A Deer Hit My Car (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
I was driving on the loop around town at dusk last night, when "BAM!" and somthing brown and furry flashed past my window.

Pulling over and turning on my flashers, I got out to find a four-point buck laying on the shoulder behind me, with his head stretched out across the line and into traffic. Bits and pieces of my driver side mirror littered the road.

I flagged the oncoming traffic to slow down. A car pulled over and a woman jumped out to see if I was OK.

That's when the deer got up. Yes, got up. He flopped over on his side again, got up again, stumbled off to the side and went out through the bushes.

Well, at least it was my old Monte Carlo...eight years, 207,000 miles.

Attachments

• Deer2.jpg
    Deer2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Wow, you're lucky. People can really get hurt when they hit a deer sometimes. I hit one full-on with the front of a Buick Park Avenue once. Rippled up the whole hood.

If you look just forward of the door handle you'll see a second impact point and there's a third one just above the rear wheelwell. Apparently, he hit just behind the front wheelwell and kinda rolled down the side of the car.

Good thing you were in a Park Avenue for that head-on meeting.

I've had to come to a complete stop for deer several times in the last couple weeks. Been driving 20mph under the speed limit after dusk since I see them so often my semi-rural road.

Have a busy run near here that gets one or two cars every year. Biggest toll has been paid by sports cars, both a Camaro and Mustang veered across the road and into the ditch.

Several years ago I had to put down a crippled deer after a truck hit it without stopping. It was claimed by a hungry passerby within 30 minutes.

Glad to see your mishap was relatively minor, Dads. Boy, they must have some tiny deer in texas. A NY deer woulda taken out the entire side. Everything's bigger in texas, my foot.

For my own story, I was driving home one night years ago in my 1990 geo metro (yeah, I know) when I saw a medium sized doe on the side of the road. Had just about gotten it down to 20 mph, when she decided to go for it...... right in front of me. Luckily, the nose of the car was so low to the ground, it swept her hooves out from under her, she rolled up the hood, up the windshield, across the roof of the car, and off the back. Once I got the car stopped, I went back to look her over. She got up, looked at me and bounded off into the woods. The only real damage was a broken headlight adjuster. Heck, the next day I saw the same deer in my backyard, eating my apples. How did I know it was her? She had white paint on her left rear leg. Stupid deer.

I'm glad you're okay DD. Had the deer been a couple of feet to your right it could have come through your windshield.

On a road trip a couple of years ago, a deer took out my headlight and turn signal. I was trying to give newly licensed Daughter #2 as much highway driving practice as possible. While on the Natchez Trace, she whipped to the right to dodge a small animal and lost control when she hit the brakes with right tires on the soft shoulder. It scared the **** out of all of us.
I told her that next time she should just continue forward and slow down if possible.

A few days later, on another back road FM near Newton TX, several deer started across the highway in front of us. I don't think daughter even took her foot off the gas, just braced for the impact. The hind half was hit by our Tahoe going about 60 m/p/h.

"Oh my god! Is he okay? Is he okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, he's fine." I lied.

Glad to see your mishap was relatively minor, Dads. Boy, they must have some tiny deer in texas. A NY deer woulda taken out the entire side. Everything's bigger in texas, my foot.
Yeah, we do. We had a ranch on the western edge of the hill country where, IIRC, deer averaged about 70 pounds field dressed. We have an overpopulation problem.

Backstrap.....:jpshakehead:
In our case, a sheriff or deputy (coming from the opposite direction) saw it happen and pulled off. I suspect he salvaged the backstrap.

It would have crushed daughter to know she killed that deer.

Did you get his plate #?

Did the dear have any doe.........?
Yeah......2 bucks....

I've never hit a deer (come close though), but I've heard you shouldn't break, but rather accelerate. Is this true? Even for an SUV like a jeep cherokee?

Glad you and the deer are alright. Sounds like you just knocked his a** out.

I've been hunting all year and I haven't killed crap. I guess I should just start driving in Texas and try to take one down with the Tahoe.

This week, it was my son-in-law's turn. Daughter's Altima is totaled. He had a small bruise on his wrist from the air bag. Managed to drive the car home from 10 miles away. Yeah, there was deer fur stuck all over the place and in the radiator.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom