911 Dispatcher Tells Woman About To Be Sexually Assaulted There Are No Cops To Help Her Due To Budget Cuts (1 Viewer)

Semper

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
911 Dispatcher Tells Woman About To Be Sexually Assaulted There Are No Cops To Help Her Due To Budget Cuts « CBS Seattle

“Uh, I don’t have anybody to send out there,” the 911 dispatcher told the woman. “You know, obviously, if he comes inside the residence and assaults you, can you ask him to go away? Do you know if he’s intoxicated or anything?”

This is incredible... I'd love to raise some money to buy that woman a gun, assuming she would consent to owning one and also had the desire to defend herself. Maybe she should have peed on herself or something...

But if we buy her a gun then she is more likely to shoot herself, according to some citizens of our country.

So I guess if someone just murdered a guy on the street and hes trying to break into a home to murder an eye witness, with the budget cuts they just cant send anyone out there? "Do you think he'll murder more than just the guy on the street and you? Is there a way that you can just escape?"

wow, this is a horrible story and it seems like the discussion is already a lost cause.:jpshakehead:

I thought it would go like:

inappropriate law enforcement plan...

very inappropriate 911 response...

Obama is taking our guns.

There were State Police. It seems almost like the operator was making a political statement. I can't imagine that telling someone in distress that was in the protocol.

I can't believe the dispatcher would do that either.

But if we buy her a gun then she is more likely to shoot herself, according to some citizens of our country.

Well I think statistically she is more likely to shoot herself or someone she knows than an unknown assailant. But that doesn't mean it still isn't helpful to have in the event of an unknown assailant!

That's an awful situation, and the 911 operator probably shouldn't have said it in exactly those words, but it bears noting that this happened in August 2012 and it's showing up now because it became a point of discussion in Tuesday's election, where two Oregon counties tried to pass property taxes to pay for more cops.

And the tax increase was rejected.

Oregon's Cash-Strapped Counties Reject Public Safety Levies : The Two-Way : NPR

Two Oregon counties have reportedly rejected property tax increases that would have funded law enforcement and public safety services. The counties once received federal timber subsidies, but those days are over — and now they're scrambling to pay for essential services.

In Josephine County, where nearly 70 percent of the land belongs to the U.S. government, Tuesday's vote that was too close to call last night. But in Grants Pass, Ore., reported Wednesday that voters rejected the new levy.

The impact of the loss of federal funds in the county — and the reported 80 percent layoffs in the local police force that it forced — was illustrated in harrowing fashion by Amelia Templeton's Tuesday, as she played a recording of a woman's desperate 911 call from August 2012, when the caller was told that there were no officers who could help. The problem was that the county's police were only on duty during daytime hours, from Monday to Friday.

And Wonkette has a different spin:

Josephine County, Oregon: Your New Libertarian Paradise!

Move over Galt’s Gulch! Get out of here, Somalia! Josephine County, Oregon, is here to show you how real rugged individualists do: by refusing to vote to raise property taxes, even though the county ain’t got no more police outside of regular business hours, and the sheriff says “every day” someone is the victim of a crime he cain’t stop (because criminals seem to have figured out this whole “business hours” thing), and by the way, if you’re planning on being the victim of a crime, he suggests (very nicely, really!) that you move.

Well I think statistically she is more likely to shoot herself or someone she knows than an unknown assailant. But that doesn't mean it still isn't helpful to have in the event of an unknown assailant!

Link?

By they way, if you read the article, she did know the assailant. It was her ex-boyfriend that already beat her on a previous occasion. So I guess that technically you are correct, she would have shot somebody she knows.

Link?

By they way, if you read the article, she did know the assailant. It was her ex-boyfriend that already beat her on a previous occasion. So I guess that technically you are correct, she would have shot somebody she knows.

Actually I was referring to Kellerman, et al, "Gun Ownership as a Risk Factor for Homocide in the Home", New England Journal of Medicine, 329 N. Engl. J. Med 1084 - 1094 (Oct. 7, 1993).

MMS: Error (not sure why this link indicates an error - it appears to work).

But I'm sure other statistical studies bear this out - it makes sense (it's just reality that we interact with people we know far more than ones we don't and in a very small percentage of cases, those interactions can get violent). Don't get me wrong though (as my initial posts says) I'm not saying this statistical reality condemns gun ownership, as people may need to use lethal force against someone they know in the most unfortunate of circumstances. It happens.

Though it certainly should strongly suggest to any gun owner that a gun in the house changes the dynamics when you're talking about fights with family members (or neighbors) or cases of mistaken identity (mistaken belief of an intruder). I'm not against gun ownership, but I heavily for very responsible gun ownership.

The sheriff’s department even put out a press release warning domestic violence victims to “consider relocating to an area with adequate law enforcement services.”

Wow, talk about an open invitation to perpetrators. As much as I find it incredible that the dispatcher made such inhumane, insensitive, and ludicrous statements, I find it equally incredulous a police department would make such a statement publicly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom