A Complete 180! (1 Viewer)

i swear some of the expectations are really unrealistic here. JUST BECAUSE WE HAVE THE MONEY DOESN'T MEAN A PLAYER WILL SIGN WITH US. How many people you know that are just dying to move down to N.O.? Not many. I love the place. Most people born and raised here do, but most of the players we want aren't. There are 32 teams and about only 10 really good FA's this year. It wasn't very good odds for us from the start.
Are you serious???? Money Talks my fellow Who Dat. If Brees didn't see dollars he would have settled for less in Miami if that were the case. I talked to Faine in 2006 while I was bartending and asked him if he liked New Orleans better than Cleveland. He looked at me as if I were the dumbest person alive just for asking that. He said he LOVES New Orleans. Faine got paid stupid money and left. By the way how has Cleveland done in FA thus far??? Money Talks......

Exactly. The people that defend the front office obviously defend mediocrity because that is what the saints have been for 7 years under this regime.

Lets be the Redskins...they rock!

Lets be the Redskins...they rock!
Then again nobody has ever said sign Adam Archuleta, Antwaan Randle El, Brandon Lloyd or a washed up Bruce Smith (and i'm sure i'm missing a couple dozen) to RIDICULOUS contracts.

Then again nobody has ever said sign Adam Archuleta, Antwaan Randle El, Brandon Lloyd or a washed up Bruce Smith (and i'm sure i'm missing a couple dozen) to RIDICULOUS contracts.

No, we've just said sign every single overpriced FA, no matter the situation, or our FO is the horrible.

Serious question. How many teams made a bigtime trade for a starting MLB, or position like that, and signed an overpriced FA? Seriously? I see so many people griping about how we didn't do anything. We've done just as much as every other team and we've locked up alot of key players that were already on the team along the way.

People need to understand that Briggs wanted an insane amount of money and not one GM in the NFL would give it to him .

No, we've just said sign every single overpriced FA, no matter the situation, or our FO is the horrible.

Serious question. How many teams made a bigtime trade for a starting MLB, or position like that, and signed an overpriced FA? Seriously? I see so many people griping about how we didn't do anything. We've done just as much as every other team and we've locked up alot of key players that were already on the team along the way.
I LOVE THE VILMA TRADE. There are 32 teams in the NFL and unless you have a Ray Lewis or a Brian Urlacher you should be thowing yourself after this guy, but lets be honest we gave up a conditional 4th rounder on a guy that is still injured. I hope and pray the guy comes back healthy and can be a big time player for us (and think he will) . To be honest I hope he's healthy, because unless we do something with our DT's, their is a great chance he will either set an NFL record for tackles or he will be hurt much worse than before he got here. I'm not saying "spend everything on whoever" or "trade our picks away" but, unless we do something between now and the draft, with our cap space and our picks we could have done more.

I LOVE THE VILMA TRADE. There are 32 teams in the NFL and unless you have a Ray Lewis or a Brian Urlacher you should be thowing yourself after this guy, but lets be honest we gave up a conditional 4th rounder on a guy that is still injured. I hope and pray the guy comes back healthy and can be a big time player for us (and think he will) . To be honest I hope he's healthy, because unless we do something with our DT's, their is a great chance he will either set an NFL record for tackles or he will be hurt much worse than before he got here. I'm not saying "spend everything on whoever" or "trade our picks away" but, unless we do something between now and the draft, with our cap space and our picks we could have done more.

We have Colston, Smith, Evans, a top 10 draft pick (as in 15 or so million guranteed), and an entire draft class to sign. That cap space will go quickly. Theres a reason so many teams are around 25-35 million in cap space but they aren't spending like crazy. The salary cap is going up also which means greatly inflated salaries.

I'm still not impressed with the front office and never have been. I can't wait to see what blows up in the draft. I had the most luke warm feeling after FA and the draft last year, I can only imagine what it'll be like this year.

Didn't I read somewhere that there was some talk about not having a salary cap.....LOL! I think then I'd just stop watching.

We dont have to sign every big name, but one would be nice

Dang. I guess Jonathen Vilma is a small name. MLB is the quaterback of the defense, and we got one who sets a great tempo, loves watching film, and leads by example. Also defensive rookie of the year and probowler when in 43 defense. Possible future HOF and will definately make more probowls with us; and we got him at a steal. That one sure is nice.

Like others have said, we don't want to sign EVERY big named FA out there, maybe just one!!! The excuses on here are amazing. Tell me how many times has it worked out the way you excuse-makers have said? How many times?

Let me help you ... NONE!

Dang. I guess Jonathen Vilma is a small name. MLB is the quaterback of the defense, and we got one who sets a great tempo, loves watching film, and leads by example. Also defensive rookie of the year and probowler when in 43 defense. Possible future HOF and will definately make more probowls with us; and we got him at a steal. That one sure is nice.

I can't believe how many people are missing the point here. Vilma was a GREAT move and a GREAT addition to the team, but that was via TRADE. We have NOT signed a single player in FA, except our own.

Actually if not for Vilma's injury, he would have been "the" biggest name out there in FA this year(Or right up there with Samuel & Briggs). He IS a huge signing for the Saints.

Yeah, I know he wasn't technically a free agent, but getting Vilma for some mid-round picks is big. He will be an every down MLB for us. The guy is smart, athletic and can make plays. I don't get why people are kind of sweeping this acquisition under the rug as if it's nothing.

Let's remember, this team has a fairly good record with clearing players with medical concerns--Drew Brees, Jammal Brown and Jeff Faine are probably the best examples. Even Eric Johnson and David Patten came to us as players with a horrible history of recent injuries, and both played pretty big roles last year. If this staff feels Vilma can return and be completely healthy, then I trust them.

The funny thing is...no of us know why we didnt sign lance briggs, nobody knows the offseason plan of this franchise...I understand the frustration people are having but its silly to say we have done a poor job...its a poor FA class and we still came out of it with a pro bowl caliber linebacker...thats big...most teams are signing 3-4 players are rebuilding (Dolphins, Falcons) we got a solid piece, to add to the solid piece we will get in the first and second round....our offense will still be kicking "donkey" and taking names...and we got a leader for our defense, a guy that can get people in the right place, recognize plays and what not...and at one of the most important positions on the defense.

We dont know what the FO plans for this offseason are, so yeah, you can say its the same ole's Saints FO (because you didnt like the moves or thought they could of done more) but judging from the fact we actually made a trade for a player and been pricing other guys says alot, but I guess as long as your complaining, then it shows you want to win....none of us are qualified to say what the Saints should be doing or shoudnt be, all we have to go by is what they show us, and although its one player, it showed me alot....I mean how many times would we actually of gotten a impact player that was available...how many Vilma threads would of been posted about getting him and in turn how many FO SUCKS threads would of came up when someone else jumped at the opportunity?

Not trying to tell those who are still upset about not getting Briggs, not to be upset....but really...when you manage the salary cap, you gotta think about the future and right now we have 4 players who are gonna command alot of money on the free agent market next year (Colston, Smith, Evans and Vilma) that we need to think about...it made sense to me not to sing Briggs even after I saw how little (compared to reports) he signed for....but I think Loomis and Co. knew that the rest of the "touble" spots could be addressed in the draft, specially since the FA Class was so weak this year....but I guess the one's who didnt like it, think thats all the FO is gonna do, they think they done enough.....well maybe your right....but always thinking the worse so you dont feel bad when it actually happens is no way to live your life...good things happened early this FA period for us...i'm gonna focus on that....not "what could of been".

Yep the 2006 season . . . pure mediocrity. No the people on the board that defend understand that you can't make a player sign with you, that you can't sign every big name player and expect to be successful (Redskins), that you can't trade away all of your draft picks and be successful (Redskins and Mike Ditka Saints), that you can't reach for players in the draft (Mike Ditka and Haslett Saints).

Way to live in the past. Did you watch any games last year?

Actually if not for Vilma's injury, he would have been "the" biggest name out there in FA this year(Or right up there with Samuel & Briggs). He IS a huge signing for the Saints.

Uhhhhhh, he wasn't a free agent dude!!!!! The Saints haven't signed him to anything. He probably has one year left on his contract.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom