A different LSU option, can Delpit replace Von Bell? (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am convinced more the ever that Drew came for another shot at the title. I am convinced also he has been informed in details of the organization plans for 2020.

So I will like to start a very preliminary draft conversation.

thinking on the obvious needs, we have the departures of Andrus Pete, Von Bell and the need of a second receiver.

I think we have in house the replacement for Pete was in Nick Easton. We can delay drafting an interior lineman for later rounds.

This a deep draft for receivers, so maybe we can delay until the third round to-pick one.

And the it’s strong safety. I love Bell and for that reason he will get an offer elsewhere. I liked what I saw of Delpit but you guys as homers should have a more informed opinion.

Your thoughts if he will fit with our team?

I was reading Nick Underhill’s AMA today on Reddit. He feels as if that will be CJGJ’s role if we don’t re-sign Bell.

Also, (sorry LSU fans), I’ve read that Delpit Isn’t quite as high on scouts’ boards as the media hype.

I was reading Nick Underhill’s AMA today on Reddit. He feels as if that will be CJGJ’s role if we don’t re-sign Bell.

Also, (sorry LSU fans), I’ve read that Delpit Isn’t quite as high on scouts’ boards as the media hype.

I don’t want CGJ to take Bell’s position. I think he can actually take PJ William’s job.

I was thinking on Delpit because I liked what I saw (without much analysis) and I have seen him going at around selection #25.

Last edited:
Bell was the most consistent player besides Demario Davis on an inconsistent defense. You keep him especially since safeties are only getting paid about 6-8 million at best. You could go the route of swapping him but since you are likely getting a new #2 CB with apple departing it's easier to replace 1 player than it is two.

2014 was a good example of what happens when you try to replace multiple members of the secondary at once. Communication falls off a cliff

Bell was the most consistent player besides Demario Davis on an inconsistent defense. You keep him especially since safeties are only getting paid about 6-8 million at best. You could go the route of swapping him but since you are likely getting a new #2 CB with apple departing it's easier to replace 1 player than it is two.

2014 was a good example of what happens when you try to replace multiple members of the secondary at once. Communication falls off a cliff

Elias, don’t get me wrong. I don’t want him to go. I am not certain we can afford him.

And if we can’t, strong safety will be our biggest need.

I am convinced more the ever that Drew came for another shot at the title. I am convinced also he has been informed in details of the organization plans for 2020.

So I will like to start a very preliminary draft conversation.

thinking on the obvious needs, we have the departures of Andrus Pete, Von Bell and the need of a second receiver.

I think we have in house the replacement for Pete was in Nick Easton. We can delay drafting an interior lineman for later rounds.

This a deep draft for receivers, so maybe we can delay until the third round to-pick one.

And the it’s strong safety. I love Bell and for that reason he will get an offer elsewhere. I liked what I saw of Delpit but you guys as homers should have a more informed opinion.

Your thoughts if he will fit with our team?

Delpit could/should turn into what Vonn Bell is now. Similar players and I'll go out on a limb and say similar ceilings. But that would likely take some time. Vonn Bell is that good now. SS contracts aren't usually a premium and even if he gets some nice offers, our front office has shown that they will find the cap room to fit in our guys. I agree with Ellias, it's almost a certainty we'll have a new #2 CB next season. I really don't like the idea of having 2 new faces back there. Familiarity is important. An offense can score on you just as often on a mis-communication as it can from a DB getting burned. Probably more often.

Also, I don't really feel comfortable with Easton as our starter. In fact, that's the position I'm expecting us to take with our first pick in the draft. Not necessarily targeting a position over BPA, I just feel like our FO puts a lot of positional value on OL, DL, and CB. As it should. Of the 3, it seems blue-chip DL and CBs don't slide. A top OG could very well slide right to us. Like last year with the OC McCoy.

Keep Bell

If we draft Delpit, he should be more in a Mathieu role, but we already have CJGJ for that

1st round give me a WR or a nasty run blocking guard

Delpit will be coveted by teams as a true Single-High, center Fielding playmaker. (The role Marcus Williams currently plays in our Defense) He's much rangier, and has better in flight ball tracking abilities than Vonn Bell. His only weakness on tape was the missed arm tackles. (Bell's best trait is tackling down in traffic)

If you want a player more comparable to Vonn Bell in this Draft it's Xavier McKinney from Alabama. He is your true "enforcer" box safety who comes down diagnoses plays in the running game, gets in the backfield blitzing, and lays the wood on Tight ends and receivers. 6 forced fumbles in two years as a starter.

Really both of these guys are first round talents at safety which ever you prefer is down to preference and scheme fit. Delpit is a bit rangier and will probably make more splash play interceptions in true deep coverage but McKinney fits right into Vonn Bell's role almost perfectly as a versatile Box safety if the Saints were to lose him in Free agency.

No need to apologize because I read the exact opposite.

People that criticize his play through the high ankle sprain while playing out of position this year somehow overlook that he was the best defensive player in football last year when he was named a unanimous All-American. He started 10 of 13 games his freshman season, every game his sophomore season and missed a couple games his junior season against lesser teams to heal up for the more important games later in the season. He has shown a knack for making plays since he showed up on campus which is something no other safety can say in this draft class. He's not the Alpha Dog that Jamal Adams was, but he's still the best safety in this draft.

There's going to be a run on linemen early in this draft. We're it not for that, Delpit would be a top 10 pick.

I didn’t know that people felt this way about Bell. I’ve always thought he was a beast on defense. He always has a knack for finding the ball. I hope he stays a saint for a long time.

Granted, his INT numbers aren’t ideal for a safety, but his FF and FR are elite. He’s a great hybrid safety/LB

I like Delpit as the SS a lot, his coverage skills are very good.I think Bell is as good as gone and that was put into effect once they saw how good CGJ was. But I think we start CJ at the nickel and still leaves a hole at the SS spot which i would love Delpit to fill

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom