out, and you do have to pay for this position..

On the other hand.. Corners usually don't get better after the age of 31; so you are taking a risk with an extension when he inevitably hits the point of a harsh decline. Either eat an $11 mil cap hit for a team tight on cap, or try your luck in free agency again..

Some Corners on the free agent market: High price: Byron Jones, Chris Harris Jr, James Bradberry.
Next tier: Logan Ryan, Kendall Fuller, Trae Waynes, Jimmy Smith, Bradley Roby, Kendall Fuller.

What kind of value does Sheldon Rankins actually have on the trade market? After 2 season ending injuries with only one year left on his deal I don't think anyone's giving up anything substantial for him with that level of uncertainty.. A 4th rounder, maybe a 3rd if we're extremely lucky? I think for better or for worse Rankins is staying with the Saints this year on his 5th year option.. and he either comes back and makes a lot of money for himself with a resurgence, or he never really truly recovers and the Saints can move on after this season...
A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. If JackRabbit gets his 11 mil I think he'll be ok if its mostly in a bonus that'll stretch 3 years against the cap.

But if I did had my picks my choices would be Kendall Fuller or Trae Waynes. We don't need to break the bank Latty coming up.

1. I would put Thomas toward the bottom of the list. In other words, I would do the other moves first before I pushed back that money. Hopefully you can get a good start on paying off his contract.

2. I would try to get Jenkins back but for the most part, I agree. Reduce what we are paying for a #2 CB. It should be more like 8m/yr, which would probably be around 5m in 2020.

3. Alonso seems like the most given move. It probably ends up not happening because of that. His contract needs work regardless.

4. I think you should extend Warford instead since he's in the last year of his deal. He's very overpaid atm and I think he has another 3 decent years in him. You can do the same for Armstead in 2021.

5. I think Rankins is primed for a big year. I'd extend him and get his number down if anything.

There are other small but significant moves that could be made. Maybe the biggest of them is P-Rob.

Last edited:

3. Release Kiko Alonso

5. Trade Sheldon Rankins

Good post. A lot of good points and a lot to talk about.

Well done!!

We need to extend Armstead, not restructure him.
It needs to be done in such a way that if we take a potential successor (that I think is very likely) he could be traded with minimal blowback.

Armstead is a certified beast. ButI worry about his longevity. Seeking an alternative ain’t polite. But it’s sensible to me.

3. Release Kiko Alonso

5. Trade Sheldon Rankins

Ummm, Rankins was best defensive player on team 2 years ago. This year, of course, was Davis. The day Rankins and Davenport went out this year was the beginning of the end for Saints. No way I would let him go .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom