7 year old girl murdered in Houston (1 Viewer)

There is a huge difference in suspecting this was a racial incident and declaring that it was a racial incident. There are enough racial problems in this country, we don't have to declare everything as racist just because an incident involves people of two different races.

Shaun King said the same thing - that there's a danger there and that the witness (who, at the time of the first releases of information) is probably somewhere fearing for his life.

It can be incredibly perilous.

Reddit's role in the Boston Bomber attack is one example that comes to mind. That was a totally tragic wreck for a number of reasons. And highlighted the dangerous irresponsibility you are talking about.

When the suspect was initially white, the discussion around race was about how it was a racist white dude who wanted to shoot up some black people (something that has obviously happened, and recently, and probably in a lot of people's minds) and that becomes the jumped-to conclusion. When it came out that the police were searching for someone black, I saw comments about how "mom was a drug dealer and this was a deal gone bad" and "mom was a gang banger who crossed the wrong person and she's trying to hide her past" and such, with references to black on black violence and gang-related crime. The race of the suspect played the same inflammatory role for people, but this time it was flipped. Same incident, a matter of hours and we see extremes employed.

Most murders aren't motivated by racial animus, but when something like this happens - one of the first things people reach for because of the "lightning pace" is a racial angle.

Mistaken identities or wrong information at that point can be dangerous to innocent people, risking even more innocent lives.

I agree with this.
But it also seems worth it to point out, that there appears (at least) to be a difference from some people posting things about the mother on Facebook, Twitter, and message boards to further a narrative or whatever vs. CNN or another major outlet pushing a narrative.

And I don't necessarily mean to imply a motive other than views - a white racist shooting and killing a random 7 year old black girl is going to get far more views than a gang revenge killing gone bad.

hysteria caused by ratings driven news is a real problem - and it seems to be getting exponentially worse.

Still - I don;t think ti was an unreasonable thought to have had that this shooting was motivated by race - I just think running with that, and exploiting it, before the facts are in is terrible.

You've just completely ignored what I posted to the point of not even responding to me with a quote and simply repeating what you previously said in a much more lengthy post.

I wish I had more time to address this discussion, but I simply don't. Not if I want to continue to get paid. I can't just keep repeating myself in different and more defined ways. My New Year's resolution was to stay out of these threads for these very reasons. I've already broken that, but thank you for the sharp reminder of why I should stick with that resolution for good.
You mean the response where you essentially proved my thesis for me?

What more do you want me to say?

You are getting flippant and outraged that people hypothesized possible racial motivations when they heard from eye witness testimony that the shooter was white and approached a parked car in a wal-mart parking lot and fired indiscriminately.....though it would be totally cool if they hypothesized road rage, since it happens with frequency(though for the sake of posterity, you linked something talking about 12,000 incidents over 7 years, if the operating logic is that occurrence is the justification for ranking motives, it's worth noting that there were 7000 reported hate crimes....last year alone....and that is with study after study showing these crimes are under reported ).

You opened all this with a paragraph simultaneously defending profiling and motive assuming and then saying it is beyond the pale in this instance. A contradiction I frankly just dont know what to do with.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom