90% of Americans believe at least one conspiracy theory (4 Viewers)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Who believes in conspiracy theories?

Statistically speaking: almost everyone.

A team of researchers recently showed several thousand Americans a list of 20 common conspiracy theories and asked if they believed them. These included false conspiracy theories about the John F. Kennedy assassination, 5G cellular wireless technology, Barack Obama’s birth certificate, covid-19 and climate change.

The result: Nine in 10 Americans believed in at least one conspiracy theory.

The study — led by Adam Enders of the University of Louisville and Joseph Uscinski of the University of Miami — surveyed a representative sample of 2,023 Americans in March 2020 and 2,015 more in October 2020. This article uses questions from their surveys to test your knowledge — and your credulity.

So, can you tell fact from fiction, or will you fall down the rabbit hole? Scroll down to find out.

Let’s get started: Which of the statements below is true?

Jeffrey Epstein, the billionaire accused of running an elite sex trafficking ring, was murdered to cover up the activities of his criminal network.

President John F. Kennedy was killed by a conspiracy rather than by a lone gunman.

The FBI kept tabs on civil rights leaders such as the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., attempting to find compromising information and damage his reputation.

Regardless of who is officially in charge of the government and other organizations, there is a single group of people who secretly control events and rule the world together……..

Conspiracy theories follow a simple formula​

Powerful people + Use deceitful or shadowy means + Benefit themselves or harm the public

Barack Obama faked his citizenship to become president.

Donald Trump faked having covid-19 to help his chances at reelection.

Hillary Clinton conspired to give Russia access to nuclear materials……

Last edited:
Here's the thing though. You know some of these have to have some truth in them somwhere.

Take the Martin Luther King one, for example. It's a well known fact that J. Edgar Hoover had his private files on certain people with certain information in an effort to be able to use that information if it ever became necessary.

That's not a conspiracy theory.

So the statistic's accuracy varies greatly on what exactly you consider to be a conspiracy theory.

Look, I think there's a decent chance Oswald wasn't a lone gunman. Do I think that LBJ and the CIA worked with the Mafia and Fidel Castro to have him killed? No. Does that mean I believe in a conspiracy theory?

Here's the full list from the survey:

1) The one percent (1%) of the richest people in the U.S. control the government and the economy for their own benefit.

2) Jeffrey Epstein, the billionaire accused of running an elite sex trafficking ring, was murdered to cover-up the activities of his criminal network.

3) The dangers of genetically-modified foods are being hidden from the public.

4) President Kennedy was killed by a conspiracy rather than by a lone gunman.

5) There is a “deep state” embedded in the government that operates in secret and without oversight.

6) Donald Trump colluded with Russians to steal the presidency.

7) Russia has compromising information about Donald Trump, and has used Trump as a foreign asset.

8) Regardless of who is officially in charge of governments and other organizations, there is a single group of people who secretly control events and rule the world together.

9) Coronavirus was purposely created and released by powerful people as part of a conspiracy.

10) The dangers of vaccines are being hidden by the medical establishment.

11) The threat of coronavirus has been exaggerated by political groups who want to damage President Trump.

12) A powerful family, the Rothschilds, through their wealth, controls governments, wars, and many countries' economies.

13) Hillary Clinton conspired to provide Russia with access to nuclear materials.

14) Republicans won the presidential elections in 2016, 2004, and 2000 by stealing them.

15) The dangers of 5G cellphone technology are being covered up.

16) The AIDS virus was created and spread around the world on purpose by a secret organization.

17) Climate change is a hoax perpetrated by corrupt scientists and politicians.

18) Barack Obama faked his citizenship to become president.

19) School shootings, like those at Sandy Hook, CT and Parkland, FL are false flag attacks perpetrated by the government.

20) The number of Jews killed by the Nazis during World War II has been exaggerated on purpose.

1) The one percent (1%) of the richest people in the U.S. control the government and the economy for their own benefit.

2) Jeffrey Epstein, the billionaire accused of running an elite sex trafficking ring, was murdered to cover-up the activities of his criminal network.

5) There is a “deep state” embedded in the government that operates in secret and without oversight.

7) Russia has compromising information about Donald Trump, and has used Trump as a foreign asset.

8) Regardless of who is officially in charge of governments and other organizations, there is a single group of people who secretly control events and rule the world together.

9) Coronavirus was purposely created and released by powerful people as part of a conspiracy.

11) The threat of coronavirus has been exaggerated by political groups who want to damage President Trump.

12) A powerful family, the Rothschilds, through their wealth, controls governments, wars, and many countries' economies.

13) Hillary Clinton conspired to provide Russia with access to nuclear materials.

14) Republicans won the presidential elections in 2016, 2004, and 2000 by stealing them.

16) The AIDS virus was created and spread around the world on purpose by a secret organization.

19) School shootings, like those at Sandy Hook, CT and Parkland, FL are false flag attacks perpetrated by the government.

20) The number of Jews killed by the Nazis during World War II has been exaggerated on purpose.
Also, I would say that while most of these are patently false, or at least have no real supporting evidence, I'd say the jury is still out on 6 and 7.

99.9% of that is crap.

There may be a shred of truth for a couple of those things somewhere but by and large it's all bunk.

99.9% of that is crap.

There may be a shred of truth for a couple of those things somewhere but by and large it's all bunk.
I'd agree that most have some truth to them but they're being taken too far.

Look at the hiv theory. I don't doubt that hiv wasn't addressed properly by the proper authorities because they believed that the only victims would be homosexual men. I don't, however, believe that there was a room of evil geniuses who created it and unleashed it on the world.

The deep state theory. Adjust it to people who have a disproportionate amount of money have a disproportionate amount of influence on the government. (See Rothschild theory)

I'm surprised at the 90%, I would have guessed 50 or 60%

My problem with conspiracy theories is that it seems for just about any story that comes out in the news every day, there are subsets of people who automatically go to ‘that’s what they WANT you to believe’ and if you take ANYTHING whatsoever on face value, well you’re just a ‘sheeple’ who doesnt want to ‘do the research.’

That said, the only two on this list i put any merit in is :

#1- duh, this isnt ‘my opinion’, or even debatable- you can see everywhere around us that the economic system is set up for the top 1% (take a look at how many more billions the Bezoses and the Zuckerbergs made during the pandemic).. and of course lobbyists control government, and have for a long time.. how the **** else are cigarettes still legal, for instance ?

#2- ive believed for a very long time that JFK was murdered by Carlos Marcelo and Woody Harrelson’s dad…. Not becuase “my gut” or anything, but becuase of facts.. i wont call anyone a ‘sheeple’ if they dont belive it, it’s just what i perceive as the truth.. it’s far more debatable though, than #1.

My theory isn't on that list, but it does go hand in hand with #5. I believe that the govt knows much more than it's telling us about the UFO/UAP phenomenon. We may even be in control of a few "vehicles" and are trying to reverse engineer them.

it's only "theory" until proven, lots of evidence proving we've been lied to before

debunkers are typically as fact ignorant as theorists

does anyone here simply believe what the government tells them?

Also, I would say that while most of these are patently false, or at least have no real supporting evidence, I'd say the jury is still out on 6 and 7.
The ‘trick’ with 6 is ‘to steal the election’ it’s a straw man inside a conspiracy
He most certainly colluded with Russia, but Russia was doing it to compromise Hillary’s presidency
Neither Russia nor trump thought he would win

I'm surprised at the 90%, I would have guessed 50 or 60%
I think their trick to get to 90% is begin with a premise that has some fact, but guide the question to a ‘conspiracy’ ending
Like the 2000 election was clearly a manufactured result, but that’s not the same as Kerry being Swift Boated
Both are unethical as **** but only one ventures into the ‘stolen election’ realm and then you can shuck n jive about the meaning of ‘stolen’

Plus the actions of 1/6 and the umpteen attempts to over throw election results really makes the cries of ‘conspiracy’ laughable

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom