7-10 Split (1 Viewer)

Does anyone have stats on how many times pros are left with 7-10? I imagine there aren't many opportunities for them to pick it up in the first place.

I've picked it up twice in my lifetime, once by sheer luck (was only going after 10, turned after I was on target and my group went nuts and told me 10 bounced over and hit 7) and a second time intentionally (basically the right handed version of the video above). I picked my spot and hit it exactly how I intended. 7 bounced over and got 10 down. Was that luck? Probably, but hitting your target isn't.

Meh,

The only differences between the way that guy does it and the way I do it are:

1. He's on TV
2. He takes the shorter (easier) option of throwing down hos own lane at the pis closest to him, whipe I don't restrict myself and throw at the more difficult pins on other lanes.

I'm not sure what hos pising close to him has to do with picking up a 7-10 split, but it sounds unsanitary.

I suck so bad at bowling. How in the hell do I still get gutter balls with the side bumpers up? :shrug:

First, make sure the kiddie rack is in the lane you plan to use with the bumper rails deployed. Next, take the kiddie rack and position it so that when the ball is pushed, it will roll down towards the pins IN YOUR LANE, and NOT the seating area. That should fix the problem, though not completely guaranteed.

I miss bowling

Years ago my coworkers and I made a team in a league at Don Carters. We were pretty damned good...easily one of the 3 best teams. Things went downhill when other teams figured out that all they had to do was get there early and buy us booze in top of what we got for ourselves. Things would get pretty rough by the third game not that we really cared by that point

I don't know exactly how pin-point accurate pro bowlers are. Nevertheless ... it's interesting to see the varying strategies to convert a 7-10. Some bowlers try to mash a pin head on and get it to bounce off the back of the "pit" (unsure of bowling terminology here). Others try to shave the side of one of the pins and hope for a bounce off of the side of the "pit".

My dad was a league bowler when I was a kid. He told me the best way to pick up a split is crush one pin and hope it bounces out of the pit and takes the other one down. The 4-6 split is also a very difficult shot as well.

Are you saying it's luck when pros do it too? This guy is definitely a pro, I wouldn't call that luck.

It's luck regardless. But, more skilled players will of course convert a higher percentage, but the conversion percentage for pros is still ridiculously small.

I was a collegiate bowler and I bowled a lot. I can count on one hand the number of converted 7-10 splits out of probably thousands of opportunities. Ball velocity is more important than precise placement on that shot. I came really close once. The pin ricocheted off the right side, and flew across the lane in front of the pin. That was soul crushing, lol.

Last edited:
It's luck regardless. But, more skilled players will of course convert a higher percentage, but the conversion percentage for pros is still ridiculously small.

I was a collegiate bowler and I bowled a lot. I can count on one hand the number of converted 7-10 splits out of probably thousands of opportunities. Ball velocity is more important than precise placement on that shot. I came really close once. The pin ricocheted off the right side, and flee across the lane in front of the pin. That was soul crushing, lol.

I mentioned earlier my dad was a league bowler for many years. He said he only saw it once.

I remember reading the following statement years ago. A golfer has a better chance of hitting a hole in one than a bowler has picking up the 7-10 split.

I mentioned earlier my dad was a league bowler for many years. He said he only saw it once.

I remember reading the following statement years ago. A golfer has a better chance of hitting a hole in one than a bowler has picking up the 7-10 split.

Yeah, I can see that. 7-10 conversions are stupid rare. Hole in ones you probably see several times in a season. In pro bowling you might see a conversion once or twice throughout a season.

One time I came within 3 feet of a hole in one.

About 5 feet for me.

I got one, but it was the luckiest shot in history. It was a 230 yd par three at a local course. I just slammed it down the middle. It started to break at the same point as the dog curve. My group saw it landing near the green. When we found it ,it was in the cup :)

While we're on golf ... any of you golf guys ever see or score a double eagle (2 strokes on a par 5, hole-in-one on a par 4)?

While we're on golf ... any of you golf guys ever see or score a double eagle (2 strokes on a par 5, hole-in-one on a par 4)?

I never have, but seen many by pro golfers. The most famous one was by Gene Sarazen at the 35 Masters. His double eagle on 15 followed by a birdie on 16, erased a 3 shot deficit. He later went on to win in a playoff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom