A DEFINING MOMENT IN OUR SEASON...(very, very long) (1 Viewer)

Great read, 60minutes!......I disagree with one conclusion, though.....this team is no longer PERCEIVED to be a great team.....this team is talked about how great they are!

Time of perception is over! They were perceived to be good after week 2, after beating the Eagles....but the talk turned considerably when the Saints beat the Giants with the same score....48 points! Experts now are talking about the greatness of this Saints team....even today, just a few minutes ago Pat Kirwan on Sirius made a point differentiating between this Saints team and the Colts...explaining that the Colts only had 15 minutes at their disposition to beat the Phins.......that reasoning cannot be applied to the Saints, for one simple reason.......the Saints score much faster than the Colts, and they score more points than the Colts!

This is a huge difference between playing both teams......the wildcat is meaningless if the Saints score TDs on their first 3 possessions......that means....the Phins better keep up on the scoreboard, or they will find themselves down by 21 points!!!....all that could be in the 1st qt!!

According to Kirwan, this is the game in which Chad Henne will be asked to play regular football, and start throwing the ball to keep up....a huge chance to take when there is one player in the Saints backfield who like a predator is watching his every move....ready to step in for the kill at any moment!......asking all this from a player with 3 games under his belt.....an almost impossible task to fulfill! No wonder experts are seeing the Saints as winners in this game!

Now that doesn't mean the Saints can win 100% this game.......turnovers, and the weather both can influence the outcome.....they all agree!....but all things being equal, the Saints should win this game by a comfy margin, and that is their stance....they picked the Saints to win!

About the history......yes, we did have great teams in the past.....like the teams in the Dome Patrol days.....but those teams weren't near as good as this team is!....lets take position by position.....QB, TE, OL, WRs RBs this team is loaded with talent! No Saints offense came even close to this one......and experts are saying that this Saints offense is the best in the league. No other offense is better than the Saints offense based on the games they played.

The D is also loaded with talent......we have 3 1st rounders at the DL, our LBs are playing extremely good, and our secondary is if not the best in the league, is certainly top 3! We lead the league in takeaways, and we have a FS who leads in INTs......

All in all, baring an unforeseen meltdown, by turning the ball over on multiple occasions....the Saints should win this game for all the reasons experts laid out. And that is the result of recognition of grading this team's performance so far.....after 6 weeks...the Saints are the best team in football!

I confess, I didn't read the post. I disagree with premise being posited at the outset so simply and completely I can't imagine what compelling rational you put forward in that novel.

This is, arguably, one of the single least important games we will play this regular season. "Every game is important", fair enough. But if some are more important (like the Giants last week for the HFA tie breaker or Atlanta next week to take command of the division) then others, the Dolphins game this Sunday has to rank among the absoloute least important games we will play at all this season.

Even Buffalo (because it may be the one slightly crummy weather game we play all year) and the NYJets (momentum into the bye, a tough physical game) were more important then this game.

Next week's game is far more significant IMO. Our closest division rival, at home -- we really need to win that one.

I confess, I didn't read the post. I disagree with premise being posited at the outset so simply and completely I can't imagine what compelling rational you put forward in that novel.

This is, arguably, one of the single least important games we will play this regular season. "Every game is important", fair enough. But if some are more important (like the Giants last week for the HFA tie breaker or Atlanta next week to take command of the division) then others, the Dolphins game this Sunday has to rank among the absoloute least important games we will play at all this season.

Even Buffalo (because it may be the one slightly crummy weather game we play all year) and the NYJets (momentum into the bye, a tough physical game) were more important then this game.

:potd:

I agree, outside of some possible "throw away" games at the end of the season, there is no game with as little significance as this one.

It's like some of you guys are already making excuses for losing.

There is nothing wrong with winning every game and wanting to prove something. So lets go out and do it. A lot of people in the media saying that the "wildcat" will be the edge a team needs to beat us. I say let's establish the blueprint for stifling their niche offense.

I think this defense and The Gregg are up to the challenge of stopping the wildcat or atleast containing it.

There is nothing wrong with winning every game and wanting to prove something. So lets go out and do it.

Where did I hear that before?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IMk5sMHj58I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IMk5sMHj58I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

There is nothing wrong with winning every game and wanting to prove something. So lets go out and do it. A lot of people in the media saying that the "wildcat" will be the edge a team needs to beat us. I say let's establish the blueprint for stifling their niche offense.

I think this defense and The Gregg are up to the challenge of stopping the wildcat or atleast containing it.

I didn't read every word of this thread, who made excuses for losing?

I had a math teacher that was really into Fudge Rounds. Brought him Fudge Rounds one time and got extra credit. Memories...

I reformatted the OP. Should be fine now.

This is the most important of the year so far. It's the only chance we'll ever have to go 6-0.

The next two are the ones, this is a waystop. Crushing our closest division rival is when all the intangible things starts to become meaningful. Cresting over to become 8-0 to achieve our best start ever and to become only the 10th team since 1990 (bye weeks added and 6 playoff teams/conference year) becomes really significant. If we lose at Miami to me it's pretty much the same as dropping any one non-division game between the Eagles and the Patriots as long as the overall record doesn't change anything besides temporary hype. Sure NFC games matter a hair more for tie-breakers, but I think it's around 8-0 that you get a true watershed on record alone.

Atlanta becomes a watershed because it gives us space on the division and a chance to blast a rival. Miami is just one of the wins that means something in aggregate, but is the same stepping stone that the Bills or Jets were, to me at least.

I agree about this game against Miami and it's importance to the big outcome, but I disagree that this game has little importance. This is a statement game for our defense. This is a game, through all the WC talk, that our D can go out, shut them down and be independently considered awesome as compared to our O. Yeah our D shut the NYG down, but it can be said it's because our O scored and took them out their game. This is a game where our D will shut MIA down, give our O the ball and we will win because of our D. Reminescent of the BUF & NYJ game, but this game is now, thats why its important.

Our D has played too good thus far for their rep to be smeared because of the WC. GW understands that and thats why it wont happen.

Its all about the D maintaining not their cockiness but their confidence.

Fair enough. You are free to have your own opinion on the game, and I respect that. Where I disagree is that you seem to believe that my post is arguing from a trajectory that the game has certain implications despite not reading it. That would be true, especially since Miami is an AFC opponent who won't nearly have an impact on our bottom line as say a game against a division rival or NFC foe. But I attempted to establish the fact that a loss in this game does not take away from the possibility of this being a "Super" season. My contention here is that the game defines how this team plays with its perceived greatness. How does the team respond now when it becomes the hunted rather than the hunter? When everyone is "eating the cheese" and talking of a "Super" season around you, how do you go out and continue to show the hunger and desire to be the best that has gotten you to the 5-0 start thus far? This is what my thread is about, and I clearly indicate that this is not about the Dolphins in the post. It is about us, and I say that explicitly. In that regard, the Dolphins could very well be any other team in the league. The game is of import to us in my opinion because it comes after what some people are attempting to call an emotional win and it precedes a huge game against our top competition at the moment in the NFC South. So it's a trap game for a team who has a history of letdown. And it is coming at a time when the league has finally begun to take notice that we are one of the superior teams. Losing won't destroy our season. But I am firm in my opinion that winning can make palpable everything this team has been saying over the last few weeks about not eating the cheese, not being satisfied with just a great start, and not overlooking any other team. That's what great teams do, and I believe that this Sunday we will show that we're a great team!

:plus-un2: That's sort of my point. A lot of fans tend to get a little antsy when the team is getting too much attention. We like to fly under the radar. But at some point, if you are to build a consistent winner, you are not going to be able to fly under the radar. You are going to have to win games even when it is expected, and even when the opposing team would like nothing more than to beat you because you are considered one of the elite teams. We are now considered to be an elite team by many accounts, and this Sunday gives us the chance to do what elite teams do--beat teams that you are clearly better than even when people are hoping for an upset.

I reformatted the OP. Should be fine now.

Thanks!

I honestly do not want to rain on a parade anywhere, but I have to get this off my chest..

I thought last weeks game against the Giants (5-0) was the defining moment of our season. I really just do not get how the Dolphins (2-3) is in any way more definitive.
I was more worried, actually, FAR more worried about the Giants game (by 'far more', I mean just a tiny bit altogether....) than I am about this weekends matchup.

Is it just me?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom