7 Pro Bowl Linebackers in a game (92 Saints Bills) (1 Viewer)

The thing I’ll always remember about the 92’ squad was that stretch late in the season where they played 3 games in a span of 11 days and went 3-0.

They beat the defending champ Skins, a decent Miami squad and the Falcons.

I was there for the Falcons game, on a Thursday night back when TNF games only came around once or twice a season. My aunt scored tickets from her boss, I think. Saw Ironhead truck Scott Case like a bowling ball on a strike :) Offense bogged down all night and Andersen kicked five field goals. Toi Cook scored on a pick-six to ice it.

Ah, yes. The game where Lonzell Hill had a TD taken away because he might've juggled the ball too much on his way out of the back of the end zone. Notice I said, "might've," given the judgment call that instant replay was at its outset.

I'd much rather watch the 1987 Giants game, when we parlayed several, several Giants turnovers into a victory. Interesting note, Phil Simms played in neither contest due to injury. Jeff Rutledge played in one, and then Jeff Hostetler the other. I don't think Simms was too much better than Hebert, ability-wise, but he sure had better receivers to throw to. (Manuel, Baker, Bavaro, Mark Ingram's dad, others)

LT was also hurt in both games. He was pulled after just one or two series in the '87 game, then played a memorably (for Giants fans) heroic game while injured in the '88 game.

As for "late season record," I'm not sure you realize we were only 1-3 down the stretch in 1988 after starting 7-1, and then were 9-3 after the awesome 42-0 beatdown of Denver. All the good teams were backloaded into the second half of the season. Only win in December was in the final week over the Failclowns, but we'd just about lost all the tiebreakers anyway at that point.
Was definitely frustrating to limp into a 10-6 record and lose a three-way tiebreaker with the Rams and Niners. Especially since that Niners team went on to win the Super Bowl and was probably one of the least special Niners teams of that era.

I’ve watched most of the games from the 88’ season on YouTube and it was definitely clear to see that there was much softer path in the first 8 weeks of that season than the last 8. Of that 7-1 start, I think only 1 win was against a team with a winning record (Seahawks, which they barely squeaked out).

The Niners manhandled them in a game that was basically for the division lead. The Vikings absolutely annihilated them in what was supposed to be the anticipated rematch of the Wild Card beat down from the year prior.

Basically, when they needed to show up against a good team, they got pretty easily dispatched.

Couldn't help but notice the refs cheated the Saints out of points on Kelly's intentional grounding. Would've been a different game if the Saints only needed a field goal to win. The more things change the more they stay the same. Not to mention they would've gotten the ball back.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom