A Critical Assessment of Drew's Postseason Career (1 Viewer)

I'm sure SP and the FO are reading all our posts on SSF to make the final decision on Brees. Man - I love Colorado - lol.

At this point, I’m convinced people are trolling the forums. It’s the only logical explanation for these threads continually popping up. I feel like I’m in bizzaro world
I think some may be, but I think a lot of people on the forum have been quietly thinking some of these things and this loss has given them a push to say something. A year ago, if someone said anything that could be considered negative about Brees, this forum would seem to come down on them and crush them. Now that more people are constructively criticizing his play, they feel they can say something.

The only team Brees has lost to in the playoffs that went on to win the Super Bowl is the 2013 Seattle Seahawks. And that was a game where the Saints had nearly 150 more yards total than the Seahawks on offense. Drew simply could not finish the drives with TDs or easier FG attempts.

12-4 star studded Chargers team vs. 10-6 pedestrian Jets team that would go on to lose to a Rookie Ben Roethlisberger the following week.

The Bears would of course lose to the Colts in the Super Bowl. Pretty much the same Colts team we would defeat 3 years later and would have defeated in 2006.

The 7-9 Seahawks got their butts kicked against Jay Cutler and the Bears the next week after beating us.

The 49ers lost to Eli Manning and the Giants. We all know we would have destroyed the Giants in our house.

The 2017 Vikings got SLAUGHTERED against Nick Foles and the Eagles in the NFC Championship.

The Rams scored 3 freaking points in the Super Bowl after that catastrophe of an NFC Championship Game.

The Vikings are going to get KILLED this week against the 49ers.

My point is, yes... it's a team game. However, we have had the better team time and time again. One of the main differences is that the opposing QBs made the big time throws WHEN IT COUNTED and played more consistently throughout 4 quarters of football!

You can bring up Brees' stats all you want but numbers don't tell the whole story. Rewatch the games and see how each loss can be attributed to Brees' poor play in either the first half of the game or in a critical moment down the stretch. Blame goes all around, sure, but it does not surpass Brees at all. If Brees plays at a truly elite level, the Saints would have won nearly all of the postseason losses they suffered during his tenure here.

I know expecting perfection is asking for a LOT, however Drew has so often given us perfection in the regular season that I can't help but expect it when the playoffs arrive. The fact that Brees hasn't consistently delivered epic performances in the postseason will impact his legacy and deservedly so.

When you raise the bar like Brees has done time and time again in the REGULAR SEASON, you anticipate him to be magical come playoff time... Michael Jordan-esque. But Brees simply isn't on that level and it's a tough pill to swallow.

The only team Brees has lost to in the playoffs that went on to win the Super Bowl is the 2013 Seattle Seahawks. And that was a game where the Saints had nearly 150 more yards total than the Seahawks on offense. Drew simply could not finish the drives with TDs or easier FG attempts.

12-4 star studded Chargers team vs. 10-6 pedestrian Jets team that would go on to lose to a Rookie Ben Roethlisberger the following week.

The Bears would of course lose to the Colts in the Super Bowl. Pretty much the same Colts team we would defeat 3 years later and would have defeated in 2006.

The 7-9 Seahawks got their butts kicked against Jay Cutler and the Bears the next week after beating us.

The 49ers lost to Eli Manning and the Giants. We all know we would have destroyed the Giants in our house.

The 2017 Vikings got SLAUGHTERED against Nick Foles and the Eagles in the NFC Championship.

The Rams scored 3 freaking points in the Super Bowl after that catastrophe of an NFC Championship Game.

The Vikings are going to get KILLED this week against the 49ers.

My point is, yes... it's a team game. However, we have had the better team time and time again. One of the main differences is that the opposing QBs made the big time throws WHEN IT COUNTED and played more consistently throughout 4 quarters of football!

You can bring up Brees' stats all you want but numbers don't tell the whole story. Rewatch the games and see how each loss can be attributed to Brees' poor play in either the first half of the game or in a critical moment down the stretch. Blame goes all around, sure, but it does not surpass Brees at all. If Brees plays at a truly elite level, the Saints would have won nearly all of the postseason losses they suffered during his tenure here.

I know expecting perfection is asking for a LOT, however Drew has so often given us perfection in the regular season that I can't help but expect it when the playoffs arrive. The fact that Brees hasn't consistently delivered epic performances in the postseason will impact his legacy and deservedly so.

When you raise the bar like Brees has done time and time again in the REGULAR SEASON, you anticipate him to be magical come playoff time... Michael Jordan-esque. But Brees simply isn't on that level and it's a tough pill to swallow.

Who do you consider to be on that Michael Jordan-esque level? If it's Brady, I think you really should go look at his playoff stats and then go look at the defenses that backed him up over the years.

Just for reference, here is number of points allowed by Patriots from 2001 - 2019 (Brady era) - https://bit.ly/2QZfZ1N

Here is the points allowed by saints from 2006 - 2019 (Brees era) - https://bit.ly/2QWDnNn

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom