6 Games In Will Tell Us A Lot (1 Viewer)

shull

Rookie
Reaction score
I think everyone can get excited at the start of the season and that is great. What I have seen and come to realize is that when you get about 6 games into the season, that is where you start to see the cream rise to the top. By that time, most teams problems will become evident. Everyone will have played a tough game by then and we start to see the teams that are really strong. We will also see the teams that are faking it by playing weaker teams.

6 Games in is a good barameter for the end of the season, I think. We are far enough into the season, but not quite half way, to be able to judge who is really good and who isn't. Look at the Falcons. They were all the hype at the start of the season. Now, the "experts" are abondoning them by saying that they aren't there yet. If they had jsut waited a few more weeks, it would have been very obvious.

I wouldn't get caught up in the hype for any team, especially at the start of the year. It seems that most people base their opinions on last year's team and nearly all of them don't do any analysis.

That being said, I have a different feeling about this team than I have ever had for previous Saints teams. Something changed in the offseason and I think a lot of people felt it. We saw it in the Preseason, not by winning games, but by HOW the individuals played together as a team. We saw an attitude change.

I have poured a glass of the Kool-Aid, but I haven't had a sip yet. Let's wait until we are at least 6 games in and then hold a Kool-Aid and cheese party.

I wouldn't say the Falcons had any more "hype" than the Saints had. I haven't seen many people predict ATL to win the superbowl and i know Steve Young came out on TV and said NO is the best team in the NFL.

I don't think there was a significant difference in the amount of "hype" from ATL and NO. And what guys are abandoning the Falcons now? Because we lost to NE on the road? :idunno:

3 games in already tells you most of what you need to know.

80% of 3-0 teams make the playoffs.

I have poured a glass of the Kool-Aid, but I haven't had a sip yet. Let's wait until we are at least 6 games in and then hold a Kool-Aid and cheese party.

Go ahead... Take a sip. I did. Like yourself, I didn't want to get caught up in my own preseason euphoria like I had in 07 & 08 (and many more years for that matter). I wanted to wait until the half way point - 8 games - to see if what I saw in preseason was the real deal or just another false start.

A few things convinced me to drink the kool aid now:

The Lions game showed me that this was a good team because the Saints did to the Lions what good teams are supposed to do to a lesser opponent.

The Eagles game told me that this team had already matured beyond my expectations because of what our O did to Philly's vaunted defense in their own house.

The Bills game told me that after 43 years, I was finally looking at a complete Saints teams, something I had honestly never seen before, and a very strong-complete team at that.

When I saw Payton fire his good friend Gary Gibbs because he knew Gary wasn't getting it done as a coordinator, that impressed me. When I saw him bring in GW and make it personal by giving up some of his own $, that got my attention.

When I saw Payton back up his words about being more committed to the run this year, and then see that already paying dividends, well... I don't have to wait until after the 8th game to know that we have something special this year.

None of us know what the final outcome will be in 09'... But after 43 years of waiting for a team like this, I'll be damn if I'm not going to enjoy the ride all the way - JMHO

Didn't we start off 6-0 in 2001 and fail to make the playoffs.

This is a different team than that year and way more talented and also better coach so I don't see it happening but I was a little jaded by that team.

I wouldn't say the Falcons had any more "hype" than the Saints had.

You must not watch much ESPN / NFL Network. From Prior to the season starting and into the first two weeks of this season all the sports shows talked about was:

1) Tom Brady
2) Favre
3) Falcons
4) Cowboys

Yeah, pretty much in that order.....

kool-aid1.bmp

Mmmmm it feels good!

I hate 'em but the Falcons are for real and we will have 2, maybe 3, huge battles with them this year. Losing in Boston in no way discredits the quality team here in the ATL.

We are fortunate in that we get most of our tough games in NO, or in Sept rather than December. We have a great shot at home field throughout this season, and I think it will be special.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom