77% of Oklahoma High School Students dont know who the 1st President was (1 Viewer)

It could be Oklahoma just really sucks.

That's nothing. My entire staff couldn't find NY on a map and they all have lived here their entire lives.

It could be Oklahoma just really sucks.

Id like to think so.

But as someone who graduated college fairly recently, I know a bunch of girls majoring in Education that im 100% positive couldnt answer those questions either.

21% of journalists can't subtract 23 from 100

Article Title said:
75 Percent of Oklahoma High School Students Can't Name the First President of the U.S.

actual percentage who got question right said:

Oklahoma really sucks, but kids aren't learning the same things that they used to learn. They aren't dumber, they just don't see the importance of learning that kind of stuff.

Kids today learn different than we did yesterday. They do not have to remember information and memorize, the information is at their finger tips using their cell phones. Being a teacher, 6th gd. I think my students if given their cell phones could have passed the test given to the students in OK with 100%

That is one of the comments after the article. I see why these kids don't know anything. That is what a teacher said. Dear Lord, its time to become an expat.

Kids today learn different than we did yesterday. They do not have to remember information and memorize, the information is at their finger tips using their cell phones. Being a teacher, 6th gd. I think my students if given their cell phones could have passed the test given to the students in OK with 100%

That is one of the comments after the article. I see why these kids don't know anything. That is what a teacher said. Dear Lord, its time to become an expat.
So the person's argument is that the kids don't need to have any basic knowledge because they can just look it up? Hasn't that ALWAYS been true? How is looking up the answer on a cell phone any different than just having your text-book or an encyclopedia in front of you? The answer is that it isn't.

The ability to cheat doesn't excuse a lack of learning, and I wholeheartedly agree that for a teacher to have made that comment is profoundly disturbing.

So the person's argument is that the kids don't need to have any basic knowledge because they can just look it up? Hasn't that ALWAYS been true? How is looking up the answer on a cell phone any different than just having your text-book or an encyclopedia in front of you? The answer is that it isn't.

The ability to cheat doesn't excuse a lack of learning, and I wholeheartedly agree that for a teacher to have made that comment is profoundly disturbing.

As a college student, I agree with this.

I wholeheartedly agree that for a teacher to have made that comment is profoundly disturbing.

My college roommate was an elementary education major and while i'd be busting my a** on 15-20 page research papers he'd come home every day with his big "projects" of the day.

Fingerpainting, drawing with crayons, drawing with colored pencils, was literally all he did in class.

He used to make fun of us all the time for all the actual school work we'd have to do.

I represented LSUat the Oklahoma City public school district college fair last night. Only five minutes into the evening, one of them stole a plastic crawfish I had on the table. Another asked what LSU stood for. Another, receiving an LSU decal, asked what a decal was. Another, asking where LSU was, and getting "Baton Rouge" for an answer, asked where Baton Rouge was. These are all true.

Amazingly, there's no shortage of good publicity regarding academic performance by at least the suburban districts. My son, no hard worker he, is bored to death by the academic content of the local school he attends.

The only criticism I could posit is that the OCPA is an arch-conservative thinktank in OKC which has criticized govt initiatives for years. The findings, true or not, could be placed in that context.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom