A few players away from making this offense scary again (1 Viewer)

They stalled big time in some games like DeTRoit, NYG, KC, Tampa, Car, and early in games vs teams like ATL.

They can definitely improve.

I think it starts with the line. Give Brees time and he will tear anyone apart.

He was under duress a good portion of those games.

No matter how good your line is people still have to get open to make plays. Like I said earlier keeping more blocking te's in to protect might be an option as well.

Im all for fixing the secondary and adding depth to the oline but there are areas where the team can improve on Offense.

This is my main problem with the "deep threat" WR. No way, no how, am I taking Thomas, Cooks, or Snead off the field to replace with someone else. Those three are way too good at what they each do to try to replace them with someone who is probably a one trick pony. So now you have a guy who is only going to be out there for MAYBE 10 plays a game where you go 5 wide.

It's just not my idea of a good place to spend resources. Kamara would be an ideal value vs. resource add in the 3rd round, IMHO, if he's still around. If not, there are quite a few other guys who look very good in that roll and that part of the draft.

The Saints need a pass rusher, a joker RB, a LB, and a backup RT out of this draft. Luckily, these are basically the only positions that this draft is deep in, lol! All the other positions are mediocre at best.

The keystone to getting Brees another Super Bowl ring is this year's free agency period. Simple as that.

We can get creative if we wanted to. If we go 5 wide, i'm thinking of having MT in place of Fleener, TLL in place of the RB who's split out wide and Cooks, Snead and new deep threat.

With that type of lineup, you won't see any tight man to man coverage, or the defense cheating towards Cooks' side.

There's some partial truth to that statement, but as previously mentioned, someone has to get open to make the catch. If we had ATL's offense, we would have won a few more games.

The saints were also only 16th in rushing. In 2009 they were 6th.

Three important things factor into that though.

1. Number of attempts. 468 in 2009 compared to 404 in 2016. The Saints flat out ran the ball more. They had more opportunities to run the ball because they rarely had to play from behind and be forced into being pass heavy.

2. Offensive Line. The 2009 offensive line was the best line in franchise history, and was the best line in the entire NFL in 2009. Bushrod, Nicks, Goodwin, Evans, Stinchcomb, Strief are undeniably as a unit on a different level compared to anything else we've ever seen in Black and Gold.

3. The defense created a crazy amount of turnovers and forced punts. The 2009 defense allowed 21.3 points per game, compared to 2016's 28.4 points per game. They held Brady and the Patriots to 17 points. Warner and the Cardinals to 14 points. Favre and the Vikings to 28 points. Manning and the Colts to 17 points. Against that ridiculous foursome of Quarterbacks (and Adrian freaking Peterson) and all their weapons, the 2009 defense allowed 19 points per game. We got excited this season when the Saints defense only allowed 20 points in the first half.

That 2009 team was just way more complete of a team than 2016.

They stalled big time in some games like DeTRoit, NYG, KC, Tampa, Car, and early in games vs teams like ATL.

To me personally, they need a "Joker" Running Back and a Guard on offense. And Armstead to be healthy. I think that will be the elixir they need on offense to stay on track from opening kickoff to the final kneel down.

The problem with the deep threat is who will he replace? Maybe he can come in on certain packages, but he'll either replace(temporarily) Thomas or Snead. I think they'll keep Coleman for at least another year.

I'll swap Coleman out for a speed guy. The worse thing that happened to Coleman is that mike Thomas came in and balled the way he did. Coleman is coming up on... year 3? 4? And is still VERY inconsistent.

You take replace Coleman for a true speed guy, and draft/sign a young guy to develop.
<script>window.post_1486401354076_9 = function(win,msg){ win.postMessage(msg,"*"); }</script><script>window.post_1486401372116_28 = function(win,msg){ win.postMessage(msg,"*"); }</script>

our offense is already scary. I hope that the board lines up to where BPA is positions of need on defense. We need a speedy, sideline to sideline linebacker and a edge setting DE and a stud corner to round out this defense. Either by draft, great draft to accomplish this, or by free agency. Do not draft a qb this draft. Let's build this team to compete for Drew and then when he does retire, we have a team already built to help the new qb.

I'm sorry but you're not gonna get perfection 100% of the time in sports. I get what you're saying but our offense puts up gaudy numbers and if they struggle, it's a GUARANTEED loss. For the last 10 years we've been consistently Top 5 in offense but for like the last 5 years we've been consistently Bottom 3 in defense and not that great in special teams either. Offense is not the problem. I can't stress that enough.

It's like you have a point guard who shoots 98% from the freethrow line, 70% from the field, however he commits 44 turnovers a game and you're talking about how he needs to get his FT% up to 100 because you can point to a few times where the PG didn't score as much. That would be utterly ridiculous.

Our offense was solid this year, but we were not as explosive and scary as we had been in the past. We are 4 players away, and here's what we need (in no particular order):

Reggie/Sproles-type running back to cause mismatches against LBs

James White in this super bowl once again reminded us how a scat-back can cause problems for defenses. our offense was at its peak when Reggie Bush and Sproles were screaming past LBs and causing problems for defenses. We need one of those guys. Payton tried to use Cadet in that role, and it just never materialized the way he wanted.

Speedy WR to run the clear-out routes

When Meach and Devery were running those deep routes it opened up so much in the passing game. Brandin Cooks is fast but I'd rather not waste him on clear-out routes. Find one REALLY fast guy to run those routes and let Cooks, Snead and Mike T do work.

We need Fleener to step up, or find a TE that will

I haven't given up on Fleener I think he can be special in this offense because he has the ability, but we need a solid receiving threat at the TE spot. Graham and Watson showed how a TE can be dominant in this offense... we need Fleener to become THAT guy.

Solidify the Oline

I think we are a solig RG away from solidifying the line, but we also may need to find Streif's replacement, so we may be 2 OGs away. Maybe we have him on the roster already (Landon turner) but I'm ready to move on from the other guys.

Time to get ready to make this run, and if we get those positions filled we'll be alright. WHO DAT!

Three out of four ain't bad. Still need item 3 to step up consistently.

I like our 2 man running back system. Kamara is everything I wanted from Bush that 1st season and more. I'll stick with the 2 back system.

We do need a TE badly. Brees needs that intermediate safety net. As of now, it's Thomas or a running back and those aren't always the best safety nets as we've seen Thomas get doubled a lot and sometimes the RB gets hit behind the LoS for a loss (like against chicago)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom