5 years ago this very night (1 Viewer)

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
Brees broke Marino's single-season yardage record while drubbing the Falcons :worthy:

Saints were arguably the hottest team in football at that point......and would go on to score 40-plus points in week 17 as well as their home wildcard game, and (for that section of Saints fans who care about this) LSU was about to play for the national title.

Let's take a moment to fondly reminisce about that timeframe that took place right before 2012 would go on to bring us LSU's debacle, the Frisco divisional playoff game 5 days later and Bountygate :9:

That night was my bachelor party before getting married.

My wife ended up making me a saints themed cake and for my wedding gift she got me a saints helmet autographed by drew brees and Reggie bush.

That was probably the highest point I had ever felt as a saints fan. Of course 2006 and 2009 are hard to top but man I was feeling good that night watching Drew Brees do his thing and tear up the Falcons.

Good times. Thank you for the reminder of some wonderful times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was back when the Saints offense was literally unstoppable. Soo many back shoulder passes that we knew were coming but defenses couldn't do a thing about it. Why cant we get back to that?

That was back when the Saints offense was literally unstoppable. Soo many back shoulder passes that we knew were coming but defenses couldn't do a thing about it. Why cant we get back to that?

Cuz we don't have the best receiver in saints history anymore.

Cuz we don't have the best receiver in saints history anymore.

Defenses also evolve and adjust too. I hate Seattle,but I have to give them credit for changing the way teams defend the pass now.

A Qb isn't going to make a living throwing too many back shoulder throws against Richard Sherman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx3-IyNS900

A back shoulder pass is basically a under thrown pass aimed at the Db's helmet. If the defender doesn't turn his head, it's an easy completion.
You can see in the video, Sherman isn't concerned about winning a foot race with the receiver he's covering. He goes against a Db's natural
instinct and turns his head to locate the ball. Once he does,he uses his body to shield the receiver,and that under thrown back shoulder pass
becomes a easy interception.

That 2011 offense had all the pieces.

Brees running the show
Pierre Thomas doing his thing
Sproles exploiting mismatches
Ivory as the power runner
Jimmy Graham at his peak
Colston being Colston
Devery as the speed WR
Lance Moore doing the McCringleberry

Brees running the show
Jimmy Graham at his peak
Colston being Colston
Devery as the speed WR

Nicks and Evans too!

Brees running the show
Jimmy Graham at his peak
Colston being Colston
Devery as the speed WR

Would be a crime to leave Meachem out.

Should have been Super Bowl #2 if not for a brain dead Gregg Williams defensive strategy that left Vernon Davis wide open all the way down the field in the final minute+ of the game. That offense was very special. Should be a worthy subject for a Missing Rings episode because that team would have taken everyone else out if they just make it past that 49ers, West Coast travel game.

I've often wondered what would have happened with the Bountygate mess if the NFL was dealing with its defending Super Bowl champion following the season. It seems to me they might have handled it a bit differently given the high profile nature that would have gone with a Super Bowl win but we will never know.

Should have been Super Bowl #2 if not for a brain dead Gregg Williams defensive strategy that left Vernon Davis wide open all the way down the field in the final minute+ of the game. That offense was very special. Should be a worthy subject for a Missing Rings episode because that team would have taken everyone else out if they just make it past that 49ers, West Coast travel game.

I've often wondered what would have happened with the Bountygate mess if the NFL was dealing with its defending Super Bowl champion following the season. It seems to me they might have handled it a bit differently given the high profile nature that would have gone with a Super Bowl win but we will never know.

Something tells me they would have treated us worse had we won the Super Bowl that year.

That night was my bachelor party before getting married.

My condolences! :)

autographed by drew brees and Reggie bush. That was probably the highest point I had ever felt as a saints fan.

One of my highest points was in 2000, the year the Saints won their first playoff game. It was against the Rams, the Greatest Show on Turf. Nobody expected us to win. Willie Jackson caught three touchdown passes, including the game winner.

About 2 hours after the game, my wife brought home his autograph - singed just two hours after the game. He was having dinner at Mike Anderson's in Metairie. Willie Jackson #88.

I love that autograph. I'll never forget it.

If we can get back to that, we're a guaranteed playoff team.

I really believe we'll have a kick arse (top 15) defense that will create turnovers in 2017. That, along with an improved O-line, (with Atlanta having a 1st place schedule), the Saints' next season looks VERY bright!

:gosaints:

The best game I've ever attended.

C'mon guys, top it next year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom