63 yards was the combined length of the Bucs' 3 TD drives set up by our turnovers. (1 Viewer)

Watch a slo-mo replay of the pick where he was the intended receiver. Brees threw into coverage and way behind him. He reached back to try to catch it but it was next to impossible for anyone to make that catch cuz even if he'd been standing still it woulda been behind him and his momentum was pulling him even further away from it.

The fumble? 100% his fault. It's astonishing that he's lasted this long in the NFL being that dumb of a ball carrier. He was carrying that thing a good foot and a half outside of his body at one point. He's either dumb as fork or just trying to find a way off of the team and hoping to land elsewhere. It just doesn't make any sense.
Doesn't make sense that they hadn't benched him or severely limited his role, like just do not go to him on 3rd downs, Red Zone, key situations because he is a walking disaster risk.

Every time Cook caught a ball I'd hold my breath. I've never seen someone look like they were about to fumble more than Cook. Something about the way he's built and the way he carries the ball, he's just awkward. He has really hurt us in some big spots. I think it's time to move on.
Think?

Ar this point he is who he is and he was terrible this year. And poor, lackadaisical attitude.

Is scoring 21 points off of 3 turnovers not problematic? Is not getting any turnovers problematic? Not saying they were bad, but the defense had their share of issues last night. It just felt like Anzalone was constantly out of position and we gave up some pretty big chunks in the run game. The defense didn't exactly have a great game.

That said, the offense bears the brunt of the responsibility for the loss. 4 turnovers and several dropped passes plus the run game never really got going.

Payton got outcoached this time also. It was a total team loss.

I think the defensive line should have played better but this loss is squarely on the offense. No one is talking about SP and the offensive coaching staff but they have to take a ton of blame here. The last few years it is apparent to me that they can't properly motivate and game plan well for the playoffs. At this point I think SP is a better coach without Brees, but I'm not sure he will ever really rely on this team's strength (the running game) when it really counts....

SP will always be my favorite Saints coach but for the 1st time I seriously think he may be the problem, I'm just tired of him and his pass happy BS. All the regular season wins and division championships mean nothing to me if you can't win in the playoffs....I don't think anyone can deny our offense totally wilts in the playoffs....with the talent we have it just doesn't make sense....

I think the defensive line should have played better but this loss is squarely on the offense. No one is talking about SP and the offensive coaching staff but they have to take a ton of blame here. The last few years it is apparent to me that they can't properly motivate and game plan well for the playoffs. At this point I think SP is a better coach without Brees, but I'm not sure he will ever really rely on this team's strength (the running game) when it really counts....

SP will always be my favorite Saints coach but for the 1st time I seriously think he may be the problem, I'm just tired of him and his pass happy BS. All the regular season wins and division championships mean nothing to me if you can't win in the playoffs....I don't think anyone can deny our offense totally wilts in the playoffs....with the talent we have it just doesn't make sense....
The bigger concern is the flatness, lack of intensity in recent years in the playoffs. There just wasn't much fire, if any.

He is definitely handcuffed with 42 year old Drew but also I don't get his running attack. In the 3rd quarter it was clicking, right up to the Cook fumble. On the next drive he stuck with the run but He got away from Kamara and worked in Washington and Montgomery and it got less effective from there. Once we went down by 3 points Payton also called successive running plays when I thought he would go pass pass but got stuffed. Once he got away from Kamara we couldn't get the run re-established so I am curious as to why....?

Last edited:
The bigger concern is the flatness, lack of intensity in recent years in the playoffs. There just wasn't much fire, if any.

He is definitely handcuffed with 42 year old Drew but also I don't get his running attack. In the 3rd quarter it was clicking, right up to the Cook fumble. On the next drive he stuck with the run but He got away from Kamara and worked in Washington and Montgomery and it got less effective from there. Once we went down by 3 points Payton also called successive running plays when I thought he would go pass pass but got stuffed. Once he got away from Kamara we couldn't get the run re-established so I am curious as to why....

I agree on the flatness and fire, and to me that is a failure of leadership. I'm still frustrated but for the first time I feel SP could move on also and it wouldn't bother me so much....

The fumble? 100% his fault. It's astonishing that he's lasted this long in the NFL being that dumb of a ball carrier. He was carrying that thing a good foot and a half outside of his body at one point. He's either dumb as fork or just trying to find a way off of the team and hoping to land elsewhere. It just doesn't make any sense.

This is the infuriating thing to me... how do you get to the NFL and still do these kinds of things! I would not be AS mad if it were a speedy receiver who is accelerating away from a defender. But a lumbering TE carelessly carrying the ball with no regard for security.

to me, that not a physical error, that’s a mental error! And, he’s done this type of stuff his entire career! Inconsistent! Inconsistent route running, inconsistent security, inconsistent effort, blocking... He has size and some athleticism and that makes him a coach killer! Now, he’s a fan killer too.

(added...) I see a reaction is “laughing face” 😂 yes! I’m tore up about that. 😂 I was tore up before I realized it was the single biggest turning point moment in the game... every time the ball goes to him I cringe. 😂🤣😂 Mad about it!

Last edited:
I agree on the flatness and fire, and to me that is a failure of leadership. I'm still frustrated but for the first time I feel SP could move on also and it wouldn't bother me so much....
More or less feel the same.

Something is always missing in the playoffs. Another theme I see over the 14 years is he just doesn't know how to put teams together with a consistent physical, nasty streak that can close or always beat the teams they are supposed to beat. Regularly scheduled eggs laid against bad teams.

Maybe it's something in the kind of players he chooses for his system that negates the physical dominance part, or maybe it's just too much emphasis on chess and 'genius' and scheme as opposed to just lining up and dominating the guy over you. The overthinking.

But have to see him a full season without Brees. He was a different, better coach and game planner without Brees. Maybe that translates to the playoffs eventually.

Dunno....

But if you are a long term Saints fan people think consistently winning records and qualifying for the playoffs will be enough. They won't see a need to change the philosophy for fear of the unknown and remembrance of the past..

Last edited:
More or less feel the same.

Something is always missing in the playoffs. Another theme I see over the 14 years is he just doesn't know how to put teams together with a consistent physical, nasty streak that can close or always beat the teams they are supposed to beat. Regularly scheduled eggs laid against bad teams.

Maybe it's something in the kind of players he chooses for his system that negates the physical dominance part, or maybe it's just too much emphasis on chess and 'genius' and scheme as opposed to just lining up and dominating the guy over you. The overthinking.

But have to see him a full season without Brees. He was a different, better coach and game planner without Brees. Maybe that translates to the playoffs eventually.

Dunno....

But if you are a long term Saints fan people consistently winning records and qualifying for the playoffs will be enough. They won't see a need to change the philosophy for fear of the unknown.

Great take and I agree....Except for this long term Saints fan it is no longer enough....

3, 40, and 20 yards were the lengths of those three drives. Brees could've just gotten sacked and had us punting and we probably walk out with a 2-possession victory .
Turnovers always kill you and it is practically impossible to win against a good team with the stakes as high as they were coughing it up as much as we did last night. I would say these turnovers were especially damaging since the Patriots - excuse me - the Bucs weren’t doing anything spectacular on offense without our making things easy on them.

That said I do think the Saints did a decent job of not freaking out and keeping the game close. A lot of teams would have just imploded and got blown out.

All and all the turnovers were disastrous. :sick:

Is scoring 21 points off of 3 turnovers not problematic? Is not getting any turnovers problematic?

The fact that the defense had to defend after 3 turnovers is THE problem. Whether they should have held TB to 3 FGs shouldn't even be in the discussion. You don't turn the ball over in the playoffs that's a recipe for disaster.

So many bad things happened these last two years when we threw in his direction. We kept doing it; however, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

The Cook fumble was the back-breaker in hindsight. We were in trouble at 10-6 but rallied back to go up 20-13. It felt like we might've gotten over the play-off struggles hump and that going up 27-13 late in the third quarter might be enough. But that fumble took all the air out of the building and allowed those bad vibes to creep back in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom