62 yards 2 feet? (1 Viewer)

Boopa

The Scorpion
Reaction score
Ok couple of years ago I had a friend tell me the reason that Elam's field goal is given more credit as being the record, is because Tom Dempsey in 1970 merely kicked a 62 yards and 2 foot field goal. Meanwhile apparently Jason Elam's in 1998 was a full 63 yards. Apparently he contends that back then they just rounded off.

-B

:scratch:
Ok couple of years ago I had a friend tell me the reason that Elam's field goal is given more credit as being the record, is because Tom Dempsey in 1970 merely kicked a 62 yards and 2 foot field goal. Meanwhile apparently Jason Elam's in 1998 was a full 63 yards. Apparently he contends that back then they just rounded off.

-B
Tom Dempsey kicked his in the high humidity of Nawlins. Jason Elam kicked his in the mile high stadium in Denver. :scratch:

Not to mention the fact Dempsey had half a foot to do it.

-B

Apparently John Madden and Guiness like Elam for some reason. His name is on the games as the record holder. His picture is the one in the book. Dempsey is just mentioned as also doing it in the article.

-B

Last edited:
If Dempsey kicked it in Denver, it probably would have went around 65 yards.

It was announced as a 62 yard attempt during the radio broadcast. It was later adjusted to 63 yards by the NFL in the record books.

I remember listening to that game, and just as the kick left Dempsey's half-foot, bees flew into WWL's transmitter and the signal went intermittent. "the kick is up...it's...it's...static...crowd noise...static...announcer (Al Wester?) screaming, and more breakup. It took a minute before we realized he'd actually made the kick.

Dempsey's kick is New Orleans' Woodstock; half the city will tell you they were there.

Actually, I think they round down.

If it ain't 63 yards, its only 62 yards. If the ball was between the 37 and the 38, it was only 62 yards. Since it was 63 yards, the ball would have to have been between the 37 and the 36.

That's a long way.

My ex-stepdad said he was listening and at the moment the kick went through the radio broadcast went out. I know it was 63, I just thought it was crazy that my friend(a huge Broncos fan by the way) tried to down play Dempsey's by saying it was actually shorter. I knew he crazy.

-B

Thinking back, the reason they adjusted it from 62 to 63 was because Scarpatti moved back an extra yard from scrimmage--eight instead of seven.

I don't have my editing software on this computer to post a screen grab, but if you look on YouTube you can see he set the ball just over the 37 yard line, so it is really 62 yards, two feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrxTjgFYoU8 wait--I did it.

Attachments

• dempsey.jpg
    dempsey.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:
I remember Morton missing a 70 yarder back around '84.....missed it 5 yards to the left. Would've forced OT vs Tampa.

The ball wasn't on the 37 or 38. The goal posts were on the goalline at that time, not ten yards deep in the back of the endzone.

Kaare Johnson tells a story about how he tried to take home the piece of turf where Dempsey made his kick. He grabbed a piece of turf when they were closing down the stadium. Took it home, nursed it, etc.

He brought home the wrong piece though. He forgot the goal post used to be located on the goalline.

Now I'm thinking about something and crackin myself up. Imagine Jim Henderson making that call. I mean as crazy as he went when Hakim muffed the punt, when we blocked the punt, I mean a record setting game winning 63 yard field goal? Dude would be hoarse from yelling so much. Hell if we do go to the Super Bowl and like for the win Sharper has a pick 6!! My god Henderson would be going effing nuts. I can almost hear him in my head right now.

-B

I know that Saints fans don't want to hear this, but in reality Jason Elam's kick was slightly longer than Dempsey's.
The videos don't lie. Dempsey had the ball placed down just inside of 63 yards, while Elam's spot was dead on the 63 yard distance.

That being said, Jason's kick traveled through MUCH thinner air than we have in south Louisiana, so Tom's kick was even more outstanding!

I'm glad that Dempsey still has the recognition of having part of the record longest successful kick! :9:

I'm sure a guy like Janikowski may change the record some day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom