6 GOP Senators(Including Vitter) are Introducing an Amendment to Block Net Neutrality Policy (2 Viewers)

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Six Republican senators have introduced an amendment that would block the Federal Communications Commission from implementing its recently announced Net neutrality policy.

Texas Republican Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison introduced the amendment to an appropriations bill. It would prevent the FCC from getting funding for any initiative to uphold Net neutrality. According to The Hill, the co-sponsors are Sen. Sam Brownback (R-KS), Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC) Sen. John Ensign (R-NV), Sen. John Thune (R-SD) and Sen. David Vitter (R-LA).

The move appears to be an attempt to pre-empt the FCC's expected new policy to ensure that Internet service providers don't discriminate between different types of information on their networks.

On Monday, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski gave a speech in which he outlined the FCC's plan to enforce Net neutrality, a position President Barack Obama held during his campaign for president.

In recent years, concern has grown that some Internet service providers are slowing down "access to high speed Internet for things like Internet-based voice calls, video streaming, and legal file sharing (that carriers might wish to block or at least charge extra for)," writes Ian Paul at PCWorld magazine.

While Net neutrality is supported by Internet-reliant companies such as Google and Microsoft, it is opposed by major Internet service providers like AT&T, Comcast and Verizon. Those three have come out against Genachowski's plan, ChannelWeb reports.

http://rawstory.com/blog/2009/09/gop-senators-net-neutrality/

"In this struggling economy, any industry that is able to thrive should be allowed to do so without meddlesome government interference that could stifle innovation," Ensign said in a statement. "We must avoid burdensome government regulations that micromanage private businesses or that limit the ability of companies to provide what their customers want. The Internet has flourished in large part because of a lack of government interference; I see no need to change that now."

Access to services like Netflix on demand and Hulu stifles Time Warner Cables ability to creatively rape customers with crazy cable TV rates.

Ergo, they should be able to block them and/or throttle down your internet connection when you use them.

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely nothing innovative about making users wait longer to access the same content based on ISP. This is corporate interests speaking through congressional leaders, plain and simple. And im sure before all is said and done there will be plenty on both sides approving of this stupid amendment thanks to corporate dollar signs.

Last edited:
Also we ought not to forget the whole Google Voice fiasco on the iPhone (as an iphone owner it ****** me off). But hey, that's just AT&T/Apple using their innovation to screw over the customer by being anti-competitive.

It's really weird how one side can argue that de-regulation increases competition and innovation, yet propose bans on measures that would insure that companies had to become more competitive and innovative because they couldn't use anti-competitive manners to one-up their competition.

Ensuring a fair playing field is somehow detrimental to every company out there. We have anti-monopoly laws for a reason. One of them being that it insures that smaller companies can get their foot in the market place with innovative products without being stomped on by the giants.

Not to mention the telecom companies get government subsidies to build the infrastructure in the first place...

Last edited:
If you dont support net neutrality, 25 cent text messages will seem cheap compared to what Comcast, Cox, Time Warner, etc, will start charging for the internet.

If you download files, or play games online, or listen to music online, or watch Hulu or Netflix... basically anything other than look at plain-text websites, you would get hit with some SERIOUS up-charges. Bandwidth caps, and then a certain amount per mb over that will be put into effect. If you back this plan, you are saying "Yes Comcast, I want to get reamed by you for my internet service"

Ever gone over your minutes on a cellphone? Thats nothing compared to just how much over your bandwidth cap you can go if you do anything I mentioned

http://rawstory.com/blog/2009/09/gop-senators-net-neutrality/

Access to services like Netflix on demand and Hulu stifles Time Warner Cables ability to creatively rape customers with crazy cable TV rates.

Ergo, they should be able to block them and/or throttle down your internet connection when you use them.

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely nothing innovative about making users wait longer to access the same content based on ISP. This is corporate interests speaking through congressional leaders, plain and simple. And im sure before all is said and done there will be plenty on both sides approving of this stupid amendment thanks to corporate dollar signs.
Get on the phones.

Check donor lists, see who owns these guys.

Pure corporate welfare.

This is another way of trying to turn the Internet into just another TV network and marginalize anything but a corporate voice.

Get angry for a change.

Also we ought not to forget the whole Google Voice fiasco on the iPhone (as an iphone owner it ****** me off). But hey, that's just AT&T/Apple using their innovation to screw over the customer by being anti-competitive.

It's really weird how one side can argue that de-regulation increases competition and innovation, yet propose bans on measures that would insure that companies had to become more competitive and innovative because they couldn't use anti-competitive manners to one-up their competition.

Ensuring a fair playing field is somehow detrimental to every company out there. We have anti-monopoly laws for a reason. One of them being that it insures that smaller companies can get their foot in the market place with innovative products without being stomped on by the giants.

Not to mention the telecom companies get government subsidies to build the infrastructure in the first place...
Black is white, up is down.

If you dont support net neutrality, 25 cent text messages will seem cheap compared to what Comcast, Cox, Time Warner, etc, will start charging for the internet.

If you download files, or play games online, or listen to music online, or watch Hulu or Netflix... basically anything other than look at plain-text websites, you would get hit with some SERIOUS up-charges. Bandwidth caps, and then a certain amount per mb over that will be put into effect. If you back this plan, you are saying "Yes Comcast, I want to get reamed by you for my internet service"

Ever gone over your minutes on a cellphone? Thats nothing compared to just how much over your bandwidth cap you can go if you do anything I mentioned

There literally is no justification or rational defense for opposing net neutrality.

Last edited:
There literally is no justification or rational defense for opposing net neutrality.
Of course there is.

This goes into the coffers of those in Congress who toe the line of big media:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's the justification for the bill.

I agree.

Notably absent in this thread are the people who should be maddest about it,

Vocal anti-excessive-government-regulations republicans that often post on the EE.

Stand up for your priciples or simply be partisan.

There should be outrage over this in the republican party[and democratic], but because its going to be touted by these republicans as "good for business" (when really its good for thier reelction campaign funds) the partisan sheep on the right will continue lock step spending thier energy fighting democrats.

Instead of fighting bad legislation.

One thing I hate most about the republicans is most of the elected variety seem to have their head stuck up their rears when it comes to understanding technology.

I agree.

Notably absent in this thread are the people who should be maddest about it,

Vocal anti-excessive-government-regulations republicans that often post on the EE.

Stand up for your priciples or simply be partisan.

There should be outrage over this in the republican party[and democratic], but because its going to be touted by these republicans as "good for business" (when really its good for thier reelction campaign funds) the partisan sheep on the right will continue lock step spending thier energy fighting democrats.

Instead of fighting bad legislation.
This is a very good example of rich getting richer.

Big media and their lobbysists are working members of Congress. If they buy enought support and get their legislation supported, then those with the money to spend will be able to buy priority for their traffic on the net and limit the banwidth of other players.

Deeper pockets=preferntial access to the network.

Just more justification of why we need to get rid of lobbyists and ALL campaign contributions from businesses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom