7 straight preseason losses (1 Viewer)

SaintsNY

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Maybe its no big deal but I feel like nobody likes to lose even if it's a meaningless game. I would love for them to have a solid preseason that carries over into the regular season.

I missed tonight's game. Was there anything good from the first team?

They went down 14-0 with the first team in. Pit moved the ball at will. NO opened with their traditional 3 and out.

It was downhill from there. Don't ask about the offensive line. We don't know how they performed because they didn't show up.

They went down 14-0 with the first team in. Pit moved the ball at will. NO opened with their traditional 3 and out.

It was downhill from there. Don't ask about the offensive line. We don't know how they performed because they didn't show up.

We'll. That's not a good sign...at all.

It's not a good look...but it also does not matter. Wasn't there a year where an entire only won a single game between it that preseason?

You want to win every game, sure. But, if you're concerned about our offensive line, our young corners, our kicking game, etc. I can accept that.

How many preseason games in a row we lose doesn't matter to me.

Maybe its no big deal but I feel like nobody likes to lose even if it's a meaningless game. I would love for them to have a solid preseason that carries over into the regular season.

I missed tonight's game. Was there anything good from the first team?

Let me see:aargh:, there were many 3 and outs, oh yes we barely made a TD with Bress, other than that, it was business as usual (struggling to put points on the board and stopping the other side from scoring).

Ben basically went no huddle and just picked apart the rookie CB's twice then sat down.
No pass rush to speak of.
The o-line has so many issues i have run out of swear words.

Was there anything good from the first team?

Peat was much improved.

Once we started blitzing after the Steelers first two drives, we forced some punts and got pressure. It's clear we are going to have to blitz to be successful (like under GW), so there's at least an argument to be made that when we start blitzing 30% of the time in a real game, things will look better.

Breaux was lockdown as usual. It was actually Harris (who we must of been testing at RCB) who got eaten up so badly in those first two drives. Crawley seems like a much better fit as the nickel.

The run blocking wasn't great, but it was improved.

The main pressure point on the OL this week was LT. Tony Hills was getting beaten badly.

Brees is still an absolute freak. Some of the passes he got off under pressure were just nuts.

Michael Thomas caught a really nice post from McCown (Brees was out, but rest of 1st team was out there, including Steelers 1st team D).

Morestead is in mid-season form.

Spiller looked really fast on kickoffs, caught a few impressive passes, and he was our best runner.

Tommy Lee Lewis looked great with the 1s and later in the game on an awesome TD.

Snead may be our best WR. Not just his circus TD catch, but he also made several other big plays.

Brees was able to step up behind Unger several times when Hills let pressure through. So he's playing well.

-------------------------------------------------------

That's the positives I saw out of the 1st team.

Everyone is going to tell you there was nothing positive last night. I get why. We didn't play well overall. But there were some good things. Whether we can put all this together in an actual game? Heck if I know.

Peat was much improved.

Once we started blitzing after the Steelers first two drives, we forced some punts and got pressure. It's clear we are going to have to blitz to be successful (like under GW), so there's at least an argument to be made that when we start blitzing 30% of the time in a real game, things will look better.

Breaux was lockdown as usual. PJ gave up one pass that I saw early on. It was actually Harris (who we must of been testing at nickel) who got eaten up so badly in those first two drives. Crawley seems like a much better fit in that role.

The run blocking wasn't great, but it was improved.

The main pressure point on the OL this week was LT. Tony Hills was getting beaten badly.

Brees is still an absolute freak. Some of the passes he got off under pressure were just nuts.

Michael Thomas caught a really nice post from McCown (Brees was out, but rest of 1st team was out there, including Steelers 1st team D).

Morestead is in mid-season form.

Spiller looked really fast on kickoffs, caught a few impressive passes, and he was our best runner.

Tommy Lee Lewis looked great with the 1s and later in the game on an awesome TD.

Snead may be our best WR. Not just his circus TD catch, but he also made several other big plays.

Brees was able to step up behind Unger several times when Hills let pressure through. So he's playing well.

-------------------------------------------------------

That's the positives I saw out of the 1st team.

Everyone is going to tell you there was nothing positive last night. I get why. We didn't play well overall. But there were some good things. Whether we can put all this together in an actual game? Heck if I know.

I agree with this assessment. That's pretty much what I saw last night.

We played a talented team with an exceptional offense. Big Ben is lethal when you don't pressure him and we were unable to generate pressure with our front four. Ben and Landry both had several seconds to survey the field and find the open receivers. Our young dbs just couldn't hold up -- but I doubt Richard Sherman could have covered his guy that long.

As mentioned, this defense is going to live and die by the blitz much like we did under Gregg Williams. The hope is that the young Dbs can survive on an island when our safeties are blitzing. I'm hopeful. Mostly because we have much better talent at linebacker and in the secondary and they will improve and gel.

The o line is troublesome. I agree that we need to get Turner on the field somehow with the 1s.

Do we look like a contender? Not at this point.

Will that change? Possibly. We just have to keep working to find the best combination of guys.

Harris was covering Brown on all his catches. I think he was also in coverage on that long pass to Wheaton.

So with that said, is Harris really going to start on the outside in the regular season? I'd say he's the 4th or 5th CB. I'm not saying to delude yourself that everything is ok, but take into account that Harris getting drubbed may not be indicative of the starting defense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom