A 105-year-old runner created a new age bracket for the 100m — and set the record (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Don't bet against Julia "Hurricane" Hawkins.

The retired Louisiana teacher just became the first female track and field athlete in the 105+ age bracket to clock a time in the 100-meter dash.

Hawkins crossed the finish line in 1:02:95, a slightly slower time than she'd hoped for.

"It was wonderful to see so many family members and friends. But I wanted to do it in less than a minute," she said after the race, according to the National Senior Games Association.

Cute story. She took up running at the age of 100.

well that is incredible. Its hard to imagine anyone over 85 not having a real fear of falling.
That was my first thought. I'm thinking, odds of a face plant has to be pretty high, lol. I'd be happy to just be walking, let alone running at 100.

That was my first thought. I'm thinking, odds of a face plant has to be pretty high, lol. I'd be happy to just be walking, let alone running at 100.
yea, I don't think it would have to even be a face plant. At that age, any fall could break bones and literally stop you from even walking. Many of the people Ive known over 85 are scared of falling at all times.

My grandma is 86 and in pretty good health - I would be terrified if she attempted to run 1 meter.

:hihi:

Incredible story, indeed.

I’m not expecting to get past 80, much less doing wind sprints at 105

Keep moving. Our bodies were designed to stay in motion, so when we retire to the couch things break down. Like a car that's not driven or a house not lived in, things just break.

The oldest person in the world passed several years back at 122. She lived in an apartment in Paris. This was apparently a very desirable unit, so when she was 90, a 60 year old man got on the waiting list for the unit figuring “she’s 90, how long can it be?”

He passed away at 80 or 85, still on the waiting list :hihi:

a friend of mine lives around the corner from her (baton rouge). you can find her, just about every day, walking around the neighbourhood.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom