A Different sort of Draft Strategy (1 Viewer)

Buda

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
How about we target....wait for it....

Matt Barkley

Before you flame me, consider this:

This is a kid with all the physical potential in the world - who seems smart and willing to learn. With the right coaching and tutelage, he could become all-world. And who better than Sean and Drew to bring him around. I know he might expect to play sooner than he will if he comes here under Brees -- but think Aaron Rogers.

What I'm saying is: we may have a chance at pick 15 to get our future franchise quaterback. Such chances don't come around too often. The really great franchises who have long-term success think this way.

Just a thought to consider...

Flame away......

2vvulqe.jpg

Next time, just say no, bro.

Better put this on.

Fire-Fighters-Suit-1.jpg

I'm not against picking a QB in the draft even if we have Brees, but picking one before round 4 means you are drafting to replace Brees.
Picking a QB in the first round, without any need, well then you better be sure the kid becomes a superstar, or you pass.

Here's what I think:

Attachments

• d30cf57d8102aec6ac68a0e4da1796b1_answer_2_xlarge.png
    d30cf57d8102aec6ac68a0e4da1796b1_answer_2_xlarge.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 315
In all seriousness, I think you're about two years early with this.

We don't need to "groom" a QB for several years to take over for Drew. These days, with the advancement of college offenses and the amount of off-season work these rookies get before their first camp, QBs can step in and play right away. At most, you'd only need a guy behind Drew for one year, if that.

I say address QB in 2015 at the very earliest, and only if the right guy is there and if Brees is showing obvious signs of a steep decline.

No offense, but its a horrible idea.

The problem is, with Quarterbacks only one is ever gonna see the field, especially when you have a Drew Brees caliber one. Matt Barkley is not worth the 15th pick when you consider that Drew will more than likely be playing in 4 years and he can test the market (no way to franchise QBs anymore with the Brees, Flacco, Rodgers, Manning, Brady (well for the next 2 years at least in his case)) contracts out there. He is also not worth the 15th pick because he is not that good. Also even though picks are slotted now and its a lot less money, 1st rounders still get a pretty good amount. Can we really afford the extra couple million and tie up that much money in QB. I do not think so.

Any other position we can find a way to get the player on the field, CBs you play multiple, WRs you play multiple, RBs get rotated in and can find playing time, Dline get rotated and you can find ways to get them on the field, basically any other position on the field we can find a way to use a guy. Except QB.

In Summary:

Matt Barkley will not be BPA at 15. We have the best QB this team has ever seen still playing at a high level. Barkley will ride the bench for the duration of his contract and will hit the market before he ever takes a snap for us (barring injury, in which case we are screwed anyway) We have 18 million or so already tied up in QB, and that number is going up, we really can't afford another 2-3 plus million on a QB who will never see the field.

Bad idea IMHO. The window is now, with Drew Brees. When Drew is 36 - 37 we can start drafting for a replacement to groom.

with the way Drew was treated in SD, and the relationship he and coach and he and the city have; this would be the equivalent of sleeping with your wife's younger sister in front of her, on your bed, on your anniversary

think of the children!!!

Too soon to groom a replacement and too high a pick to groom for a trade investment.

Until USC produces a great NFL QB (Carson Palmer doesn't qualify), HELL NO!

You make a good point if you are going to draft a QB you should probably draft one from Purdue, UCLA, or West Los Angeles Junior College...

Purdue
Len Dawson
Bob Griese
Drew Brees

UCLA
Troy Aikman
Bob Waterfield

Los Angeles Junior College
Warren Moon

I'd rather bring in a kid like Ryan Griffin, from Tulane... Why? He's going rd-7 - UDFA, and while he doesn't have the winning record, he supposedly has a very strong arm, is very intelligent, and can read a defense fairly well.

Put him in camp, and let him learn... See what happens.

Next year, same thing... Bring him back, but also find another UDFA in the same mold; Didn't have a great supporting cast, but has the measurables, is mature, and intelligent. Rinse/Repeat.

I figure you've got 3-4 years to find Drew's successor... Not that he necessarily won't still be playing in 3-4 years, but I think that's a decent window to develop a new QB and determine if he can be the future, or terminal backup. Each year for the next 3-4 years you get another chance to find your guy.

If the team really likes him, sure.. maybe in the 3rd or 4th round if he's still there. But no way at #15.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom