9.10 Ubuntu Karmic (1 Viewer)

Howtoforge.com has new howto's up for a Perfect Server and upgrading from an older version.

Yesterday, I did an upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 on my laptop. So far, no problems. Upgrade was smooth and things are running well.

Have any of y'all tested out the Gnome Shell interface yet? What's your feeling on its usability?

If anybody is thinking about making the jump prior to the release, I recommend waiting. The number (and size) of updates is heavy right now.

Too late. I'm a 1-week old Ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala newbie who is migrating from Windows. I was pretty proficient in windows, but not an expert. I now feel "Linux mentally challenged".

I did a dual boot on an old Dell Dimension 2400 and the install went very well. However, Ubuntu is kinda quirky on this machine. I'd like to kick MS to the curb, but the Ubuntu bugs make me question whether to stick with the Windows I know, but hate.

I can see the long-term potential of Ubuntu/Linux and I can envision what I need to do to effectuate a complete dismissal of Windows for Ubuntu, but if I can't get past these initial bugs that freeze my desktop and force a hard reboot, what's the point?

Cruising the FAQ and help forums, it appears I've migrated at the worst possible time and walked into a slew of beta-test features that are a precursor to the anticipated 10.04 Lucid Lynx LTS distro. I don't know if I can maintain interest that long, before I can experience the satisfaction of a stable Ubuntu desktop. I WANT to, but I don't know...

You guys are amazing with all your techno-talk. It's like a foreign language, and I'm trying to figure out what you're saying. I think I'm gonna have to lurk awhile and try to learn the lingo.

Until then, any volunteers to "mentor" me and help speed up the stability of my Ubuntu desktop? Thanks guys...

Too late. I'm a 1-week old Ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala newbie who is migrating from Windows. I was pretty proficient in windows, but not an expert. I now feel "Linux mentally challenged".

I did a dual boot on an old Dell Dimension 2400 and the install went very well. However, Ubuntu is kinda quirky on this machine. I'd like to kick MS to the curb, but the Ubuntu bugs make me question whether to stick with the Windows I know, but hate.

I can see the long-term potential of Ubuntu/Linux and I can envision what I need to do to effectuate a complete dismissal of Windows for Ubuntu, but if I can't get past these initial bugs that freeze my desktop and force a hard reboot, what's the point?

Cruising the FAQ and help forums, it appears I've migrated at the worst possible time and walked into a slew of beta-test features that are a precursor to the anticipated 10.04 Lucid Lynx LTS distro. I don't know if I can maintain interest that long, before I can experience the satisfaction of a stable Ubuntu desktop. I WANT to, but I don't know...

You guys are amazing with all your techno-talk. It's like a foreign language, and I'm trying to figure out what you're saying. I think I'm gonna have to lurk awhile and try to learn the lingo.

Until then, any volunteers to "mentor" me and help speed up the stability of my Ubuntu desktop? Thanks guys...

tell me about it. I am a 2nd day changeover from all that is Windows to Karmic Koala. All I can do at this point is quote McDonald's......I'm lovin' it!!

Anybody having issues with 9.10 should not hesitate to install 9.04 which may get rid of any bugs that have been recently introduced. However, many of these bugs may very well be issues with your video driver (ATI or NVidia) and there are definitely fixes out there.

Anybody having issues with 9.10 should not hesitate to install 9.04 which may get rid of any bugs that have been recently introduced. However, many of these bugs may very well be issues with your video driver (ATI or NVidia) and there are definitely fixes out there.

I've been having issues with 9.10, documented in other thread posts, but not much different than a MS Win upgrade, per se (he, he, he!). I installed 9.10 on a dual-boot setup with intent to slowly migrate completely from Win. Except for the initial bugs, I am extremely impressed and pleasantly suprised at the "out of the box" ability to replace many, if not, most of my needed MS Win programs. I may complete my migration ahead of schedule, if I can just learn to speak Linux techno talk. But I digress..

FWIW, I can attest to the fact that Ubuntu developers are aware of issues, acknowledge them, and put out bug fixes on a daily basis. Almost every day, my Update Manager automatically notifies me of available updates & upgrades. It's a nice change from MS tech support who typically suggests that the problem lies within the "other vendor's" software.

From what I can gather, it appears that 9.10 is the current attempt to push the Ubuntu OS as far as possible to beta test programs/features in order to get ALL issues resolved in anticipation of the 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" distro, which will be a LTS (long-term support) release. As I understand it, in plain english, 9.10 is more buggy than usual so that 10.04 can be supremely stable over a long period; probably 2 years until the next LTS release.

If I knew 2 weeks ago, what I know now...I prolly would've installed 9.04, bypassed the 9.10 upgrade, and jumped all over the 10.04 LTS release. I can't change history, so I guess I'll learn the hard way, like I always do, and watch all the bugs get worked from 9.10 just in time to upgrade to 10.04. At least that's the plan...

Just asking, but are you sure it's not a hardware problem on the moboard? I've been running PS/2 with no problems.

Not entirely, no - in fact I'm somewhat suspicious of the KB/mouse hardware as it's a completely pointless Logitech wireless rig - the only replacement I could find with PS/2 leads and decent keys. It has a long cable to the sensor, and is apparently susceptible to electrical interference. :covri: That said, it *was* working for a month or more with no problems.

Here's where I am now.

As the first step to whatever the ultimate solution is, I backed up everything, nuked all the partitions bar \home and the winXP partitions, and reinstalled 9.04 completely - thinking if that fails, try 9.10, them Debian, and so on. It worked perfectly for a few days, and has since locked at the grub menu once, but I let it run to the Ubuntu default and that worked perfectly. What I was most often seeing with the old set up was the converse - grub menu accessible, KB and mouse locked at the graphical login screen (couldn't even get to a terminal).

I was doing a lot of switching back and forth checking stuff during the backup process, and I never had windows login screen lock up on me in the same way, though it was typically a start sequence of from LiveCD, reboot to grub, with about a 50% failure rate at the Ubuntu login screen after the grub boot.

So I'm up and running but it's still a mystery, so I'm in watch mode for a while.

If you're screen is locking up, I kinda wonder if you have the same problem I did (still do?). My mouse & keyboard are USB devices and the keyboard periodically locks up at random intervals; I can't duplicate this error on command, only wait for it to happen. My mouse will move on the screen, but on-screen clicks do nothing. After much troubleshooting, forum cruising, and begging for help, it appears my issues are video driver related...having nothing to do with keyboard/mouse setup.

If you log into your terminal screen and type "dmesg", copy into your text editor (and save for future reference in case someone else is able to look at that for you) and look for error messages...someone smarter than me can tell you what to look for, but any "bugs" should be somewhat obvious with "failed" or "error" notations. Mine referenced a dbus error that, when searched on Ubuntu forum, lead to video driver error diagnosis and a workaround for "KMS" or kernel mode setting disablement. Mine's pretty stable now (knock on wood!) and I'm grateful for the help I got.

Maybe your error is similar to mine; then again, maybe it's just a failing keyboard/mouse PS2 setup. In the spirit of smarter, more experienced Linux & Ubuntu users...I'm just trying to help, if I can... Good luck!

Sounds like a hardware issue.
After it 'locks up', have you tried to access via ssh from another machine?
If you can, check the /var/log/messages and the /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Problem should be in there. dmesg good too.
If you cannot access it via ssh, try booting to a CD (or whatever), mount the drive, and check the above files.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom