50 Gay States - Interesting Survey/Matching (1 Viewer)

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
LGBT rights calculator

Interesting interactive poll/survey. I came out matched with #1 as DC and Washington state with Louisiana as 40th best match for me. Looks like I live in the right place for my views. How about you?

BTW, Alabama, Mississippi and Oklahoma are tied for worst matched to my own views.

I like it because it's not a right/wrong judgmental thing, it just aligns the views you express with what each state's existing laws are.

TulsaSaint

Sem medo de ser feliz
Reaction score
Similar results for me. DC and Washington were tied for first. North Carolina was 29. Louisiana was 46. Alabama, Mississippi, and Oklahoma were tied for last.

OP
Galbreath34

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, it's remarkably complex in the middle, because of the sliders for how important things are. I'm opinionated, but I couldn't go 5 on importance for everything ;) Just for fun I did sliders maxed on all the no "special" rights and keeping sodomy illegal etc and got Mississippi as untied top state and Washington was alone as worst match. It's interesting how wide the variation in laws has become throughout the states, probably the one area with the biggest state-to-state difference. BTW, was also surprised to see Iowa as 3rd best match for me. Who'd have thought a red plains state would be 3rd above the rest of the left coast?

AnnaAD

#1 hall & oates superfan
Reaction score
LGBT rights calculator

Interesting interactive poll/survey. I came out matched with #1 as DC and Washington state with Louisiana as 40th best match for me. Looks like I live in the right place for my views. How about you?

BTW, Alabama, Mississippi and Oklahoma are tied for worst matched to my own views.

I like it because it's not a right/wrong judgmental thing, it just aligns the views you express with what each state's existing laws are.
I got the exact same results as you.

BIG E

SR is my life!
Reaction score
It's not working now. I guess the SR members blew it up.

Severum

Staff member
Administrator
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
DC and Washington were tied for first. North Carolina was 29. Louisiana was 46. Alabama, Mississippi, and Oklahoma were tied for last.
Exact same results here.

I currently live in the right place for my views...a year ago, not so much.

OP
Galbreath34

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just absolutely stunned that half of the states in the South ranked last in this survey. SHOCKED. I tell you!
Dunno, for the full fledged one way or the other down the line it's pretty easy to guess many, but like I said Iowa and others sorta stunned me. When someone says their view put Texas below my bottom states of Mississippi, Oklahoma and Alabama, and that Connecticut was on top it's not an easy read on exactly what differing laws matched up. To me it's what makes it interesting.

It's also something that should make anyone whose passionate one way or another a little sad. It's a pretty fundamental issue, and to have your choice of where to live mean so much seems just messed up. Imagine if there were that much variation in labor laws or drug laws. If you cared about something enough you might have to move to a new state just to get the right set of laws.

Crzycjunx76

Iron Era Origional
Reaction score
Seattle by way of Texas, originating in SELA.
1. Connecticut, Maine, and Vermont

50. Louisiana, Texas :covri:
Same here... where I currently live (Washington) came in 4th, but I was born in Louisiana and lived from 1st grade to the completion of my bachelors degree in Texas. My better half is pushing a move back to Texas as well.

Some of the of the questions I would not answer the way I did if it was not multiple choice.

For instance:

#1) I answered Marriage but I would have answered Civil Union if I could have specified that I feel that is all that governments should be recognizing for legal purposes and that marriage as it has come to be defined in today's public consciousness should be an unregulated agreement between two people with no legal recognition what so ever. Churches can chose to marry or not marry whomever they choose.

#6) What classroom are we talking about? Sex Ed? Health? those are fine. History and Biology I could see as well. However Physics? Algebra? no, because it has nothing to do with the context of the class... sexuality should not be a topic of discussion and if there is an issue in class that causes to need to be discussed outside of the context of the curriculum in ANY class it should be handled by a school counselor or administrator.

#8) Protections? What kind of protections? The same ones that are afforded every other citizen? Yes... special protections? Probably not... I would certainly need clarification on that.

wcklink

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Ohio #1 for me, Maryland and Minnesota at the bottom. My results may be skewed because I didn't feel the need to further expand the existing laws against hate crimes,discrimination in housing, employment, and bullying to include a specific group identity. Seems discrimination laws against anyone are already on the books, in most instances.

drob8785

All-Pro
Reaction score
Seems discrimination laws against anyone are already on the books, in most instances.
This is far from the truth.

In more than half the states, you can be fired from your job based only on your sexual orientation. The pre-existing anti-discrimination laws do not cover sexual orientation or gender identity.

wcklink

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
This is far from the truth.

In more than half the states, you can be fired from your job based only on your sexual orientation. The pre-existing anti-discrimination laws do not cover sexual orientation or gender identity.
I'm against discrimination in any form, be it race, religion, age, national origin, or sexual identity. In states that have tightly written laws, LGBT should be included. Seems to me that discrimination of any type should be identifiable and should be stopped without creating special laws for a special groups. Do discrimination laws need to be written with a laundry list of potential victims, or can't we just state discrimination for any reason is both wrong and illegal?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom