A bite from this tick can give you an allergy to red meat (1 Viewer)

TheDeparted

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Love Red Meat? Watch Out for Ticks. - WSJ.com

If Lyme disease isn't reason enough to avoid ticks, here's another: the inability to enjoy a burger.

Odd as it seems, researchers say that bites from the voracious lone star tick are making some people allergic to red meat—even if they've never had a problem eating it before.

The allergic reactions range from vomiting and abdominal cramps to hives to anaphylaxis, which can lead to breathing difficulties and sometimes even death.

Unlike most food allergies, the symptoms typically set in three to six hours after an affected person eats beef, pork or lamb—often in the middle of the night.

The bite that seems to precipitate it may occur weeks or months before, often making it difficult for people to make the link.

Cases of the unusual allergy were first identified at the University of Virginia at Charlottesville in 2007, and are now being reported as far north as Nantucket, Mass., and on the east end of New York's Long Island.

A bunch of people in NC have managed to contract this allergy. It sounds horrifying. Pork is the one I'd struggle with the most.

I actually thing this would be a great thing for American. :9:

I was thinking this would be a blessing in disguise. Horrible...but...chicken and salad would help me health wise.

Wow!

Finally...some recognition.

My sister was bitten by this tick in Fayetteville in 2008. Went to ER. They treated her immediately with a cocktail of antibiotics to stave off Lyme Disease. Within 1 month, while out eating a burger, she developed hives. Didnt think much of it. The very next week, she was eating roast beef and had an allergic reaction. Couldnt believe it.

She went to several docs in the Arkansas region. Batteries of tests but nothing. She did was convinced it was from the tick bite yet every Doc she saw said no way. Until she found a Doc in North Carolina. She traveled there to see him in 2010 and it was then she got her answer. It was the tick. They had studied this thing for years but it was relatively unknown.

She is allergic to all red meat. She can eat chicken and fish, but thats it.

Good news is, she was told the allergy made "fade" in several years as long as she doenst "challenge" it. She will be retested in 5 years to see the level of allergy she has.

Uh oh. I pulled a tick off me last week. Please pray for my gluttonous ***!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Good news is, she was told the allergy made "fade" in several years as long as she doenst "challenge" it. She will be retested in 5 years to see the level of allergy she has.

I was wondering about that. Is there any evidence that this happens? Has she been re-tested yet?

I think this is a plot by the Chick-Fil-A people. Word is, he's developing a new tick that makes gay men attracted to women. Or at least, allergic to poop-shoots.

For those that were about to ask:

images

I think it's an environmentalist/animal rights plot to make us quit eating red meat. It's the same people behind the global warming hoax. :elefant:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom