$50 rebate on XBox 360 elite.. (1 Viewer)

I guess i'm in the minority. I possess the skills necessary to install my own ethernet jacks in my walls, and running cable is not a problem, at all.

not everyone can hook up directly to their modem or router

this has been discussed before

for the record, i don't use wireless on my ps3, but i know a few people that have to

Yea, I'm going to have to go with antipop on this one.

Wifi is important to a lot of folks, if not the majority. Yes, you can get better through put with a gigabit cable than you can ever get with G rated wifi but when will you ever use it? When I had my first PS3, it was connected via my home Gigabit network but I never got above 5Mbit of usage and that was from me watching movies that were hosted on my Mac.

From a gaming prospective, it is a total wash whether you go wireless or copper. The vast majority of us don't have an internet connection that can take advantage of our internal LAN.

Another issue is distance from your cable/dsl/fibre modem. There are certainly a few folks out there that have their modem right next to their console but I'm betting that most folks are like me with a modem and router in another room. Most homes are not cabled and most people are not like me and able to wire up their entire home. Most people are going to do one of two things. Use wifi or get a longer cable. Wifi is obviously the better option.

on a side note: All this talk of networking has gotten me riled up. Here I am paying $60 a month 10Mbit cable modem connection that I put to FULL use. Meanwhile, my inlaws in BFE, Japan are paying $20 a month for a 1GIGABIT fibre connection to their house. They only use it for web surfing, email, and Skype. ALL ISPs in the US suck *****.

EDIT: BTW, the XBox 360's NIC port is only 10/100Mbit, the PS3 is Gigabit.

EDIT: BTW, the XBox 360's NIC port is only 10/100Mbit, the PS3 is Gigabit.

I'm willing to bet that hardly any of the consoles are hooked up to a router that's running gigabit :p

BTW, you can get this rebate and 15% from Dell and the price is around $200.

I can understand needing wireless, I'm using it on my 360 and my PS3 being upstairs and my roommate is running wired on his PS3 downstairs. Certainly not what I'd want but it's for the convenience. I still think it's rather pointless to argue about it. It should be planned whether or not it's really a necessity before purchasing :idunno:

I'm willing to bet that hardly any of the consoles are hooked up to a router that's running gigabit :p

BTW, you can get this rebate and 15% from Dell and the price is around $200.

I can understand needing wireless, I'm using it on my 360 and my PS3 being upstairs and my roommate is running wired on his PS3 downstairs. Certainly not what I'd want but it's for the convenience. I still think it's rather pointless to argue about it. It should be planned whether or not it's really a necessity before purchasing :idunno:

Mine's Gbit... ;)

I didn't think about combining it with Dell. I don't know if they have any 15% off coupons for this week but you know they will be doing it at some point. Good call...

BTW, weren't you on the 360 bus a few weeks ago? I can't understand why you would switch to the Gheystation.

I never left. I love my 360. There are things both consoles do well. Why can't we all be friends. All I've ever tried to do is bring this board together.

[size=-4]*evil laugh*[/size]

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom