62 yards 2 feet? (1 Viewer)

Everyone knows Gus from the Atoms holds the longest field goal. 85 yarders !!!

The ball wasn't on the 37 or 38. The goal posts were on the goalline at that time, not ten yards deep in the back of the endzone.

Kaare Johnson tells a story about how he tried to take home the piece of turf where Dempsey made his kick. He grabbed a piece of turf when they were closing down the stadium. Took it home, nursed it, etc.

He brought home the wrong piece though. He forgot the goal post used to be located on the goalline.
When Tulane stadium was closed, It had artificial turf in it.....so you may want to get the facts on that story....Obviously, when Dempsey made the kick, it was on grass....

Last edited:
While Elam's shot may have been 1/4 inch longer, it really wasn't worth much in the final analysis. It was a great accomplishment, but some have already said, it didn't have that same tension and feeling of disbelief that many probably felt when they saw Dempsey trot out on the field. In fact my Mom, who was attending that game(No I'm not making that up, she shown me a ticket stub of that very game) was in the parking lot about to leave Tulane Stadium when the miracle happened. Then as she was getting into the car, she heard a huge roar behind her coming from the stadium, and she later told she saw scores of people getting our their cars and going completely crazy. She asked a guy WTH was going on and it was then that she sound out. Many historical moments have occurred , good or bad, from a certain tension and stunned disbelief that shakes everyone who either sees it or a "collective witness consciousness" it was such a random type event, that in an NFL historical context, it can hardly be topped or ever forgotten. The Immaculate Reception is one such example, The Drive may be another, the catch phrase "Hail Mary" pass in 1975 from Staubach to Drew Pearson to win it is certainly a good example too.

The tension, the moment, maybe the play itself, is a time capsule. It's becomes like Woodstock was, the symbol of a certain generation at its peak. Or countless other ways from numerous people in different places

I got a demsey question I read once that Demsey was a LB in college. Is that true and if so does anyone know what happened that caused him to lose his foot and half a arm.

I mean the thing I say is this whoever accomplished the record first is the owner of it till its broken. For example Brees throws for 50 tds while being a heck on an accomplishment, it only ties Brady. Only Brady's name should be in the record books. Though I guees a field goal is a little different. I can see you saying the record for a longest field goal in NFL history is 63 yards done first by Tom Dempsey of the New Orleans Saints and tied by Jason Elam of the Broncos in 1998. Somehow though it wouldn't fit when talking about TD passes in a season. I just want the Saints to have the record and some kind of reconignition. It just seemed to me that when Elam tied it and was playing for a team that was not the Saints it was seized on that the record could no longer be ours. If I'm not wrong only NFL records we own is longest field goal and most completions in a season. Anyone know of anymore?

-B

The ball wasn't on the 37 or 38. The goal posts were on the goalline at that time, not ten yards deep in the back of the endzone.

Kaare Johnson tells a story about how he tried to take home the piece of turf where Dempsey made his kick. He grabbed a piece of turf when they were closing down the stadium. Took it home, nursed it, etc.

He brought home the wrong piece though. He forgot the goal post used to be located on the goalline.

Okay, so by your assessment, where was the ball?

To me, 62 yards 2 feet isn't nearly as impressive as 62 yards with only one foot.

Dempsey's kick is New Orleans' Woodstock; half the city will tell you they were there.

I was there ... for the game. We left at the end of the third quarter. He kicked it as we pulled up to home.

That is the reason I don't leave games until the clock reads 0:00, no matter what the score.

I mean the thing I say is this whoever accomplished the record first is the owner of it till its broken. For example Brees throws for 50 tds while being a heck on an accomplishment, it only ties Brady. Only Brady's name should be in the record books. Though I guees a field goal is a little different. I can see you saying the record for a longest field goal in NFL history is 63 yards done first by Tom Dempsey of the New Orleans Saints and tied by Jason Elam of the Broncos in 1998. Somehow though it wouldn't fit when talking about TD passes in a season. I just want the Saints to have the record and some kind of reconignition. It just seemed to me that when Elam tied it and was playing for a team that was not the Saints it was seized on that the record could no longer be ours. If I'm not wrong only NFL records we own is longest field goal and most completions in a season. Anyone know of anymore?

-B

It's officially a shared record right now.

It's officially a shared record right now.

See this is what I think is wrong. Dempsey did it first. In my opinion the record is his and the New Orleans Saints. Until Jason Elam or anyone else hits 64 or 65 yard field goal they shouldn't have any part of the record.

-B

Ok I'm not questioning the NFL on who they think the record holder is anymore. I was just watching NFL Network and a Miller Lite commercial came on. Now lately they've been having the radio broadcasts on famous or record breaking playins playing as what the feeling is like when getting a Miller Lite. Well this commercial had the radio call of Dempsey's field goal kick. Now thats what I'm talking about. Giving credit where credit is due.

-B

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom