77% of Oklahoma High School Students dont know who the 1st President was (1 Viewer)

Arizona also sucks.
The Arizona test was given by the Goldwater institute... sounds pretty non-biased, right?

Anyways, I'd like to see the results of this test if they were given to students who were then told "Get 6 out of 10 right, or we're shipping you to Cuba with no money"

Oklahoma really sucks, but kids aren't learning the same things that they used to learn. They aren't dumber, they just don't see the importance of learning that kind of stuff.

I bet if we asked them to name each of Britney's albums, they could do that. Who says they aren't learning anything in school?

Because whats more likely: That 98% of Oklahoma high school students are mentally challenged, or that 98% of Oklahoma high school students are lazy, and dont care about polls, and just wanted to get the call over with?
That 98% of Oklahoma high school students are mentally challenged.

That 98% of Oklahoma high school students are mentally challenged.

DWFC lived on reservation in OK. I can state unequivocally that 98% of Ok High School grads that move on to OU and graduate, mentally challenged or not, will end up in trailer park. Slightly better percentage for tornados. The rest is unimportant.

The Tulsa World chimes in (long, reasonably thoughtful editorial, with a provocative proposal at the end):

The road to U.S. citizenship: Oklahoma students should be able to pass the test
Here's a letter to the editor we received by e-mail Tuesday from a man in Coral Springs, Fla.:

"I read that 75 percent of high school students in your state cannot identify who the first president of the U.S. was. I also know that your two senators are wacky senator Imhoff (sic) and even wackier (if that's possibsle (sic)) senator Colburn (sic). Is anyone embarrassed for the reputation of Oklahoma? Can anyone in Oklahoma spell embarrass?"​

— Matthew Ladner, the research director of the Goldwater Institute, says, "Given the proper motivation, people from all over the world pass the test similar to the one given here at a rate of 92 percent on their first try. Oklahoma lawmakers should require students to pass the (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) exam in order to advance to high school." He's right: Motivation is key, but he's wrong that the carrot should be a student's right to a free public education. That would be counterproductive toward the greater goal of an educated society and probably illegal.

If you want to give teens motive to learning basic facts about civics and history, why not require all applicants for a driver's license to pass a basic civics test? There's some motive. Do that, and I think the real story about George Washington will get around pretty quickly.

Now, let's talk about a spelling test for people in Coral Springs, Fla. We'll ask Sen. Imhoff and Sen. Colburn if that's possibsle

Most HS graduates can hardly handle Algebra. There are not a lot of analytical (useful) that do not require some understand of algebra and most require at least some Calc... nor are there a lot of Scientific disciplines that you can master without that level of mathematical aptitude. We are failing to educate large amounts of children and that is a problem but a bigger problem is most of the people we are educating are winding up liberal arts majors, actual art majors, or in business disciplines with no hard skills....

I hate to say it as a big advocate of states rights but some national standards need to exist... and we may want to think about track education in HS. All the talk about well rounded education is more or less a sham... the reason colleges require such a broad base of education is too fold 1) so you have to take more classes to graduate and pay them more, 2) so people with non functional higher degrees can make a living teaching.

I definately wouldnt question your qualifications. You seem overqualified, if anything.

My mother's a teacher, and she was telling me the other day about lots of new teachers who are now getting some kind of "alternative certification" where they dont even need education degrees.

I don't know how I feel about the alternative certifications. I think those who support them will cite the previously mentioned "education" classes requiring a lot of finger painting and suggest that a person with a straight English major might be just as qualified to teach English and perhaps more so. On the other hand, I think that teaching is a skill apart from just the knowledge an instructor has. We know this because there are good teachers and bad.

I think they just put the wrong answer on purpose. I could see myself doing that in high school. Schools give you so many surveys and "how many times have you" tests that I would just fill in answers.

"Snaking" the test, the kids call it here. That's when you just snake your way down that bubble answer sheet marking at random.

I don't know how I feel about the alternative certifications. I think those who support them will cite the previously mentioned "education" classes requiring a lot of finger painting and suggest that a person with a straight English major might be just as qualified to teach English and perhaps more so. On the other hand, I think that teaching is a skill apart from just the knowledge an instructor has. We know this because there are good teachers and bad.

"Snaking" the test, the kids call it here. That's when you just snake your way down that bubble answer sheet marking at random.

http://www.teach-now.org/intro.cfm

The Arizona test was given by the Goldwater institute... sounds pretty non-biased, right?

Anyways, I'd like to see the results of this test if they were given to students who were then told "Get 6 out of 10 right, or we're shipping you to Cuba with no money"

If they don't even know where Cuba is, why would they be scared?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom