9.10 Ubuntu Karmic (1 Viewer)

llama

Very Banned
Reaction score
Well it's official release is just around the corner. I have been successful in upgrading my dual boot laptop (with W7) to 9.10. I also was successful converting over to GRUB2.

Gnome Shell is now an optional apt-get away, and I can see where it would really be cool for netbooks and smaller appliances. I'm using it for a bit to see if I like it.

As 9.10 is still in Alpha, I recommend you stay away from it unless you're comfortable with some occasional breakage. The bootsplash has changed and the default theme has went to more of a brownish instead of burnt orange color also.

I never leave that stuff as the default though. I did discover gnome-color-chooser which makes changing the panel text colors a simple process.

So far definitely a thumbs up.

Oh, I'm still using ext3. I tried ext4 on Jaunty and ended up with a completely borked disk.

Ext 4

Ext4 is stable enough now. I have been running it on Jaunty 9.04 when it came out. Their were issues with Ext4 in the alpha and beta stage of Jaunty. It would take up to 3-4 minutes for it to write from memory. This was fixed shortly after it was announced.

Just installed it in a vm. Man, these updates take forever while it's in the alpha and beta stages.

Ext4 is stable enough now. I have been running it on Jaunty 9.04 when it came out. Their were issues with Ext4 in the alpha and beta stage of Jaunty. It would take up to 3-4 minutes for it to write from memory. This was fixed shortly after it was announced.

Welcome to sr.com.....:bigok:

The tech forums isn't exactly where I'd expect someone's first post though.:shrug:

With grub 2, did grub.cfg replace menu.lst? I don't see menu.lst at all.

Yes, and I haven't toyed with editing it yet, but it may be that one must re-run `update-grub` after editing it (similar to how LiLo had to be re-processed after edits). I think I read something about that.

And welcome to SR.com, chicagonpg1. Do you have a separate ext3 /boot partition? That's what got all foobar'd on my Jaunty install. The ext4 fried my boot partition. Luckily i always keep a separate /home.

Yes, do not edit that file manually. Use the 'grub-mkconfig' command.

Also, 'update-grub' is now 'update-grub2'. Read up on the 'upgrade-from-grub-legacy' command, too.

Have any of you messed around with GfxBoot & Grub2? It's a graphical boot screen used in OpenSUSE. Nice looking stuff, haven't used it, though.

On Ext4. Have used it for testing, but will give it a while before I put this on a production setup or anything. Is that now the "default" filesystem on 9.10?

edit:
Found these to maybe help out:
http://blogs.koolwal.net/2009/10/01/info-grub2-101-class
http://pdg86.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/grub-2-howto

and for dual boot (XP/Vista) issues:
http://blogs.koolwal.net/2008/12/28/windows-xpvista-dual-boot-does-not-boot-from-grub2-or-grub-pc

On Ext4. Have used it for testing, but will give it a while before I put this on a production setup or anything. Is that now the "default" filesystem on 9.10?

It is, according to what I read on their site.

Huhm. It appears tap-to-click on touchpads has been disabled.

If anybody is thinking about making the jump prior to the release, I recommend waiting. The number (and size) of updates is heavy right now.

I'm just going to wait for the final release and install it on a separate hd. 9.04 has been my favorite release so far, but 9.10 seems like it's going to be a bigger upgrade.

Last edited:
9.04 is what I'm running on my laptop and 8.04 on my desktop. I like 9.04 a bit more and waiting to see what issues there are if any with 9.10 before moving. Are you guys going to upgrade or do a clean install? I am thinking about wiping my hard drive and starting fresh with Ext 4.

I've got a spare 40g I was going to do a fresh install on and play with. I'm also going to d/l the rc, when released, and install in a vm just to play with until FR so I can see the changes before hand. Like llama said, there's a ton of d/ls right now for the beta. The RC should be pretty stable I would think.

I was just at their site and they still have the beta up with 2 days to go. Isn't the RC usually up at this point?

It says Beta on the homepage, but it is the RC on the download page. I'm going to throw it into another vm and check it out since I really have nothing better to do right now.

I noticed some wonky behavior with the editor nano, which I use inside of mutt. my personal file settings in ~/.nanorc were being over-ridden by /etc/nanorc for the first time in years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom