A couple of SC players impress Saints scouts (1 Viewer)

longtime lurker

Buddy D lives FOREVER!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
An interesting read. It looks like the Saints were really high on Cleve McCoy. He's a QB who also can play slot wide receiver. The Saints also want SC's James Lee, MEAC Offensive Lineman of the Year, to come in for a private visit.

...So, a Saints scout split McCoy out, gave him a few routes to run, and started slinging passes -- around 20 total -- in his direction. He didn't drop a one.

"I think I did pretty good today...I think I did pretty good today," McCoy said. "I had some good numbers. I worked out as a receiver with the (New Orleans) Saints guy. He said that he liked me, and that I am highly on their chart as a receiver with the times I had. He liked that I would be a big receiver that could potentially do two things (play receiver and quarterback), and I showed that I was an athlete which was a good thing."
TheTandD.com | McCoy impresses at SCSU Pro Day

South Carolina State's James Lee, the MEAC Offensive Lineman of the Year, shined.

Lee tied for the second most bench-press reps of 225 pounds with 26, ran a 5.2 40, and had a 31.5-inch vertical jump. He also turned in one of the days best broad jumps, 9'7".

"I feel like I went out there and made me some money today by increasing three of the six events, the bench, the broad and the vert, from last week in Athens," Lee said. "I talked to the scouts and they said they were impressed. I feel like I put myself in a better predicament."

Lee said he also had a strong workout with the Cleveland Browns Sunday, and that the Browns, Chiefs, Saints and Bears all want him to come in for private workouts.

I feel like I made me some money today? Players aren't supposed to say that. Very unimpressive.

Not to mention the saying "better predicament" doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I feel like I made me some money today? Players aren't supposed to say that. Very unimpressive.

I don't see why not. :shrug: That's what it is. That's what we say all the time. That's what coaches tell players. At some point you have to figure they'll actually pick up on that.

The coach at the NFL combine at the 40 yard dash even stressed it, how if you got off to a bad start it'd cost you a lot of money. This is a business, smart kid for figuring that out instead of pretending it's all candy canes and lollipops.

That QB sounds like a good dual-use guy. Play him at WR and teach him to be the backup QB. Payton loves to have guys who can do a lot. If he can play special teams, expect us to try to get him later in the draft or as a UDFA.

these are late round under the radar guys.....Payton likes those type players....I like taking chances on guys like these in rounds 5-7.

Cleve McCoy has some good numbers at QB
<table class="tablehead" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td align="left">YEAR</td><td> CMP</td> <td>ATT</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>CMP%</td> <td>YPA</td> <td>LNG</td> <td>TD</td> <td>INT</td> <td>SACK</td> <td>RAT</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table class="tablehead" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">2005</td> <td>108</td> <td>190</td> <td>1692</td> <td>56.8</td> <td>8.91</td> <td>79</td> <td>13</td> <td>6</td> <td>18</td> <td>147.91</td> </tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2006</td> <td>94</td> <td>183</td> <td>1224</td> <td>51.4</td> <td>6.69</td> <td>66</td> <td>10</td> <td>9</td> <td>17</td> <td>115.75</td> </tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2007</td> <td>108</td> <td>212</td> <td>1241</td> <td>50.9</td> <td>5.85</td> <td>71</td> <td>12</td> <td>10</td> <td>14</td> <td>109.36</td></tr></tbody></table>
He has also had numerous 100 yard rushing games, but I can't find anything that says he played WR at all.
We could get a 2 in 1 pick there, #3 project QB and WR depth

I don't see why not. :shrug: That's what it is. That's what we say all the time. That's what coaches tell players. At some point you have to figure they'll actually pick up on that.

The coach at the NFL combine at the 40 yard dash even stressed it, how if you got off to a bad start it'd cost you a lot of money. This is a business, smart kid for figuring that out instead of pretending it's all candy canes and lollipops.
He's a small school, late round prospect.

I'd much rather his opinion be "I just want a shot to play in the NFL", as opposed to bragging how a good workout, in shorts no less, "made me some money".

Didn't someone mention a while back that the Saints were in deep conversation with some kid from SC State back at the Senior Bowl?

Sounds like a guy Payton could use in some trick plays. Kind of like Pittsburgh did with Randle-El.

<table class="tablehead" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td align="left">YEAR</td><td> CMP</td> <td>ATT</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>CMP%</td> <td>YPA</td> <td>LNG</td> <td>TD</td> <td>INT</td> <td>SACK</td> <td>RAT</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table class="tablehead" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">2005</td> <td>108</td> <td>190</td> <td>1692</td> <td>56.8</td> <td>8.91</td> <td>79</td> <td>13</td> <td>6</td> <td>18</td> <td>147.91</td> </tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2006</td> <td>94</td> <td>183</td> <td>1224</td> <td>51.4</td> <td>6.69</td> <td>66</td> <td>10</td> <td>9</td> <td>17</td> <td>115.75</td> </tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2007</td> <td>108</td> <td>212</td> <td>1241</td> <td>50.9</td> <td>5.85</td> <td>71</td> <td>12</td> <td>10</td> <td>14</td> <td>109.36</td></tr></tbody></table>
He has also had numerous 100 yard rushing games, but I can't find anything that says he played WR at all.
Those aren't very good numbers. He's not a very accurate passer by those numbers. A college QB rating of 109 is equivalent to an NFL rating of 68. They use very different ratuing systems. He only threw for 1200 yards at 5.8 yards an attempt and barely completed half of them.

We see why is projected at receiver... :hihi:

looks to me like he got worse each year....that's not impressive to me... JMO

I don't mind looking outside the box at some wildcard players. I don't remember anyone jumping out and drooling over Colston two years ago. I don't care if every player we draft is a noname as long as it results to at least NFC Championships. All I really want is Defence til at least the 5th. I won't really complain if we go offence after the first two. JMO

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom