9-7 will win the South? (1 Viewer)

As a Panther fan I'd say the final game against NO will probably be meaningless. The only game so far this season they've even approached playing well for a full 60 minutes was against Baltimore. Other than that they have played average to below average in every single game, not to mention the games they've failed to finish they should have won, Cincy and Dallas being two of them. Unless someone, namely Fox, kicks this team in the *** 8-8 will be an achievement. Oh, and fire Dan Henning too !!

I think that we will both be 9-6 going into the game on new year's eve. Winner takes the division!

It is EXTREMELY likely that the New Year's Eve Carolina game will be for the division title.

The Saints would really have to fall flat on their faces while Carolina plays lights out football for Carolina to have the division wrapped up by the New Years Eve game.

Even if the Panthers win the next 4 games - and the Saints go 2-2 in that stretch - the winner of the NO-Carolina game will take the division. If Carolina goes 3-1, then the Saints would have to lose ALL of the next 4 games to not have a shot at the division going into the Carolina game. This is because the Saints have swept Atlanta and TB, and Carolina has the loss to Atlanta. If we are a game behind Carolina on 12/31 - and then beat them - we'll take the division based on division record (4-1 vs. 3-2).

On the flip side, the only way NO can wrap up the division title before the Carolina game is if they have a better record over the next four games than Carolina. That's unlikely - Carolina will be favored in at least 3, if not 4, of their next 4 games (@ PHI, NYG, PIT, @ ATL). Of course, yesterday was a bad loss for Carolina - they could easily lose to ANY of those 4 teams based on their inconsistency this season. A 3-1 record for Carolina seems likely.

So the botton line is - New Year's in the dome for the division marbles. Bank on it.

The Schedules

Saints (7-4)
Niners
@ Cowboys
Redskins
@ Giants
Carolina

Carolina (6-5)
@Eagles
Giants
Steelers
@Falcons
@Saints

Chicago (9-2)
Vikings
@ Rams
Bucs
@ Lions
Packers

Giants (6-5)
Dallas
@Carolina
Eagles
Saints
@Redskins

Dallas (7-4)
@Giants
Saints
@Falcons
Eagles
Lions

Seattle (6-4)
Green bay
@Denver
@Arizona
Niners
Chargers
@Bucs

I think all games are tough, however
I color coded the games. The Blue and Gold are the cross games (games we play each other). The Red represent teams with a winning record. The teams in mustard are Eagles, Steelers, and Falcons. Their inconsistent play has led to a losing record. I think they can be like playing a winning team.

There are other teams that could "upset", like Lions v. Cowboys, Packers v. Bears, Niners v. Seahawks, Washington v. Giants, Vikings v. Bears.

The Bears schedule gives a false impression. They play all three of their divisional rivals. Traditionally speaking, like most divisions, records never mean a thing. This is especially true with the Packers.

Carolina seems to have the roughest road to the playoffs. If they get in, it will be well deserved.

Giants and Cowboys may be next, which makes the Saints not much easier.
Giants and Saints share three common opponents, while Dallas, trade Panthers for Falcons.

The Schedules

Carolina (6-5)
@Eagles
Giants
Steelers
@Falcons
@Saints

Nice job on the schedule summary.

Three observations about Carolina's schedule:

(1) They have a game against Mike Vick left, at Atlanta. IIRC, he's 6-2 against them as a starter.

(2) They host the Steelers. The two intervening games for the Steelers are December home games versus Tampa and Cleveland. The Steelers could be 6-7 and fighting not to be eliminated in the Panthers-Steelers game.

(3) They play the Giants before the Saints play the Giants. This week's Cowboys-Giants game is win-win for the Saints. If the Cowboys lose, the Saints can pass them in the bye race with a home win over the 49ers. If the Cowboys win, the Giants are on a 4-game slide -- a Panthers win means that the Giants could be on a 6-game slide and virtually (or even mathematically) eliminated when they play the Saints.

We win division before final game.

It is EXTREMELY likely that the New Year's Eve Carolina game will be for the division title.

The Saints would really have to fall flat on their faces while Carolina plays lights out football for Carolina to have the division wrapped up by the New Years Eve game.

Even if the Panthers win the next 4 games - and the Saints go 2-2 in that stretch - the winner of the NO-Carolina game will take the division. If Carolina goes 3-1, then the Saints would have to lose ALL of the next 4 games to not have a shot at the division going into the Carolina game. This is because the Saints have swept Atlanta and TB, and Carolina has the loss to Atlanta. If we are a game behind Carolina on 12/31 - and then beat them - we'll take the division based on division record (4-1 vs. 3-2).

On the flip side, the only way NO can wrap up the division title before the Carolina game is if they have a better record over the next four games than Carolina. That's unlikely - Carolina will be favored in at least 3, if not 4, of their next 4 games (@ PHI, NYG, PIT, @ ATL). Of course, yesterday was a bad loss for Carolina - they could easily lose to ANY of those 4 teams based on their inconsistency this season. A 3-1 record for Carolina seems likely.

So the botton line is - New Year's in the dome for the division marbles. Bank on it.

I think we will win the division before that, just on outright win-loss record. I don't see Carolina making a miraculous recovery and winning out. I say the Saints win the division with ease! Go Saints

I think that Carolina is EXTREMELY lucky that they are playing several teams who are now in disarray. They don't have to play a healthy Eagle team, they will be playing the Giants the week after next. The Giants play the Cowbows next week and will lose. There will be a mutiny in Giant land.

The Steelers have thrown in the towl and the Falcons are a sinking ship. Typical Panther luck. I truly think that they are going to win their next 4. Really.

9-7 won't win it... More importantly, that would spell BIG problems for us, even if we won it.

We would literally have to have another slump and go 2-3 in our last five games to end up at 9-7, assuming that one of the 2 games we won would be against Carolina.

Not very much fun backing into the playoffs with a 2-3 record. This team is capable of much more when they play like they did today and in thier first eight games.

As a Panther fan I'd say the final game against NO will probably be meaningless. The only game so far this season they've even approached playing well for a full 60 minutes was against Baltimore. Other than that they have played average to below average in every single game, not to mention the games they've failed to finish they should have won, Cincy and Dallas being two of them. Unless someone, namely Fox, kicks this team in the *** 8-8 will be an achievement. Oh, and fire Dan Henning too !!

Riadric, thanks for the post. Is there some sort of grand unification theory as to why the Panthers are struggling on offense? Is it the reshuffling of the OL to account for the injuries to LT and C? Or is the team just not the same without a big back like Davis?

My own theory is that Delhomme has regressed a little bit; he's still turning the ball over, but he's sort of limited in the passing game to Smith as far as any hope for a big play, and the lack of a strong running game has taken some of the play-action away from him, which he's pretty good at.

Your thoughts, as always, are welcome.

Nice job on the schedule summary.

Three observations about Carolina's schedule:

Thanks ....

Playoff Picture Part II: The Walking Wounded
If you scan the last post, you will notice that there are exactly 6 teams. It would be nice if we all made it, but you will never know,... here are others

The following team are all 5-6 (except Packers)

key
Red= winning record
Orange= against other "bubble teams"
Black= struggling teams
Gold= Saints

Niners
@Saints
Packers
@Seattle
Cardinals
Broncos

Vikings
@ Bears
@Lions
Jets
@Packers
Rams

Eagles
Panthers
@Redskins
@Giants
@Cowboys
Falcons

Falcons
@Redskins
@Bucs
Cowboys
Panthers
@Eagles

*Packers
@Seahawks (Must win)
Jets
@Niners
Lions
Vikings
@Bears

Rams
Cardinals
Bears
@Raiders
Redskins
@Vikings

On Paper,....

The Packers, Eagles, and Niners have the toughest road to make the playoffs

The Vikings and Rams seem to have the best route.
The Vikings are 5-3 in the NFC.
The rams are 4-4 in the NFC.

The Falcons, like the Eagles appear to be falling apart.
The Falcons have the best chance to right the ship, they have two games against other struggling teams, plus an Eagles teams.
The Eagles have three games against teams currently with a winning record.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom