7 Pro Bowl Linebackers in a game (92 Saints Bills) (1 Viewer)

Ah, yes. I still remember it well. We beat a few other quality opponents at home that year, like Washington and Miami (back when those franchises were good), but not Buffalo. The Carl Smith offense's glaring lack of playmakers was the difference here.

You think a Payton/Brees offense would fail to get the ball into scoring range down 20-16 late in the game? I think not!

Ah, yes. I still remember it well. We beat a few other quality opponents at home that year, like Washington and Miami (back when those franchises were good), but not Buffalo. The Carl Smith offense's glaring lack of playmakers was the difference here.

You think a Payton/Brees offense would fail to get the ball into scoring range down 20-16 late in the game? I think not!
It also did not help that Buford Jordan Krumbled (kick return fumble) after Bills go ahead TD.

It also did not help that Buford Jordan Krumbled (kick return fumble) after Bills go ahead TD.
I just noticed that he recovered a kick return fumble in the first quarter...doh

Bad flashbacks of the Jim Mora offensive philosophy.....dominate halves and kick field goals.....give up late touchdown to go down 7-6 at half time.....3rd and 12?.....handoff to RB off-tackle.....gonna pass it?....wow, slant pattern!

Had to settle for one too many field goals against that potent offense that day. I could also type the same thing about both losses to the 49ers that year.
20-7...at least that score got avenged later in Philly

Say what you want about Hebert's legacy under center in the black and gold.....but he had better receivers in college and in the USFL than he did with the Saints. Mark Duper and Anthony Carter, to name the ones most would remember. Both went on to steady success in the NFL, too.

Say what you want about Hebert's legacy under center in the black and gold.....but he had better receivers in college and in the USFL than he did with the Saints. Mark Duper and Anthony Carter, to name the ones most would remember. Both went on to steady success in the NFL, too.
I read or saw something about him trying to get Anthony Carter to the Saints before or during his holdout. Imagine that without the Steve Walsh trade.

I read or saw something about him trying to get Anthony Carter to the Saints before or during his holdout. Imagine that without the Steve Walsh trade.

They had something close to a Carter clone, ability-wise, in Brett Perriman. They wasted him, though, and he went to Detroit (I think via "Plan B" free agency) and set records in a rather prolific offense with Scott Mitchell and Herman Moore.... and Barry Sanders in the backfield.

They had something close to a Carter clone, ability-wise, in Brett Perriman. They wasted him, though, and he went to Detroit (I think via "Plan B" free agency) and set records in a rather prolific offense with Scott Mitchell and Herman Moore.... and Barry Sanders in the backfield.
Did they waste him, or develop him and lost him? I remember a picture of Eric Wright intercepting over his head where it looked like his eyes were closed.

Did they waste him, or develop him and lost him? I remember a picture of Eric Wright intercepting over his head where it looked like his eyes were closed.

No, the Mora/Smith years and much of Finks' time as GM weren't really about player development. They thought if players worked out hard enough, they could overcome a lack of natural speed. Doesn't happen!

I'm not usually someone who touts analytics, but in this case, Perriman's Detroit numbers from '91 to '96 speak for themselves -- 428 catches, 5,244 yards, 25 TDs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom