7 year old girl murdered in Houston (2 Viewers)

You don't get it...?

The black community was outraged when they thought it was a white guy that did it, where's all the outrage when it's black on black crimes...? You actually think these protest will keep up in their community... If it does, I will be shocked...

Guido is right. You don’t really know how the leaders of the community will react, yet you are disparaging them before the fact. Even to the point of using quotes to amplify your obvious disgust.

Flip the script (pun intended). Imagine it was a 7year old white girl killed by a black man in a suspected racially motivated incident, and they later figured out the killer was a white man, and it was a case of mistaken identity. Don’t you imagine the outrage from the white community might die down just a bit? Yes or no?

i don't get why you would do that
y'all could dunk on all the SJW's who raced in to play the race card and then you turn right around and play the race card

as has been pointed out a bazillionteen times, community programs talk about crime in their communities all of the time --- that you and others don't know this or ignore it is not the fault of 'black leaders'

I realize they "talk" about the crime in their communities, but I'm referring to the major protest that seem to generate thousands in the streets when it comes to crimes involving someone of another race...

Guido is right. You don’t really know how the leaders of the community will react, yet you are disparaging them before the fact. Even to the point of using quotes to amplify your obvious disgust.

Flip the script (pun intended). Imagine it was a 7year old white girl killed by a black man in a suspected racially motivated incident, and they later figured out the killer was a white man, and it was a case of mistaken identity. Don’t you imagine the outrage from the white community might die down just a bit? Yes or no?

Tawana Brawley ring a bell...? How bout the Duke laCrosse case...?

I realize they "talk" about the crime in their communities, but I'm referring to the major protest that seem to generate thousands in the streets when it comes to crimes involving someone of another race...

Why are you using quotes in the way you are?

And what is your main point? Everyone should be outraged by racially motivated crimes. All of them.

Tawana Brawley ring a bell...? How bout the Duke laCrosse case...?

What exactly do these have to do with this case? You could answer my question, what if the races involved were reversed, do you think there would have been heightened anger, and that it might die down when it turned out to be mistaken identity.

I mentioned in the other thread about generalizing and stereotyping entire groups of people.

Oh, okay.

I don't really feel compelled to argue against the strawmen you built, you can play with those yourself. I thought my use of the term "Islamists" made it clear I was not speaking of those Muslims who may want to live peacefully and demonstrate some tolerance and respect for human rights.

I think you are probably correct that living in Toronto does not give one the perspective of living in a state where Islam rules the day. I have seen first hand the tyranny of nations heavily influenced by Islam. It leaves an impression that anyone who cares about other humans is not likely to forget. You can wish away such wickedness if you like, but I will not have any part of that.

Of course I’m talking about Shaun King

I think Shaun King can do, and has done, more damage than he helps and I don't really consider him someone I look to as 'media'. But in this case, his social media presence and public calls for tips led to a tip that led to the arrest, a tip that Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said moved them in a direction *other than* a 'white man in his 40s driving a red pickup'

A tip from activist Shaun King led police to a suspect in the killing of Jazmine Barnes

On Wednesday evening King had tweeted he had combed through hundreds of tips. "Mostly garbage," he said. "All well meaning. 3-4 helpful. Working with the family and local authorities. Some promising leads, but not nearly enough."

Gonzalez said Sunday that one of King's tips "provided a much different angle to what we were initially looking at," alluding to the fact authorities initially said the suspect was a white man in his 40s driving a red pickup truck. Black is a 20-year-old African-American man. The white man in the red truck was likely just a witness, the sheriff told reporters.

and the Sheriff thanked him personally for his role in the arrest:

"I want to thank again Shaun King for his activism and help and raising awareness and the monies that were put forward to be able to generate those calls," Gonzalez said.

I have no problem with someone being critical or skeptical of King, but I think he should get some credit here for the part he played.

I think Shaun King generally does mean well, and wants to be helpful. He doesn’t always achieve that goal, but here it does look like he was able to rise above stereotypes and be of genuine service.

I think Shaun King can do, and has done, more damage than he helps and I don't really consider him someone I look to as 'media'. But in this case, his social media presence and public calls for tips led to a tip that led to the arrest, a tip that Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said moved them in a direction *other than* a 'white man in his 40s driving a red pickup'

A tip from activist Shaun King led police to a suspect in the killing of Jazmine Barnes

and the Sheriff thanked him personally for his role in the arrest:

I have no problem with someone being critical or skeptical of King, but I think he should get some credit here for the part he played.

I can respect that. He’s a tool otherwise.

Talcum X lol. I can't believe anyone listens to that dude.

But....muh narrative :(

Maybe this is an opportunity for self-reflection for some people. Maybe we can openly wonder why the media pushed this story, and why it is currently the hottest thread on the EE. I mean there were 280 murders in Houston last year. How many did you hear about? How many were a popular topic of discussion on the EE? But oh man, white guy in a red pickup truck murders a little black girl in Texas. That's juicy, I gotta admit. I know that was some tasty bait for several people on the EE.

RIP to the little girl, who we never would have heard about if it wasn't reported that the murderer was a white man.

Why does the revelation of who actually committed this murder garner this response? Are some of you really this sensitive to any story that may contain an issue of race?

From what I know of the case, everything that you would hope would happen after a murder like this is what has actually happened. First I'll just stipulate that "Yes", this absolutely became a larger national story because of the apparent possibility (early on) that this my have been an anonymous hate crime. We know now that wasn't the case, but why does that cause you so much consternation? Certainly, what was known early on pointed to that possibility, or do you disagree?

But that wasn't the only reason it became a big national story. There was also the fact that it was a mother and her daughters that were shot at and killed during an early morning grocery run, with no apparent motive for the crime. There was a city wide manhunt on of the killer. There was a need for the public to know and for tips. There was a lot of fear in the community because of the unknowns. There was a beautiful little girl that was brutally murdered and her family having to cope with her loss. These factors alone would have caused this story to go nationwide regardless of race. If you're being honest with yourself, you know that.

The fact that it may have been a hate crime didn't drive the investigation alone. It was considered one avenue of investigation. With the news coverage and tips that came in, they were able to identify the correct killers. The family is grateful that the right killers where found, even if they were surprised. Nobody gave false or erroneous information. Nobody was trying to pin this crime on a "white guy" to get even or for any other reason. So why are people reacting like this.

Credit to the Sheriff and his deputies for locating the driver of the car and to Shawn King for turning over the tip, hopefully they will find the shooter quickly as well. I doubt that the race of the shooter or his reasons or the fact that apparently the killers where looking for another car matter all that much to the family. They are still dealing with the heartbreaking loss of their child. It matters little to me either. I'm just glad that they have one in custody and know who they're looking for now.

Last edited:
Why does the revelation of who actually committed this murder garner this response? Are some of you really this sensitive to any story that may contain an issue of race?

From what I know of the case, everything that you would hope would happen after a murder like this is what has actually happened. First I'll just stipulate that "Yes", this absolutely became a larger national story because of the apparent possibility (early on) that this my have been an anonymous hate crime. We know now that wasn't the case, but why does that cause you so much consternation? Certainly, what was known early on pointed to that possibility, or do you disagree?

I'll take a stab at it. I think part of it stems from the perception that any negative encounter between people of different races brings about not just a presumption that the event was the result of racial animus, but an irrebuttable presumption this was the case. Take for example the incidents cited in the "why do white people keep calling the cops on black people" thread. I can recall one incident in that thread that was obviously racially motivated. Race may have played a factor in others, but the fact is that people treat each other poorly for many reasons. In that thread, we actually had at least one poster who was taking the position that in the absence of video evidence of white people calling the police on other white people for trivial crap, that it simply does not occur. The reality is that if one does not have at least one neighbor who is a little flakey and is to be avoided at all costs, then that person should consider himself lucky.

In this instance the OP, to his credit, did acknowledge that the event may have been caused by a number of factors. But, to be honest, that disclaimer felt like he was giving himself cover to say what he in fact went on to say, "that the racial overtones are quite obvious." Personally, my impression is that the OP is generally inclined to have a "let's wait for the facts" attitude, so I felt like it was just his wording that made that statement more abrasive than if he had said something like, "the facts do seem to present the possibility that this was racially motivated."

Last edited:
In this instance the OP, to his credit, did acknowledge that the event may have been caused by a number of factors. But, to be honest, that disclaimer felt like he was giving himself cover to say what he in fact went on to say, "that the racial overtones are quite obvious." Personally, my impression is that the OP is generally inclined to have a "let's wait for the facts" attitude, so I felt like it was just his wording that made that statement more abrasive than if he had said something like, "the facts do seem to present the possibility that this was racially motivated."

You are correct. I really didn't think much about how I worded that statement, but it seems everyone else was much more concerned with it than I was. It was just a nod to the fact that some would place a racial impact on this.

I've learned from this and will choose more carefully next time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom