748-Pound Shark Caught Off S. Fla. (1 Viewer)

SWJJ

moar bink ball
Reaction score
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- A massive shark was caught off the coast of Fort Lauderdale, and it was all captured on video.

A group of friends were fishing about 18 miles off the coast of Ft. Lauderdale Sunday when they stumbled across 10-foot-long, 750-pound shark feeding on a swordfish.

Jamie Bunn, who videotaped the event, watched as his three friends tried to capture the creature.

"I vividly remember the quote 'We might as well get this thing. Someone's dying today,'" Bunn told Local 10's Rob Schmitt Monday.

It took quite a while to capture the shark. The group tried using the dead swordfish to lure her close to the boat and capture her.

In the video, the struggle was made clear when one of the men screamed, "I'm afraid to lean over. If I fall over i'm dead."

In the end, the fishermen were successful in their attempt.

On a scale at the marina, the shark weighed in at 748 pounds.

http://www.justnews.com/news/21213088/detail.html

In the comments below the story, an unorganized debate about sport fishing seems to have ensued.

What are you thoughts about sport fishing and this particular incident?

Personally I do not have a problem with sport hunting or fishing, but you have to exercise responsibilty. This fish may be endangered, they know nothing about what kind of shark this was, etc.

As someone who swims those waters every weekend 10 months a year, I don't give a hoot if its endangered, kill it, kill it now.

The shark in Jaws was 3 tons and that's totally based on a true story. I'm not impressed.

I just want to know how they caught it. Can you imagine how hard a shark that size would pull? Not to mention it would take hours to tire to the point of landing it.

I for one welcome our new swordfish eating Shark Overlords.

Swordfish have tremendous amounts of lead and mercury. The shark was doomed anyway.

First of all, that is a big Mako, but it really isn't that huge. The Florida state record is 911 lbs. http://www.floridasportsman.com/records/ Louisiana's record is almost 1150 lbs, actually caught earlier this year. http://www.laoutdoorwriters.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=raz4WbMqdQY=&tabid=87

Second, these guys are idiots. Mako sharks are known as one of the most powerful swimmers among sharks, and are actually considered a sport fish by many. That is, provided you actually use a rod and reel to catch it. From what I could tell in the video, it looked like they lured it near the boat with some chum, then just used a gaff on it. There isn't much sporting about that.

244oe1x.jpg

"I vividly remember the quote 'We might as well get this thing. Someone's dying today,'" Bunn told Local 10's Rob Schmitt Monday.

20040729-redneck.jpg

So they stumbled upon a large shark and decided to kill it just to kill it? They're idiots.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom