NFL Draft A Couple Draft Notes: Zaven Collins status change and Saints Possibly Reach for 1st round CB.. (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
Per the most recent info presented via the Locked On Saints podcast w/ Ross Jackson... According to Jackson and his sources, Zaven Collins has added around 11 pounds since his Pro Day workout, and the belief is that he has added the weight because he is being advised that he should focus on becoming an EDGE defender (DE) rather than an off-ball LB. If that is the case, then I believe that Collins would no longer be in the mix for the Saints in round 1.

Also, Peter King has put out a mock draft... and according to Ross Jackson... King has reliable sources and information coming from NFL team camps.
King predicts the Saints select UGA CB Tyson Campbell at #28 in the 1st round. Campbell hasn’t really gotten much 1st round buzz heading into the draft, and while he impressed with his Pro Day workout and speed numbers (to go along with his size/length... he has been inconsistent during his college career, and his times speed doesn’t always show up in game action. I’m not crazy about the selection, but CB is a major need. The scariest part was King mentioning parallels to Stanley Jean-Baptiste when discussing the potential selection of Campbell.

When picking at #28 it is a logic premise that the best talent at ANY position will be taken. More so on this draft. Writers are telling us that teams have only around 14 players with a first round grade. It is not just because of the players, but also the situation.

We have to understand that we are building for years to come, not just this season. I don't see many chances of us trading down, but if we had an offer, I would not be angry if we trade down for picks next year (at better value).

Our biggest needs are at cornerback and linebacker, and the blue chip talents will be gone.

I am hoping someone not expected will fall to us, but right now, the way that I am seeing it, the best players available will be at wide receiver, running back and interior linemen (offense and defence).

I am sensing this board is not going to be very happy on Thursday night.

I don’t either... but if they are desperate for a CB and panic, it could be.

Personally, I would rather Asante Samuel Jr at #28 than Campbell. Even though Samuel is small, he’s an excellent cover CB.

Samuel fits the same mold as Janoris Jenkins. Small, quick and risk taker. Campbell is a bigger, stronger corner. Bigger than Lattimore.

These two are very different. If they are taking corner, it will depend on what Allen wants for a second corner, not only the physical attributes of the player.

Everything is a reach as #28.

Exactly. There may be 20 guys tops that have first round grades. At 28 you're basically selecting a guy with a 2nd round grade. I hope the LB from Notre Dame is still there but I doubt it. I wouldn't be upset if we traded up for the guy we want... neither would I be mad if we traded back.

My hope is that some good players fall to us at 28.

I just saw the Peter King mock. It is actually very good and shows nobody falling. If you want a worst case scenario for the Saints, take a look.

Given the options under this mock, I would say trade down if possible--but please go for value. Taking a cornerback at 28 will likely be a position-driven pick, which rarely works out.

I am afraid to say it, but the value at 28 might be offensive line.

If we stay at #28 I think the pick will be at a position other than CB or LB.
I'm willing to bet we move up and grab Newsome in the first if he falls past 20.

When picking at #28 it is a logic premise that the best talent at ANY position will be taken. More so on this draft. Writers are telling us that teams have only around 14 players with a first round grade. It is not just because of the players, but also the situation.

We have to understand that we are building for years to come, not just this season. I don't see many chances of us trading down, but if we had an offer, I would not be angry if we trade down for picks next year (at better value).

Our biggest needs are at cornerback and linebacker, and the blue chip talents will be gone.

I am hoping someone not expected will fall to us, but right now, the way that I am seeing it, the best players available will be at wide receiver, running back and interior linemen (offense and defence).

I am sensing this board is not going to be very happy on Thursday night.
CB is the number 1 need but I will put DT right there with LB as the secondary need for this team. I honestly do not see the Saints standing pat and not using one of their compensatory picks to trade up a few spots to get one of their guys whether it be at CB (Farley or Newsome), at LB (Collins, Davis, Owusu), or at DT (Barmore).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom